Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is it ok or should I do something more?

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
At Friday night, I cut my finger by mistake, right where the joint is. A small part of the skin is missing. Almost immediately, I used alcohol on it to avoid infection, but since no bandaid was available I just wrapped it in paper (the kind you use to wipe your hands after washing them).
About an hour ago I used alcohol again, and since it seemed to have stopped bleeding I let it uncovered. Later I finally went home, and put a bandaid on it just in case. I've changed it a couple of times since then, and it always has blood on it, even two days later. When I changed it earlier today I tried pushing the skin around the cut and it did bleed some.

My question is, should I just let it heal as it is or do I have a reason to be afraid? Should I have it looked at by a pharmacist or something?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Firstly never put alcohol on a cut of anykind... :eek2:

As you say, it is over a joint in your finger, this will mean that when you move it, you are opening the cut again. It will however stop bleeding... just leave it alone and stop poking at it.

Keep it clean and dry [i.e. no alcohol], and don't change the dressing too often.

All the pharmacist will say, do you want to buy this riduclously overpriced special elastoplast that will heal it up in two ticks. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Why on earth shouldn't he have used alcohol?

ETA: nevermind.
  • Options
    I did think the reason it was bleeding was because it was on the joint but I wasn't sure, thank you. :)

But why not alcohol? I thought that in order to avoid infection on a wound you use either H2O2 (I don't know what you call that in English) or alcohol...
  • Options
    H202 is HydrOgen peroxide... the best way To cleanse a wound is salty water.

Boil a pan of water [about a pint] and put half a teaspoon of salt in it.

Let it cool ad bathe the wound in that...don't use cotton wool

Dry it thorougly...dabbing it, not rubbing an cover it with a dry dressing...e.g. a plaster

ETA; Alcohol should NOT be used inside wounds or on open wounds. When used on exposed tissue, alcohol kills some of your tissues along with the germs. This delays healing. When used INSIDE a wound, alcohol can actually make the wound MORE infection prone by turning your tissue into dead "germ food."
  • Options
    Deleted: I posted before your edit.
    Again, thanks for the information.
  • Options
    I did exactly the same thing a few weeks ago - you need to bandage it up quite tight just for a couple of days to stop wound constantly catching and opening - put a plaster on it and then wrap it in a few layers of gauze just so tight that the joint cant move too easily, and be prepared that the skin might not grow back like it used to be
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    you need to bandage it up quite tight just for a couple of days

:no: :no: :no: