Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Selective compassion at the right times?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So all we have heard about is Katrina and the BBC tells us to feel sad for all the people... Whole news reports telling us about all that's going on, huge sections of programs that are giving us updates... Yes this was a natural disaster, as was the Tsunami, it was Mother Nature knocking the shit in to human kind and soon enough we'll have celebrities jumping on the band wagon to help as usual... That or we'll be told to feel sad.

I'm not saying that what is going on hasn't angered me, or many people but the BBC have reported so much on the hurricane, yet thousands of children die every day from curable diseases. The other day hundreds of Iraqi pilgrims were killed in a stampede and people seem to have barely batted an eyelid...

What I mean to say is that why are we encouraged to feel sympathy for some people and not for others? We seem to be led to believe that by wearing a Livestrong band we're changing the world when regular work for a charity, even an hour a week would do a lot more good. People gave money to the Tsunami appeal because we were shown how horrible it all was... Yet if we're so compassionate then why don't we donate all the time?

What I mean to say is that often i feel like we seem to have a social obligation to feel sadness, or anger towards the pain of other people who we don't know... Or that sometimes we go through fads of giving a damn and paying the odd quid towards something because everybody else is.

Is this caring real? Or superficial?

Comments

• Options
    So all we have heard about is Katrina and the BBC tells us to feel sad for all the people... Whole news reports telling us about all that's going on, huge sections of programs that are giving us updates... Yes this was a natural disaster, as was the Tsunami, it was Mother Nature knocking the shit in to human kind and soon enough we'll have celebrities jumping on the band wagon to help as usual... That or we'll be told to feel sad.

I'm not saying that what is going on hasn't angered me, or many people but the BBC have reported so much on the hurricane, yet thousands of children die every day from curable diseases. The other day hundreds of Iraqi pilgrims were killed in a stampede and people seem to have barely batted an eyelid...

What I mean to say is that why are we encouraged to feel sympathy for some people and not for others? We seem to be led to believe that by wearing a Livestrong band we're changing the world when regular work for a charity, even an hour a week would do a lot more good. People gave money to the Tsunami appeal because we were shown how horrible it all was... Yet if we're so compassionate then why don't we donate all the time?

What I mean to say is that often i feel like we seem to have a social obligation to feel sadness, or anger towards the pain of other people who we don't know... Or that sometimes we go through fads of giving a damn and paying the odd quid towards something because everybody else is.

in the past ...before information overload ...before instant comunication ...most people would give something toward something or someone they came across ...where there is suffering there is usualy compassion.

suffering today is on a huge scale ...millions living in small spaces so when something does go tits up ...millions suffer.

there was coverage of the loss of life in iraq ...but lets face it ...an entire city more or less being wiped out is BIG ...MUCH BIGGER NEWS and so it should be.

when disaster strikes these days it strikes big ...simple.

are you suggesting that a thousand dead should dwarf ten thousand dead and a million or more made homelessamnd posessionless overnight ...and in the richest country in the world?

news is business ...big bizz.

are you maybe suffering from disaster overload?

people asking for your help ...is manipulation ...it's part of the human condition.
  • Options
    my caring is real ...you seem to be having trouble with yours though.
  • Options
    my caring is real ...you seem to be having trouble with yours though.
    I am not questioning whether you care, or implying that I do or don't. What I'm saying is that the media selects things for us to care about and we go along with it like anything.

How many people grieved for princess Diana? How can you really cry over somebody who you didn't know personally?

If we really all cared about the world we'd be researching on the net charities that appeal to things personal to us or that we believe in and giving consistant help. It wouldn't surprise me if a charity is set up for the New Orleans people, but how long before we forget about this disaster and decide to focus our attention on something else?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It is odd. The Media has a great affect on directing our emotions. Too much in my opinion, this story will soon be replaced by something else and we will just forget it and worry about that.

I really care. Thing is... what can I do about it?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It is odd. The Media has a great affect on directing our emotions. Too much in my opinion, this story will soon be replaced by something else and we will just forget it and worry about that.

I really care. Thing is... what can I do about it?
    Buy an arm band, I'm sure they'll figure out a colour for the New Orleans disaster fund. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    If we really all cared about the world we'd be researching on the net charities that appeal to things personal to us or that we believe in and giving consistant help. It wouldn't surprise me if a charity is set up for the New Orleans people, but how long before we forget about this disaster and decide to focus our attention on something else?
    i have said similar things about africa and geldof ...got a right slagging off ...but some of us do make ourselves aware of whats going on and what is needed where.
    i have just invested a big lump of dosh into a biz ...bit of a gamble but reaping rewards already but ...i'm all for a high tax economy as a way of sharing some of the wealth of this nation ...one of the richest on earth ...which puts me at odds with others in biz.

i also DO ...for others on a regular and organised basis.

we live in a world of endless information yet so many people seem locked in bubbles of self ...leading to much of the depression thats about as far as i'm concerned.
  • Options
    YAY for slave labour promoting armbands!

I want one that says "Chinese Slavery Fund".
  • Options
    By the way... before people think I'm up my own arse I've been as much myself affected by the media as anybody else, I'm just analysing things a bit and trying to get a debate going. Do we as people genuinely care and want to help the people of <insert current disaster here> by buying products and giving the odd quid here and there?

No doubt there are a lot of very genuine people out there who do do a lot for charity, but why do we cry over the deaths of people who we don't know? Or give money to charities to help people who we've never seen? Just because of a few pictures on the television?

Is it because of guilt? Is it out of genuine want to help people? Or is the media programming us to be selective in who we care for?
  • Options
    is the media programming us to be selective in who we care for?

the media is controlling what an awful lot of people believe ...what we need and want before we know we need and want it ...what we should feel and what we should look like ...it is worth avoiding most of it if you don't understand this.
  • Options
    the media is very good at playing on human emotions to whatever end........of course we should care about the homeless in new orleans, but in my mind it's not even comparable to the daily suffering of millions around the world, to which the media is largely indifferent.........perhaps because those powers with vested interests in the media are the same indirectly responsible for the suffering, who knows.......you have to be aware of how things around you influence your way of thinking, radio, tv, etc........that's why i think the whole live8 feel good thing is a bit of a farce, (even if the man himself is trying to raise awareness, which is a good thing) because like moonrat says, the next week everyone goes back to their normal lives and doesn't really give it a second thought, so what has been achieved......
  • Options

No doubt there are a lot of very genuine people out there who do do a lot for charity, but why do we cry over the deaths of people who we don't know? Or give money to charities to help people who we've never seen? Just because of a few pictures on the television?

Is it because of guilt? Is it out of genuine want to help people? Or is the media programming us to be selective in who we care for?

People who cry over people they don't know are a minority...and a pretty silly minority at that imho.

Giving to charity is a fairly normal human reaction to tragedy and suffering...I don't consider the media to be conditioning us to be charitable...although obviously their coverage of events does play a part in to whom that charity is channelled.
  • Options
    The G8 thing was sad really because amongst people jumping on the band wagon, there were many of people who went there to raise awareness of many issues... Environmental, political, social and so on. There were people from all sorts of charaities, organisations, unions and so on as well as students and people who want to get involved in politics.

But then there were people who were moved by what they saw on television or who went along to be a part of history...
  • Options
    The G8 thing was sad really because amongst people jumping on the band wagon, there were many of people who went there to raise awareness of many issues... Environmental, political, social and so on. There were people from all sorts of charaities, organisations, unions and so on as well as students and people who want to get involved in politics.

But then there were people who were moved by what they saw on television or who went along to be a part of history...
    and then most of them forgot all about it and did ...sod all.
  • Options
    Yup... A week or so later the media stopped reporting on Africa all together and found something else to make us all cry about.
  • Options

The whole idea was to get as many people on the bandwagon as possible...otherwise you'd only be attracting a small group of politicos.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    The whole idea was to get as many people on the bandwagon as possible...otherwise you'd only be attracting a small group of politicos.
    which on the whole helped achieve very little.

big show ...shows over.

yes of course there are a handfull here and thr who have been motivated but ...bandwagons rarely achieve much ...if anything of substance.

lets face it ...all of us ...are in a way blinded and brainwashed by our comfort.
  • Options
    which on the whole helped achieve very little.

big show ...shows over.

yes of course there are a handfull here and thr who have been motivated but ...bandwagons rarely achieve much ...if anything of substance.

lets face it ...all of us ...are in a way blinded and brainwashed by our comfort.

It gave people's conscience a bit of relief, perhaps. But you're right, it achieved next to nothing.

'bout time we started talkin' Revolution.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    It gave people's conscience a bit of relief, perhaps. But you're right, it achieved next to nothing.

:yes:

Or if we want an altruistic society, start instilling it in to our children from youth.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    been there done that and guess what ...yet again our own comfort stopped us achieving buggar all.

i find it scary that only one tenth of the worlds population lives in this dream we want to tear down ...
  • Options
    :yes:

Or if we want an altruistic society, start instilling it in to our children from youth.

To be honest, I'm a firm believer that everyone without exception is utterly selfish - regardless of how selfless their acts are. People who do good only do so because it makes them feel good in return.

I don't think selfishness is the real problem anyway. It's our society.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    To be honest, I'm a firm believer that everyone without exception is utterly selfish - regardless of how selfless their acts are. People who do good only do so because it makes them feel good in return.

In psychology we studied altruism and couldn't find one theory to support the existance of it (that I recall).
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:

our society encourages selfishness.

we can own! we can be famous! we can be powerful! we can achieve anything! but ...we must consume consume and consume some more ...it's all of course a load of bollox ...except the last bit.

for a long time a mans worth has been measurd by what he has ...a man who has little ...desires little ...is seen as unfit for office.
    the result ...idiots and lawyers ...killers and thieves ...are those who rule.

if you have plenty ...you can have it all.
    the only qualification to rule is ...you already own lots.
    so the seats of power fill up with idiots instead of the wise.
  • Options
    Problems like AIDS and Hunger are long term problems that need long term solutions, therefore they don't need constant coverage, thats why now and again you'll get reports of some famine in some country in Africa.

Tsunamis and hurricanes are different, they get all the coverage and all the short term support needed.

Though I will agree that the media focuses on some things more than others, I'm not saying one was worse than the other, but when the Beslan atrocity happened, it was off the news in less than a week, hundreds of children dead, 9/11 was in the news for months.
  • Options
    our society encourages selfishness.

we can own! we can be famous! we can be powerful! we can achieve anything! but ...we must consume consume and consume some more ...it's all of course a load of bollox ...except the last bit.

for a long time a mans worth has been measurd by what he has ...a man who has little ...desires little ...is seen as unfit for office.
    the result ...idiots and lawyers ...killers and thieves ...are those who rule.

if you have plenty ...you can have it all.
    the only qualification to rule is ...you already own lots.
    so the seats of power fill up with idiots instead of the wise.

I'd rather be a poor wise man tbh. At least I have a bit of sense about me unlike most people these days.
  • Options
    I beleive man has always lived how he is told to live. It seems to be so, and, only the small minority oppose this unless their is a REAL problem. Then you get overthrowal, revolution, civil war and the likes.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I beleive man has always lived how he is told to live. It seems to be so, and, only the small minority oppose this unless their is a REAL problem. Then you get overthrowal, revolution, civil war and the likes.

Not really, I can still live how I want to live, I'm just bound by some laws.
  • Options
    Yup... A week or so later the media stopped reporting on Africa all together and found something else to make us all cry about.

There is a very good reason for that, Africa is not news, desperate poverty isnt what the public wants to look at day after day.

'Yet more people die in poverty in Africa' does not make a snappy headline.

Natural disasters on the other hand have action, excitement, danger and this one had guns thrown in. News is about entertainment a lot of the time. People dying because of poverty is not entertaining.
  • Options
    In psychology we studied altruism and couldn't find one theory to support the existance of it (that I recall).

No doubt evolutionary psychology bollocks. Take a look around you, you see altruism every day.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No doubt evolutionary psychology bollocks. Take a look around you, you see altruism every day.

I'm always helping women with push chairs on the Tube, its a little thing but it makes me feel good. There is an evolutionary reason to help others, we are pack animals, if we help our family and pack we are better off ourselves.
  • Options
    I'm always helping women with push chairs on the Tube, its a little thing but it makes me feel good. There is an evolutionary reason to help others, we are pack animals, if we help our family and pack we are better off ourselves.

The whole selfish/selfless reasoning is bollocks because you can make the case just as strongly the other way because it requires no evidence.

It's classic backwards thinking.

You could equally say everything is altruistic and make up bullshit reasons why you are right.

Like - "he murdered their families and took all their stuff"

"Well from an evolutionary perspective, his actions where selfless, because he reduced the number of idiots in the gene pool", or "he was motivated to get things for his own people and family, in a totally selfless way"

See, bollocks.