Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

no sex please, i'm a teenager

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
did anyone watch this?

do you think that their sample really reflects english teenagers?

do you think the american abstinance program should be brought over here or is it immoral brainwashing?

Comments

• Options
    I didn't see it, but have heard about it. I personally have never understood what's apparently so hard about not having sex.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I didn't see it, but have heard about it. I personally have never understood what's apparently so hard about not having sex.

Indeed, i dont have any trouble not having sex... :crying:

Anyway, um i dont think an abstinance program would work. Tell kids not to do something and they'll want to do it.
  • Options
    i agree that it isnt hard if that's what you want, but i don't think that kids should be made to feel that they are wrong to have sex if they feel like they want to
  • Options
    Ooo, I watched that. It was interesting. I think I was disappointed because it didn't really seem to have any middle ground. I'm not a virgin and have no intention of waiting until I'm married, but I am also not someone who sleeps with a lot of people in casual relationships. The program didn't seem to have any teenagers like I was, who ended up in long term serious relationships, in which protection was always used and in which we really truly cared about and trusted each other.
  • Options
    Kate1 wrote:
    Ooo, I watched that. It was interesting. I think I was disappointed because it didn't really seem to have any middle ground. I'm not a virgin and have no intention of waiting until I'm married, but I am also not someone who sleeps with a lot of people in casual relationships. The program didn't seem to have any teenagers like I was, who ended up in long term serious relationships, in which protection was always used and in which we really truly cared about and trusted each other.

this is also a problem i had with the program. i was just talking to my brother about it, and about how the young people used for the program were not anything like most of the people i knew at that age (and that's only a couple of years ago), or any of his mates (he is that age). i lost my virginity at 15, yeah, but i was in a long term relationship, and i felt it was right.. i don't regret it
  • Options
    i didnt watch the programe, but are you suprised by the sample of teenagers they selected? People arent interesting about the long term relationships, they want to watch something that is going to shock them, and have an impact, other wise no-one would watch it.
  • Options
    I think the media, magazines, society etc encourages us teenagers to have sex at younger ages and more than we would if that encouragement wasnt there.
  • Options
    do you think the american abstinance program should be brought over here or is it immoral brainwashing?

The abstinance program over here is god awfull, it is chalk full of falsities and (as much as I hate to use a Bushism) fuzzy numbers. The program essentialy is aimed at scaring youths into not having sex, and we all know that scared straight doesn't work.
  • Options
    ofcourse it doesn work.. all the stuff encouraging you not to far far outweights the stuff encouraging you to
  • Options
    Tbh people were giving others hassle in my old school for being virgins at 14.
  • Options
    i remember at skool these girls talking about something in a magazine, some girl had written in complaing about how she found being fingered painful and didnt really doing, probably because she was 11 years old.
  • Options
    encouraging teenagers to make the right decisions is the key

if some is wondering if they should theyre not ready, whilst theres people in serious relationships who want to have sex

encouraging them to make their own decision and not feel pressured into what others say is the key tbh
  • Options
    I didn't see the programme, I forgot it was on.

In media reporting there is never a middle ground- fences don't sell copy.

Kids need to be shown that they don't need to be having sex to be valid people. Any effort to do this is only a good thing. Sex is used so often as a way of manipulating people, and teenagers are especially suseptible to peer pressure. Just about any advert aimed at teenagers implies that if you don't use spot cream A or perfume B then you won't pull the fit bird/lad, and you'll die alone being found three weeks later half-eaten by an Alsatian.

The problem with the "abstinence" campaigns is that they don't focus on the positives- they say having sex makes you a bad person, not that waiting is a valid choice. The ones that recognise that sex before marriage isn't always wrong, but that waiting for someone special is inherently preferable, have far more success than any religious-based campaign.

The problem is that we have allowed the idea of choosing a sexual partner carefully, and that virginity is not something to be ashamed of, to be hijacked by the religious right.

Instead of empowering people, especially young women, to believe that having sex is not the sole barometer of use and validity as a human being, we have allowed the religious right to use guilt to force their agenda.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The problem is that we have allowed the idea of choosing a sexual partner carefully, and that virginity is not something to be ashamed of, to be hijacked by the religious right.

Instead of empowering people, especially young women, to believe that having sex is not the sole barometer of use and validity as a human being, we have allowed the religious right to use guilt to force their agenda.

My thoughts exactly. :yes:
  • Options
    I found the show absolutely odious.

It was one of the poorest excuses for Christian mind washing I’ve seen in a long while. Two “Hip / cool” Christians (the guy even had several eyebrow lines to prove he was “extra home with the downies”) and just to make sure that moral barrage was coming from all directions, a carefully selected abstaining Christian lad had been put in and amongst the rutting masses.

While I appreciate the value of educating kids about the benefits of waiting until they feel entirely comfortable within themselves to have sex that really wasn’t the sole or even main objective of the show.
  • Options
    While I appreciate the value of educating kids about the benefits of waiting until they feel entirely comfortable within themselves to have sex that really wasn’t the sole or even main objective of the show.

Of course it wasn't, the objective was to get people to watch it and talk about it.

People always forget that the media exists solely to sell copy.
  • Options
    Kate1 wrote:
    I'm not a virgin and have no intention of waiting until I'm married

The latter being a relief, considering the former ;)
    The program didn't seem to have any teenagers like I was, who ended up in long term serious relationships, in which protection was always used and in which we really truly cared about and trusted each other.

Because people like you aren't newsworthy, you show that teenagers can be responsible and that just isn't interesting to them.

I was much the same, hell I even married her. 13 years later and we're still married. Funny how no-one deems that worthy of a TV programme...
  • Options
    The latter being a relief, considering the former ;)

Hehe, I thought that as I wrote it :)

I guess I kind of meant that some people become born again virgins and even though they've already had sex, then choose to wait until they're married. Like they are trying to get the teenagers on the programme to do... that silver ring pledge which I'm imagining will be the focus of the next programme.
  • Options
    I for one shalln't be watching it again.

I think when they joined that happy-clappy-fúcky-nutty group and started singing songs and being told to "hug people who you think need a hug and feel loved" pretty much sealed it for me.
  • Options
    Expecting the BBC to come up with some sensible and reasoned political and social discourse is even more pointless than waiting for a politician to tell the truth.
  • Options
    I think the whole thing is deplorable. There is nothing wrong with not having sex. However there are a lot of things wrong with not having sex for the wrong reasons: namely religious brainwashing, puritanism and assorted bullshit.

How sad and pitiful to see those American teenagers wearing stupid silver rings, talking of "saving themselves" for matrimony because God doesn't approve of pre-marital sex... or even believe that sex out of wedlock is somehow "wrong".

Apparently God doesn't mind the odd blowjob though (not to mention countless handjobs and even the odd 'up the wrong 'un' action), seeing as many of these kids engage in them. It is despicable and rather unhealthy that these people attempt to force themselves not to have sex- even though they are clearly gagging for it- because someone has brainwashed them into believing that God actually would give a toss whether people have sex or not.

Incidentally, I don't have the link in hand (I'll try to find it though) but I read a while ago that nearly two thirds of those who commit not to have sex before marriage break their vows.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Expecting the BBC to come up with some sensible and reasoned political and social discourse is even more pointless than waiting for a politician to tell the truth.

Like you commented earlier, reasoned discussion and discourse doesn't pull in the viewers. A handful of teenage delinquents ignorant enough not to see the sinister motives attached to what they were doing, does. I’m continuously amazed to see the kind of programs that are passed as suitable for viewing.