Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Waitrose

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why are there no waitrose north of like Southport :yeees: ??

Comments

• Options
    there are, i'm sure there are?
  • Options
    i looked on the website...and typed in glasgow (as a test) and i think that was the nearest at 161 miles :/
  • Options
    arent they for people with money anyway? :p
  • Options
    so people north of southport have no money? :p
  • Options
    so people north of southport have no money? :p

Perhaps, or maybe they have more sense? ;)
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Perhaps, or maybe they have more sense? ;)
    They may be more expensive, but I think theyre supposed to be one of the more ethical supermarkets, so some may say that is worth the extra money.
  • Options
    Otley and Harrogate have them. Mmm. Waitrose.

And Ilkley only has a crappy Tesco. Haha.

Even Hull does :grump:
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    crappy Tesco.

:impissed:
  • Options
    :impissed:

Why's that?

You work for them, don't you?

This one really is naff. My local one is nice (and expanding...woo).
  • Options
    They may be more expensive, but I think theyre supposed to be one of the more ethical supermarkets, so some may say that is worth the extra money.

Maybe for some
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    And Ilkley only has a crappy Tesco.

We have the biggest Tesco in Europe. :D
  • Options
    we have 2 near where i live in south wales :P
  • Options
    Tesco's are pure evil as are ASDA, they screw over everyone make massive profits and convince consumers that they are getting a good deal. Just because your getting something cheaply it doesnt' mean that someone else somewhere isn't paying for it - through inadequte wages, long working hours, poor working conditions and lack of safety equipment and in some cases their lives (and thats just the humans). Oh and often you pay for it doubly though your taxes subsidising uneconomic farming practices throughout the european union - nice :thumb:

More info here and here

On a side note though waitrose is not only more ethically better but its food is also amasingly yummy - but it costs me nearly twice as much as it does in saisburys to do my weekly shop there - but that might be because i get seduced by all the lovley stuff.
  • Options
    Lidl is by far the best...great deals in there :yes:
  • Options
    i wonder how much it'd cost for delivery. failing that ill buy 6 months worth of food before i leave for manchesta
  • Options
    Co-op is good ethically too, although their organic range is severely lacking.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Tesco's are pure evil as are ASDA, they screw over everyone make massive profits and convince consumers that they are getting a good deal. Just because your getting something cheaply it doesnt' mean that someone else somewhere isn't paying for it - through inadequte wages, long working hours, poor working conditions and lack of safety equipment and in some cases their lives (and thats just the humans). Oh and often you pay for it doubly though your taxes subsidising uneconomic farming practices throughout the european union - nice :thumb:

More info here and here

On a side note though waitrose is not only more ethically better but its food is also amasingly yummy - but it costs me nearly twice as much as it does in saisburys to do my weekly shop there - but that might be because i get seduced by all the lovley stuff.

I'd totally agree with that Tesco have become coperate scumbags in the Walmart mold, deeply unpleasant to workers, farmers and producers. They should be hammered by the competition commission, but they wont be.

Waitrose isnt as expencive as people make out, a little above but not as much as people think and on some things they are cheaper. Good coffee for example is always cheaper there than Tesco.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'd totally agree with that Tesco have become coperate scumbags in the Walmart mold, deeply unpleasant to workers, farmers and producers. They should be hammered by the competition commission, but they wont be.

Waitrose isnt as expencive as people make out, a little above but not as much as people think and on some things they are cheaper. Good coffee for example is always cheaper there than Tesco.

Yes the competition comission cant' get anyone to come forward against Tescos because they are so large none of the suppliers can risk loosing a contract with them, even though they are progressively screwing over all the small producers. One day there wont' be any small suppleirs left though and Tesco will have to bow to the mightly Nestle (not that they dont' already) as there wont' be anyone left to buy from.
  • Options
    Waitrose is wonderful. I want one :(
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Yes the competition comission cant' get anyone to come forward against Tescos because they are so large none of the suppliers can risk loosing a contract with them, even though they are progressively screwing over all the small producers. One day there wont' be any small suppleirs left though and Tesco will have to bow to the mightly Nestle (not that they dont' already) as there wont' be anyone left to buy from.

Whats the biggest joke is that the small Tesco stores and the large Tesco arent considered in the same market, so Tesco can open loads of stores in the same area without coming up against the Commission.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Why's that?

You work for them, don't you?

This one really is naff. My local one is nice (and expanding...woo).

yes i do. :p

mine's ace but of course only 'cause i work there.

when it was first built it was one of the biggest in the UK. that was 3 years ago though.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Lidl is by far the best...great deals in there :yes:

:yuck:

go on, call me a snob. :p
  • Options
    :yuck:

go on, call me a snob. :p

snob ;)

I don't mind their food though and it's dirt cheap.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    snob ;)

I don't mind their food though and it's dirt cheap.

i will admit that i'm a food snob. i blame my mother!
  • Options
    Tesco stuff has really come down in quality in the last year, its woeful now.

All the big supermarket chains are morally and ethically bankrupt. John Lewis are the best of a bad bunch, really.

I quite oike Waitrose, they are extending. I'm suprised they don't have one in Edinburgh yet, tbh.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    All the big supermarket chains are morally and ethically bankrupt. John Lewis are the best of a bad bunch, really.

They are especially better when it comes to the sourcing of meat, they actually care a little about conditions where as the others clearly do not.

I'm trying to get most of my veg from local growers though, it might not last as long in the fridge but hasnt traveled 5000 miles to my plate.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

I did my first ever real shop at a Waitrose today.

Normally I use Tesco or Asda and was pleasently surprised at Waitrose.

Haven't got around to eating any of the food I bought today, except had a cup of Waitrose Tea and that's OK.

I hear Tesco's squeezes farmers in developing nations of certain products so much they can't afford to live on what they earn.

Having said that some items, mainly meat was seriously expensive in Waitrose, beef was ranging from £8 per kg to £15 per kg - last week we got a joint from Tescos for about £3 fo 1 kg and made a pretty good roast from it. you could certainly see the Waitrose Beef seemed like much better quality but I imagine a lot of people can't afford their prices. I only wanted a small joint to experiment with a new recipe, but at their prices I didn't want to take a chance on trying something new.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Waitrose is excellent, especially for meat.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Supposedly Leeds are getting a John Lewis (and Waitrose). Which is good.
  • Options
    omg Andy are u serious? that would make me SO happy! Everyone who has visited me here from home has brought me delights from waitrose hehe.