Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is Islam compatible with "The West"?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Article

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    As with any religion, how compatible it is depends on the people practising it. Some are intolerant and fearful of change, as shown so well in East is East, and some view everything with a critical eye.

It's no more or less compatible than any other religion.
  • Options
    Article

Thoughts?

I think the article is a shining example of the inequalities the lady sites in her column.
  • Options
    I don't think Islam as a religion is incompatible with the West, but the culture that people bring when they move to the country is incompatible. If a Westerner goes to a Muslim country they should abide by the traditions and culture, as for Muslims moving here they should live within our own culture and to our own rules.

When in Rome....
  • Options
    I don't think Islam as a religion is incompatible with the West, but the culture that people bring when they move to the country is incompatible. If a Westerner goes to a Muslim country they should abide by the traditions and culture, as for Muslims moving here they should live within our own culture and to our own rules.

When in Rome....

What is "our culture"?
  • Options
    What is "our culture"?

When in Rome...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    As with any religion, how compatible it is depends on the people practising it.
    Spot on.

It all depends on interpretation and tolerance. From a strict point of view even Christianity is incompatible with today's Western societies, given that pre-marital sex, same-sex relations, cohabitation and many other things are commonplace across Western societies. But perhaps the difference is that the majority of Christians, both clergy and the faithful, have come to realise that they have to adapt and tolerate to today's society.

I think a proportionally bigger number of Muslims are still adhering to a more strict moral code and are not as flexible (or resigned) as members of other religions in the West are towards society at large.

Then again I've met several Muslims who not only don't have any problem with Western society but happily drink alcohol and sleep around themselves. As said earlier, it's all about the practitioner not the religion.

Oh look, 10,000 posts. :D Jim! Do I get an ipod or something???
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

You get retired ... ;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    he made me bend over his desk ...twice now!
  • Options
    he made me bend over his desk ...twice now!

Yay! I got something to look forward to then!!!! :hyper:

Jim - do you supply the lube? :p
  • Options
    THe argument of compatibility relies on false generalisations and ideas of 'culture' that are largely flawed.

As has been pointed out it is down to individuals really.

There is no such thing as Eastern or Western culture, this is a myth and a dangerous one......
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Dunno. I became a pariah because of Sept the 11th, what do I know?

How do you mean?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    There is no such thing as Eastern or Western culture, this is a myth and a dangerous one......
    I think you're wrong actually - there are marked cultural differences between different parts of the world. It is our reaction to these differences that matters.

Religion is often intertwined with culture, which is why this is even an issue. Islam, Christianity, even atheism are practiced in different ways across the globe. The fundamental beliefs may be the same, but what effect those beliefs have on behaviour is purely cultural.

A lot of the Islamist terrorism is actually more of a pride problem than a religion one.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Dunno. I became a pariah because of Sept the 11th, what do I know?
    eh?
  • Options
    It is, its weither the followers chose to make it compatible. Most people who move to another country tend to become like the people in it and adapt. But some choose try and go against the flow, im not saying theres anything wrong with that, but ofcourse it doesnt make things very "compatible".
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    Isome choose try and go against the flow, im not saying theres anything wrong with that, but ofcourse it doesnt make things very "compatible".

Quite.

That's why the Spanish on the coast hate the English.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I think you're wrong actually - there are marked cultural differences between different parts of the world. It is our reaction to these differences that matters.

Religion is often intertwined with culture, which is why this is even an issue. Islam, Christianity, even atheism are practiced in different ways across the globe. The fundamental beliefs may be the same, but what effect those beliefs have on behaviour is purely cultural.

A lot of the Islamist terrorism is actually more of a pride problem than a religion one.

I probably wasn't clear.

Yes there are clear differences between East and West but is wrong to think that there is a unified culture anywhere.

For example if you sat down a Tory and a fairly hardline Muslim, two people you might superficially expect to be quite hostile to eachother I think you would find that they would agree on many issues, quite probably more than that same Muslim and a Lib Dem voter for example.......

That is why making stark contrasts is ridiculous.

There are no universal values that 'Weserners' hold. It is often pointed out that Muslim values go against western liberal values but I would say that these 'liberal' values of tolerance etc are not actually that common, they might be more common that in a Muslim country but they are not common enough to be inately part of 'Western' culture.......