Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

alcohol & stealing!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi! Firslty can I just say I'm not sure whether this is the right forum or not, but it seems to be related to my mental sanity!

Basically, last week it was my birthday and I was *wasted* and I decided I'd try my luck at the bar for a free drink and bottom line is he didn't give me one SO I decided to steal someone else drink! Trouble is I got caught by the bartender and I just had to pay for the drink, but it was sooo embarassing!

But thing is I've noticed that I just steal SO many things! And mostly when I'm drunk! Things like pint glasses, ashtrays, beer mats etc, and I was like well most drunk students do that anyways don't they?

But then I remembered a few months ago I actually stole a bottle of liquor from behind the bar!! At the time me and ma friend thought it was well funny and I've got the bloody bottle in ma room like a trophy! Thing is I think it's getting out of hand 'cuz... :o last summer on hols I actually stole about £35 of this old drunk man, but at the time again I dismissed it 'cuz I just told ma self he had it coming 'cuz he was a pervy old man coming on to me, giving me his wallet to go buy us drinks, with a wife and kids at home probs!

I'm I overreacting? I can't stop thinking that I'm turning into some kind of clepto, 'cuz now I find my self going into Tesco's and thinking, uh it would be so much easier (and cheaper!) if I could just steal that! I mean I've never shop lifted by I'm scared that I will, it's like I don't trust ma self! And I'm scared that the next time I get drunk I'm gonna get the urge to steal some one's drink, which if I get caught again I'll prob get beat up, kicked out or arrested! Or all 3!

I guess the logical answer is to just not get drunk, but it's just that once I start drinking I can't stop! Like even if I throw up I'll just go back and get another drink!

Am I over reacing about this stealing business?? I know I must sound a bit neurotic right now, but it's getting me paranoid now, I swear I stay up 'till like 3/4am, just worrying about it! :(

Comments

• Options
    Haha, sounds a bit like me when it comes to drinking. Sorry I can't really think of anything to say to help you. It's all good when your drinking but when you think about stealing when sober it may become something to be concerned about.

Just tell yourself if you do that then you'll feel really guilty. :)
  • Options
    Here's a shocking suggestion for you...

Stop drinking.
  • Options
    Here's a shocking suggestion for you...

Stop drinking.

thanx very much
  • Options
    *§atania* wrote:
    thanx very much

It's the best solution though.
  • Options
    I know...I can say that to myself but I know it's a bit unrealistic being a student at uni, and I dont *want* to stop drinking :no: I think trying to be more moderate is more attainable i guess
  • Options
    That or think about how u wud feel if u got really wankered then someone stole a load of stuff from you.
  • Options
    Well, you could drink in moderation rather than getting so plastered you don't realise what you're doing.

The other sensible thing would eb to tell a good friend what you've just told us andask them to keep an eye on you if you get too drunk. Give them th egreen light to stop you if they see you looking shifty.

Take a look at the articles in our responsible drinking section, too ;)
  • Options
    *§atania* wrote:
    thanx very much

You're welcome.

If you aren't willing to change then don't ask for advice. You seem to accept that your drinking is a problem. So stop.

If you can't do that then you have to ask yourself why you cannot avoid alcohol too...
  • Options
    It seems a bit trampy but when I'm drunk I always steal other people's pints...free drink yaaaaaaaaay! :yippe:
  • Options
    then don't ask for advice.

Well if your gonna give me advice with a stupid sarcastic tone, "here's a shocking suggestion," I mean wtf was that necessary? you make some one feel worse then they did before they wrote the thing!
  • Options
    I wouldn't recommend you stop drinking, it's clear you like to drink a lot, I'd just recommend you take enough money out to the pub and if you run out, go home! Quite simple really.
  • Options
    You must hang out with at least one person with a conscience? The knicking drinks thing can be forgiven at a push, but stealing £35 from some old geezer 'just because' is awful. :impissed:
  • Options
    *§atania* wrote:
    But thing is I've noticed that I just steal SO many things! And mostly when I'm drunk! Things like pint glasses, ashtrays, beer mats etc, and I was like well most drunk students do that anyways don't they?
    :yes: most of us do it. :p
    Stop drinking.
    the point is unless you stop drinking or stop getting wasted... you won't be able to control your behaviour... and won't be able to resist stealing stuff. may be try replacing every alternative drink with a non-alcoholic one when you go to the bar... so you won't get as drunk as easily. if you didn't drink, would you still steal? if not then the problem is not the stealing, the problem is the drinking. nobody can control their behaviour when they are totally plastard.
  • Options
    *§atania* wrote:
    it's a bit unrealistic being a student at uni,

That's not an excuse! Agreed, being a student is a time to have many new life experiences, but not at the detriment to your health, both physically and mentally.

Moderate your drinking, I find being tipsy is much better that being so rat-arsed that you can barely stand. Drink makes us lose all out inhibitions, conscience and remorse goes out the window. As you feel guilt when sober, it looks like the drink is to blamd, cutting down will probably lead to the stealing stopping.
  • Options
    *§atania* wrote:
    Well if your gonna give me advice with a stupid sarcastic tone, "here's a shocking suggestion," I mean wtf was that necessary?

It was a bit obvious though, wouldn't you say?

The link between your light-fingeredness and your drinking. Really, did you need to ask for advice? You're at Uni FFS, it's not like you don't have any intelligence, is it?

TBH Moderation would be a better idea, as would going out with people who you can rely on to stay sober enough to keep an eye on you. However, if you need a second person because you cannot control yourself, or cannot be confident that you will act properly, then again I would argue that you shouldn't drink at all.
  • Options
    It was a bit obvious though, wouldn't you say?

The link between your light-fingeredness and your drinking. Really, did you need to ask for advice? You're at Uni FFS, it's not like you don't have any intelligence, is it?

TBH Moderation would be a better idea, as would going out with people who you can rely on to stay sober enough to keep an eye on you. However, if you need a second person because you cannot control yourself, or cannot be confident that you will act properly, then again I would argue that you shouldn't drink at all.

:yes:
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    That's not an excuse! Agreed, being a student is a time to have many new life experiences, but not at the detriment to your health, both physically and mentally.
    I'd go further and suggest that if you think being a student = having to drink to excess then you probably shouldn't bother with uni.

Satania, you need to have a think about your social life. If you require alcohol to have fun then you have a problem that you need to address (as you seem to realise). Normally when people realise that a habit is becoming troublesome (i.e. your stealing) they have to break the habit.

Think about it.