Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

USA: Rebuild or move?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think once things settle down that they should rebuild all the places flooded in the south by the Hurricane or simply move inland to areas in the USA that are safer?

if I lived there I think I'd probably feel safer moving!

Comments

• Options
    It will be interesting, since a lot of the places are below sea level anyway so in effect they'd need dam bits off and pump all the water out. And though it's not the same, look at the tsunami in SE Asia. Coastal towns and villages were obliterated, but the people have bounced back building back their villages and towns, hotels rushing back in to set up etc. and in effect it will have many positive offshoots to come (get rid of the old, in with the new, so to speak).

So as to whether Americans will or not remains to be seen. I think as a people, the UK included btw, they're 'spoilt' so to speak - houses are just there and they pick one up off the property market. So in all likelyhood many of them will just go find a new home. Americans are very migratory and normally live where they get a job (rented accomodation being very common there).
  • Options
    The problem with a city like New Orleans, surrounded by water by practically all sides and actually below sea level, is that no matter how good a defence you build there is always the chance of Nature getting one better.

It is possible to build truly excellent defences, invulnerable to everything but catastrophic, one-in-a-thousand-years storm. The current levees were only built to withstand category 3 hurricanes anyway. If the US government is really prepared to upgrade all defences to category five and to upgrade pumps/ other emergency measures, I guess New Orleans should have a future for at least a few centuries. But simply repairing existing defences won't be much help in the long or even mid term.
  • Options
    houses are just there and they pick one up off the property market. ).

like apples from a tree?
  • Options
    what planet are you from?

earth, you?
  • Options
    earth, you?

Jupiter (dr octagon :D )
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Im from Uranus.

Anyway, I'd just grab a trailer and hitch up somewhere. I may do this anyway.
  • Options
    I'm watching this programme on BBC 1 showing people fleeing by car out of New Orleans and they're showing the hiways, on the left the roads going towards new Orleans are totally empty - on the other side of the road the roads are packed with cars and at a stand still - why not just block all incoming traffic and drive on the other side of the road as well and make use of those extra 3 lanes?
  • Options
    I'm watching this programme on BBC 1 showing people fleeing by car out of New Orleans and they're showing the hiways, on the left the roads going towards new Orleans are totally empty - on the other side of the road the roads are packed with cars and at a stand still - why not just block all incoming traffic and drive on the other side of the road as well and make use of those extra 3 lanes?
    that side was kept empty so news teams from all over ythe world could get in ...