Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

is this an end to factory farms?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
apparamtly scientists have come up with a way of producing meat in the lab. a lot more ethical than the atrocities of factory farming. but it involves animal cloning. - a short but interesting read - here's the link:-
http://www.focusmag.co.uk/newsread.asp?ID=14068

Comments

• Options
    otter wrote:
    apparamtly ]

men have been growing meat in open fields for generations along with all manner of other edibles for the human population of earth.
    to the extent that we now produce enough food to feed eight planets!
  • Options
    to the extent that we now produce enough food to feed eight planets!

Yet billions still starve here every day and night!
  • Options
    That just sounds scary to me. I really don't think i could trust meat grown in a lab, it's just too unnatural.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yet billions still starve here every day and night!
    so what difference do you think monsanto meat would make?
  • Options
    so what difference do you think monsanto meat would make?

Not much as long as the West continues to control trade markets!
  • Options
    I love my meat, pork, lamb, duck is also nice. I don't see why we shouldn't eat other animals, do you really think a lion in the Sahara who's about to maul you to pieces is going to stop and think "oh he might have feelings" I think not. Animals are predatory by nature.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I love my meat, pork, lamb, duck is also nice. I don't see why we shouldn't eat other animals, do you really think a lion in the Sahara who's about to maul you to pieces is going to stop and think "oh he might have feelings" I think not. Animals are predatory by nature.
    not sure what this has to do with the price of fish mate ...
  • Options
    not sure what this has to do with the price of fish mate ...

Nah I just hate those people who look down on you because you're a "savage barbarian" :rolleyes: Fair enough, you can make meat in a lab, I don't care either way.
  • Options
    That just sounds scary to me. I really don't think i could trust meat grown in a lab, it's just too unnatural.
    And all the chemicals and shit we consume each day is natural too?

In our cosmetics, in our food and drinks...
  • Options
    if you've had a meal today thank a farmer ...
  • Options
    Surely this could put an end to people dying of starvation in the third world? Their animals do not have enough to eat, so the meat is of poor quality, when they can get it. But then i think with GM crops i'd have to be hypocritical and say its good for the third world, but i wouldn't touch it.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    Surely this could put an end to people dying of starvation in the third world? Their animals do not have enough to eat, so the meat is of poor quality, when they can get it. But then i think with GM crops i'd have to be hypocritical and say its good for the third world, but i wouldn't touch it.

Of course... If scientists want to justify their research they say "think of the third world!"

I mean how many GM crops have benefitted the world so far?
  • Options
    satehen wrote:

sounds all to familiar ... let them eat cake.

Surely this could put an end to people dying of starvation in the third world?
    but it won't will it ...did you read my post about the green revolution in the 60's?
    did you notice there that i mentioned we already grow enough food to feed eight planets?
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I'm not for interfering with nature. I don't think it cares about me though.

Nature, not being a quantifiable entity and inturn having no emotional base, is evidently incapable of caring about you, me or anyone.

I wouldn't take it personally.
  • Options
    Nature, not being a quantifiable entity and inturn having no emotional base, is evidently incapable of caring about you, me or anyone.

I wouldn't take it personally.
    :lol: :thumb: