Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hurricane Katrina and US contribution to global warming

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think that Bush's refusal to address the global warming issue by continuing to allow the US to pour out greenhouse gasses has resulted in them getting a taste of consequences of their stupidity. It's not something that will just affect some third world country thousands of miles away. It has now affected 'home'.

This was no normal hurricane by any level .... Bush should be under huge pressure now to look at the global warming issue again. But why have none of the media on both sides of the Atlantic not picked this up (as far as I can see)? What are your opinions?

Comments

• Options
    Actually, my brother and I were talking about this.

He said, that the american people were generally unbothered about warnings of extreme weather, because they already have it. In nevada they live in air con houses and drive air-con cars and you can't go outside during the day. The story is similar in many other regions of the states. And I thought in the aftermath of the hurricane, is this extreme enough for you to do something now?
  • Options
    It wasn't a freak by any stretch of the imagination, it was briefly a 5 then a 4, this is far from unheard of. They are rare but to draw a straight line from pollution and this storm is just rubbish.
  • Options
    You have kind of assumed that Bush gives a shit about his fellow "americans".

He sooooOoooo obviously doesn't give a rat's ass about anyone but him and his fundie mates (all millionaires and well able to buy their way out of any changes) that it's laughable.
    In nevada they live in air con houses and drive air-con cars and you can't go outside during the day.

They might change their tune when the fuel dries up and the power stops but of course that would be too late.
  • Options
    yes, it would be too late.

What american's fail to realise (in the speculation of this conversation with my older brother who, incidentally, lives in DC so has some insight) is that we have quite nice weather over here. It's not stupidly hot, or cold, and that the climate change with have a massive effect on our lives, even if it doesn't on theirs.
  • Options
    It's a talent. Comes with being a woman, as I understand things.
  • Options
    I read or heard somewhere that they haven't proven that this increase in hurricanes is because of global warming but infact the Earth has a 'cycle' of increased extreme weather patterns that then go quiet for a while.

Let me go see if I can find it.
  • Options
    I have read the same thing, and while that may be true. I see no real reason to exacerbate things with laziness and self-centred behaviour.