Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hair Dye-Help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After a bit of a cock up at the hairdressers (shall we just say 'mousy') i've decided to go for it and dye my hair dark, I've picked up a nice dark brown hair dye, now my question is this- How do i go about applying this myself? any tips as it looks a bit fiddly (btw i cant get anyone to help my-my mum refuses point blank and none of my mates would really be good with this sort of thing)
Thanks in advance
xxxxxx

Comments

• Options
    erm, wear old clothes+an older towerl round your shoulders, as the dye probably wont come out of your clothes!
    when my mum dyes my hair she finds the best way to do it is to start at the top+squirt little bits in, making sure my roots are done and then spread the remaining dye around the middle+tips. Just make sure you get near your neck, forehead+ears, otherwise it'll be so obvious you've dyed it!
    Also, if you put a bit of vaseline on your skin, the dye wont dye you!
  • Options
    If your not happy with your hair you should go back to the hairdresser and demand they fix it.Especially if its not what you asked for.
    But i doubt you will do that so i advise what sugar mouse has already stated but...dont forget about the tips of your hair.Put plenty on them,unless you want that 2 tones effect that is..
  • Options
    Read the insructions?
  • Options
    Put dye along your parting, around the front, behind your ears and just above your neck at the back. Then part your hair in sections, apply dye there, and generally disperse it all over your hair.

Works for me.
  • Options
    Every hair dye comes with full instructions, pay very close attention to them. Wear old clothes as they will get stained, i've put aside old clothes specifically for that purpose. Also drape an old towel around your shoulders and on the floor to prevent it from splashing every where. Always wear the gloves. Start from your parting and apply down the roots, then massage it in making sure your whole head is coverd, then if your hair is long enough put it in a poney tail and keep a close eye on the clock. If your anything like me you'll probably get it all over your forehead and neck, if this happens either use a wet tissue to wipe it off quickly or make up remover. When you come to wash it off it will probably take ages (mine does), but it's important that you rinse untill the water runs clear. It will probably also splash all over your bath/sink and on the tiles, so if tht does happen wash it off quickly before it stains. Also most hair dyes come with intensive conditioners, dying you hair takes a lot of moisture out of it so be sure to use the conditioner. Then just dry and style. You'll get used to it. :flirt:
  • Options
    when i started dying my hair i used to do it really carefully and do the whole vaseline business.

these days i just whack it all on, rub it in, and chill out for half an hour, and it looks just as good.

the most important thing is to have enough for your hair. if your hair is mid length to long, you'll need two boxes. if it's very long, you'll probably need three. if you don't have enough, it won't coat all your hair properly, and will look patchy. also beware the home hair dye trap - almost all colours come out darker than they look on the box. if you want dark brown, opt for one that says medium brown. dark brown does have a tendency to come out black.

after your dye job, you will probably need to condition the tits off your hair. lots. invest in a good treatment (superdrug do a coconut one that's amazing for the price) and leave it on for about half an hour once a week. you hair will soon forgive you.
  • Options
    I actually find my hair comes out lighter than the colour shown on the box.
    Depends what sort of hair you've got etc.
  • Options
    i apply it to the roots first and then rub it into the rest of it like shampoo.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I have always found that shampoo does a good job of removing dye stains from my face and neck. IMO as long as you manage to get the dye on quickly and you have enough for the length of your hair, all you have to do is work it in to ensure good coverage, and you will be ok. It really is easy!
  • Options
    It is soooo easy. Its not much harder than shampooing and conditioning your hair, in fact ive never understood why people bother getting it done in salons.
  • Options
    putting vaseline around your hairline is a must to stop face dyeage, but make sure its the proper stuff and not vaseline lip therapy like my friend bought - who then ended up with a streaky face :shocking: :eek:
  • Options
    i always forget to use vaseline, so i just don't even bother now. if you wash the dye off your skin straight after it comes off fine. i always end up with it in the strangest places :\

and make sure you cover the floor beneath you..might be wise for your first time!
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    if you want dark brown, opt for one that says medium brown. dark brown does have a tendency to come out black.

Tell me about it! You'd think they'd have put the dark browns as "natural black" or something by now. It's so misleading.

Even light browns are dark, I used to want light brown hair and actually used ash blonde shades

I'd be really hesitant to put a dark brown into my hair again unless I wanted a natural black look.
  • Options
    Sooo did it turn out ok?
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    Sooo did it turn out ok?
    I havent done it yet, im really scared of doing myself and nobody will help me :crying: not as in you lot, you lot have been fab but my mum is totaly against the idea-offered me £50 not to do it and go to the hairdressers but i cant get an appointment anywhere for about 4 weeks, and my silly friend is too wrapped up and sluttish to bother :mad:
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    I havent done it yet, im really scared of doing myself and nobody will help me :crying: not as in you lot, you lot have been fab but my mum is totaly against the idea-offered me £50 not to do it and go to the hairdressers but i cant get an appointment anywhere for about 4 weeks, and my silly friend is too wrapped up and sluttish to bother :mad:

ah, do it yourself! you can always dye it again if it goes wrong. and i don't think you can really go wrong if you're doing it darker.
  • Options
    I wish my mother would offer me £50 not to dye my hair myself..but i've been doing it since i was 15.
  • Options
    yeah me 2

how about you go out and chose a lighter shade, say a light brown, and use that. then if u want it darker u can use ur darker shade.

i wudnt pay £50 for the to do it.
  • Options
    its simple, just slap it all on, leave it for the time required then rinse it off.

not a big deal

do the patch test first
  • Options
    Update for anyone who's intrested

Ive gone brunette at the hairdressers!! :D
  • Options
    go on, show us a pic.
  • Options
    I agree about the 'dark brown being black' thing. I used to use Loréal Castings in natural dark brown (semi permanent) and it came out black and permanently black... It's taken me over a year to grow 5 inches of it out. And, I was told by all salons, that it wouldn't dye over because it was so close to being black, so the only option is to grow it out :yeees:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Yeah show us a pic.
  • Options
    :yes: I once got my hair dyed dark brown and it turned out black. I wasn't happy.

i dyed my hair today and it's came out black, i dosn't look to bad though...thank goodness. I've been told it suits me! I can't wait to see what my dad says about it!! (he's worried my going to be a goth.... :no: )
  • Options
    I agree about the 'dark brown being black' thing. I used to use Loréal Castings in natural dark brown (semi permanent) and it came out black and permanently black... It's taken me over a year to grow 5 inches of it out. And, I was told by all salons, that it wouldn't dye over because it was so close to being black, so the only option is to grow it out :yeees:

Ilora x

hasn't it faded away even a little bit when you wash it?
  • Options
    Nah not really. It faded as all hair dyes do, but it didn't suddenly go from black to brown. What's in my hair now is pretty much permanent until it's all grown out.

But saying that, because so much of it has grown out now, my stylist says it'd be worth considering having the rest of the colour stripped, whereas before it was far too risky to strip because all of it was dyed so dark.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I will get a piccie tommorow, im loving the new colour though and the cut is fab