Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the pill and anti-biotics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does taking anti-biotics effect the pill? Does it stop it working properly
what if you're on the few days after you stop taking the pill and before your period? Is there any risk of getting pregnant then?

The reason I ask is because i'm (well, my g/f) is in this situation and I thought we better check before we do anything un-protected.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Antibiotics do render the pill less effective. It is always advisable to use extra contraception (eg condoms) from the day she starts taking the antibiotics until approximately 7 days after she has finished the antibiotic course...hope that helps :)
  • Options
    Not what I wanted to hear but thanks, that helped! :)
  • Options
    No problems :thumb:
  • Options
    it does depend on the antibiotic and on the individual, but it's a lot easier to use condoms for a week or two unecessarily than to risk it and end up with a baby.

i've got a nephew conceived when his mum was on the pill and didn't realise her antibiotics would make it useless. can't be too careful.
  • Options
    Yeah it is better to be on the safe side, but to be honest the doctor should have told you if there was a problem.
  • Options
    red_jelly wrote:
    Does taking anti-biotics effect the pill? Does it stop it working properly
    what if you're on the few days after you stop taking the pill and before your period? Is there any risk of getting pregnant then?

The reason I ask is because i'm (well, my g/f) is in this situation and I thought we better check before we do anything un-protected.

Thanks!

Google the words Liz Hurley Antibiotics

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=liz+hurley+antibiotics
  • Options
    yes the antibiotics do affect the pill. if your going to have sex while shes taking the antibiotics use a condom.