Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Labour peer gives money - to LibDems?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4208730.stm

Now here's an interesting one. A Labour peer could be facing expulsion from his party after allegations were made that he gave money to fund a Liberal Democrat's successful election campaign. Apparently, Lord Haskin gave £2,500 to LibDem Danny Alexander, who went on to beat a Labour candidate and is now a Scottish MP.

The fundamental question: should people be allowed to give money to whichever political party they please? And another: why would a Labour peer give money to a Liberal Democrat candidate?

Can you make any sense of this?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The fundamental question: should people be allowed to give money to whichever political party they please?

Yes they should be able to give money to whoever they wish. But political parties should also be free to expel members who decide to fund their opponents
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well I don't know what the rules of the Labour party are but I wouldn't be surprise if they regulate against one of their own members- let alone an elected one- giving money to a rival party.

I'd be interested too to know the reasons behind this bloke giving money to a Lib Dem.. :chin: