Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

G8 marches ...conned again?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sadly I can't ever see trade as being made completely fair. The reason why some countries are rich and others are poor is because of exploitation.

It's sad really because you always will get charities who get together and who genuinely want to help and these stars who dance on the self-righteous band wagon.
  • Options
    Sadly I can't ever see trade as being made completely fair. The reason why some countries are rich and others are poor is because of exploitation.

It's sad really because you always will get charities who get together and who genuinely want to help and these stars who dance on the self-righteous band wagon.
    what do you think of the story?
  • Options
    That despite the way the public felt, at the end of the day people are too greedy to make changes, the fat cats who rule the world on the backs of the poor.

Whatever people's intentions are at the end of the day, unless everybody comes together and works constantly at something or other then the fat cats will nearly always win.
  • Options
    That despite the way the public felt, at the end of the day people are too greedy to make changes, the fat cats who rule the world on the backs of the poor.

Whatever people's intentions are at the end of the day, unless everybody comes together and works constantly at something or other then the fat cats will nearly always win.
    so why does saint bob openly support and praise the bastards ...then dissapeatr and keep gob shut?
  • Options
    so why does saint bob openly support and praise the bastards ...then dissapeatr and keep gob shut?
    Because he didn't get what he wanted from them. He praised before he got results.
  • Options
    Because he didn't get what he wanted from them. He praised before he got results.
    so he's a bigger idiot than i thought?
  • Options
    so he's a bigger idiot than i thought?
    Maybe...

What's your point?
  • Options
    Maybe...

What's your point?
    my ppoint being ...all this was pointed out ...a pop star in all his glorious rags wasn't going to make diddly shit of a difference.
    no matter how many media conned young people swam the chanel or walked to john o groats.
    it was allmedia pop party lets have a good time while a million children die linda bollox.
    looks like ...a lot of sincere people were conned again by the establishment ...sir being a big part of that establishment.

i have to go to my bed ...i'm full of drink and drugs and can no longer stay upright.whuch was the aim ...i haven't slept propper for ages ...
  • Options
    my ppoint being ...all this was pointed out ...a pop star in all his glorious rags wasn't going to make diddly shit of a difference.
    no matter how many media conned young people swam the chanel or walked to john o groats.
    it was allmedia pop party lets have a good time while a million children die linda bollox.
    looks like ...a lot of sincere people were conned again by the establishment ...sir being a big part of that establishment.

i have to go to my bed ...i'm full of drink and drugs and can no longer stay upright.whuch was the aim ...i haven't slept propper for ages ...
    The world runs on exploitation... It's just a shame that we as the people are too lazy, ignorant or frightened to get off out arses and retaliate. The sad thing about the G8 was that the march at least was full of human rights organisations who genuinely knew the facts and worked every day to help people out. At the march they'd give out leaflets, so people who went to march probably learnt a lot more than people who sit at home doing nothing.

It's wierd how the media floats from one thing to another.
  • Options
    Surely trying to do something is better than doing nothing though.

The campaign is still going by the way, i regulary get emails telling me how I can help and I do things that are asked.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Surely trying to do something is better than doing nothing though.

but he didn't do anything apart from telling people to swim the chanel and walk to scotland ...oh yes and praise political figures who also did nothing.
  • Options
    What's your point?

I don't think he has one.

He's just ranting about how Geldof didn't save the world.

It's quite tiresome really.

I wonder when freethepeeps will grace us with his intellectual presence?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I wonder when freethepeeps will grace us with his intellectual presence?

:lol:

One word too many there I fear.

Surely you mean "will grace us with his presence".
  • Options
    Maybe...

What's your point?

The point is that some people feel cheated. But then if you have high expectations then you are more likely to be disappointed by reality.

If anyone expected the G8 marches/Live 8 concert to change the world over night then they are fools. It was always going to need long term actions.
  • Options
    If anyone expected the G8 marches/Live 8 concert to change the world over night then they are fools. .
    i for one didn't expect iit to change anything at all ...ever.

i do want saint bob to appear in public aND SPEAK UP FOR HIMSELF ...EXPLAIN THINGS.

DOES HE STILL SUPPORT BLAIR AND BROWN?
    did he know the whole thing was a sham?

he is a media mogul who can get airtime anytime ...so why isn't he condeming what realy happened ...or didn't as the case may be?

does he feel foolish ...used? how used?
    does he owe the public an apology or an explanation?
    an explanation would be fine.
  • Options
    The point is that some people feel cheated. But then if you have high expectations then you are more likely to be disappointed by reality.

If anyone expected the G8 marches/Live 8 concert to change the world over night then they are fools. It was always going to need long term actions.
    But going out and marching shows Blair and other world leaders that some us us give a damn, obviously nobody expects to change the world through one march, that's unrealistic. Yet at the same time it did raise awareness to people about Africa and about charities involved, it was all done in good intentions.
  • Options
    But going out and marching shows Blair and other world leaders that some us us give a damn, obviously nobody expects to change the world through one march, that's unrealistic. Yet at the same time it did raise awareness to people about Africa and about charities involved, it was all done in good intentions.

Spot on, that's my take on it.

Sadly some people around here wouldn't have been satisfied unless it brought about world-wide shift from capitalism, although Mr Roll isn't one of them.
  • Options
    I may point out that George Monbiot only offers one (highly biased) view of the situation and his comment may not reflect the truth in full........

The fact that he goes on about Geldof rather than the issues whilst highlighting Africans who complain about the same thing show him to be a hypocrite...........
  • Options
    Spot on, that's my take on it.

Sadly some people around here wouldn't have been satisfied unless it brought about world-wide shift from capitalism, although Mr Roll isn't one of them.

But a shift from capitalism was not the aim....

One of the refreshing things about this campaign is that it was not hijacked compaltletely by politics and actually advocated a shift towards capitalism, i.e. freer trade.........
  • Options
    That's how it was neutralised. The majority of protestors obviously didn't understand much and Geldof didn't help much either
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    But a shift from capitalism was not the aim....

One of the refreshing things about this campaign is that it was not hijacked compaltletely by politics and actually advocated a shift towards capitalism, i.e. freer trade.........

and that isn't political...how exactly?
  • Options
    I know this has been gone a few days but.

This seems relevent.