Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bleeding Gums

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello.

For the past few weeks when cleaning my teeth my gums and the gaps in between my teeth have been bleeding and I'm not sure why. I was just cleaning my teeth and useing mouthwash as normal and havnt had any problems before. I tried switching to a softer brush but there is still a lot of bleeding when I clean my teeth, when i spit its toothpaste mixed with blood! I think theres some effort to sort of scab at the tops of my front teeth but of course when i brush i need to brush over the these and they beled again.

I have an appointment at my dentist booked but it isnt for a couple of weeks until he gets back from a holiday or something....and I need it checked out soon cos im back off to uni this month.

So does anyone know what i can do in order to try and stop the bleeding please?

Comments

• Options
    dont brush as hard? i get it sometimes...apart from getting a soft toothbrush and brushing gently, ask you dentist i suppose?
  • Options
    I think that's a vitamin deficiency. I'm pretty sure...either C or D but I think it's C.
  • Options
    You may have a gum infection .. and this can be caused by not flossing your teeth. Food particles get trapped in your teeth and then essentially start to rot .. thus causing infection to the gums. Floss daily and use a mouthwash afterwards.
  • Options
  • Options
    spanner wrote:

And I can't get an appointment for a week at least. :nervous:

Edit....make that the 21st. :(
  • Options
    don't worry, my gums bleed almost every time i brush, to a greater or lesser extent, and have been for years, and i'm still alive :p

it can often be to do with gingivitis too, which is just inflamed gums, and is easily treated with a revolting tasting but highly effective mouthwash.
  • Options
    Sometimes it just seems to bleed for no reason, well not no reason but sometimes theres bleeding when i smile too. :chin:
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Sometimes it just seems to bleed for no reason, well not no reason but sometimes theres bleeding when i smile too. :chin:

I have a friend whose diet was entirely responsible for her bleeding gums.

As soon as she started eating less sugar and more fresh fruit and veg it cleared up very quickly.
  • Options
    I have a friend whose diet was entirely responsible for her bleeding gums.

As soon as she started eating less sugar and more fresh fruit and veg it cleared up very quickly.

:chin:

Sounds like you could be on to something. I have been snacking more since being back from Uni because a) its freely available and b) Im bored. :(
  • Options
    Turns out I was borderlining on gengivitus at the front. Just spent 20 minutes in teh dentist chair and it was horrible.

More of the same on friday too. :(
  • Options
    my mums a dental nurse so she's quite handy with this stuff....least your getting it sorted, gengivitis can be soooo nasty....
  • Options
    I am having same happen. I went for my first scrape and polish about 3 month back and the nurse lady told me I was getting bleeding gums then. Now I will admit I haven;t followed her advice-she recommended getting back onto a electric toothbrush and flossing daily. Now I have yet to get my electric toothbrush as am using my last cheapo boots one (i know my bad)

It is getting worse though so I know I should start doing what she says. My gums have always be prone but it has gotten far worse inthe past month. Gonna try to treat myself first, then go back to dentist if no luck.

I do eat crap so I think maybe some better snacking will help-I'll follow this thread if you update!! Thanks!
  • Options
    Jowolvo wrote:
    she recommended getting back onto a electric toothbrush and flossing daily. Now I have yet to get my electric toothbrush as am using my last cheapo boots one (i know my bad)

It is getting worse though so I know I should start doing what she says.

yeah, my gums got so much better when i switched to a leccy toothbrush. they do still bleed, but not to the point where it looks as if i have killed people in my sink. :sour:
  • Options
    I think that's a vitamin deficiency. I'm pretty sure...either C or D but I think it's C.
    You're thinking of scurvy - vitamin C deficiency.

The Americans call us Limeys because our sailors used to carry limes aboard to avoid getting scurvy on long voyages.
  • Options
    Wash your mouth out with plain water after every meal...this reduces bacteria.

Don't overfloss, but floss once a day before bedtime. also make sure teh width of teh flossing thread suits your teeth spacing...two types now ...people with wide gaps/people with narrow gap/nogapsbetweenteeth/overlapping.

Take a vitamin supplement known to strengthen tooth and bone e.g calcium or calcium and zinc combination. Try calcia, excelent and has helped me. Gum disease loosens the tooth bed over time so the key is strengthening those knashers in the first place and never go to bed/get up without brushing!

Good luck.
  • Options
    Just off to the dentist again now. :nervous:
  • Options
    Your gums may bleed a little if you're brushing properly - especially if there's something caught that you remove etc.

However, if they are bleeding a lot, and are red and inflammed, you may have gum disease, in which case the dentist will most likely bollock you (if they're horrible) and/or prescribe Corsodyl (sp?) mouthwash - I believe it's only available on prescription, but is very effective.

If you end up as bad as I was (but it sounds like you aren't - but just for the benefit of others who may be reading and wondering!), your dentist will prescribe antibiotics (usually Metronidazole) for up to 7 days. I've just completed my course of it, and it worked brilliantly (despite being unable to drink any alcohol!). Given the fact I've had several years of orthodontic treatment, I'm really glad that everything's back to a healthy state - it would have been such a waste of all that hard work in the past otherwise!
  • Options
    my dentist prescribed cordysol mouthwash too - u can get it without a prescription but its better value to get it on prescription. it was sooo manky tasting i had to stop using it though, nothing would get rid of the taste at all. i also use listerine and an electric toothbrush which has helped, you also have to brush your gums softly too, as well as your teeth. i should get some dental floss too.

has anyone tried those electric flossers, those oral b hummingbird things??
  • Options
    Yeah I'm on that mouthwash too.

My gums are looking much better it seems which is nice.

The tablets are starting to make me feel ill though :(
  • Options
    Hey i was just on a course of the met pills for somethinge lse and I have noticed less blood-lol two things sorted for the price of one hey!

I got a funky whizzing electric toothbrush today.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:

So does anyone know what i can do in order to try and stop the bleeding please?

Post a photo of your toothbrush on the site - you can tell a heck of a lot about a person's brushing habits from the state of their toothbrush