Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

tablets and drinking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ive been prescribed a 10 day course of tablets for nausea (not antibioitics) and im going out on sat for my 19th bday! Only prob is, the box says "avoid alcohlic drinks" What im wondering is, if i dont take them on sat (ive gotta take 1, 3 times a day with meals) will they effect them. They didnt come with a leaflet, so i cant look, but i am googling the name of the medication!
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Ive taken quite a few antibiotics over my time and when it came to drinking on weekends i just either didnt bother taking them, just give it a break. or took them and carried on drinking, used to effect me really crazily, its not advisable, but was kinda fun. but dont do it!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I probably wouldn't take the chance. I'm sure that orange juice for that night wouldn't hurt.

I know it is your birthday and I can sympathise (I was on antibiotics over my 21st) so why not celebrate it after the 10 day course has finished?
  • Options
    If you've been prescribed a course of tablets then braking that course may affect how effective the tablets are. Also, if you only stop taking them for a day before drinking they could still be in your system so alcohol may still react badly. It's never advisable to make changes to the prescribed dosage/regularity of medicines without consulting your doctor first. Or at least NHS Direct (0845 46 47). I know that's a real pain when it's your birthday, but it really is best to check it out before you take a break from your medication.
    hope you find a solution!
    :)
  • Options
    Drinking while on antibiotics will get you really pissed really quick. Your choice.
  • Options
  • Options
    GWST - could they tell me what effects stopping the tablets for 1 day would have?
    BTW ppl, they aren't antibiotics!
  • Options
  • Options
    obvious thing to do then is ask a pharmacist. :)
  • Options
    i know i sound like your nan, but if you have a problem with nausea, drinking isn't going to help, anyway!

if it's bad enough to need medication, i'd lay off the booze til you're better.
  • Options
    BTW ppl, they aren't antibiotics!

Are they antihistamines? The drugs could make you drowsy. Add alcohol for zzzzzzzzzz.
  • Options
    kaffrin - lol, you dont sound like my nan! im not planning on drinking whlist on them at all, just wondering if taking a 1 day break will affect them much. gonna ask pharmacy tomo!
    bluesneaker - nope, not antihistamines
  • Options
    what's the name. you've got me interested now. I only suggested antihistamines as I bought some travel sickness drugs and they were to control nausea... antihistamines anyway...bought them for the ferry ride to amsterdam.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i know i sound like your nan, but if you have a problem with nausea, drinking isn't going to help, anyway!

if it's bad enough to need medication, i'd lay off the booze til you're better.
    I wish you were my nan. Youre always so wise.
  • Options
    I wish you were my nan. Youre always so wise.

i've just made lots of mistakes. :yes: