Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Looting in New Orleans

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
well

Oh maybe i should say something - so this morning was talking to Mr Wyetry and i said - hum if it had happened in the UK I just don't think that there would have been all this armed gangs looting problems - and he said hum no i don't think it would even occour to me as a thing to even start doing - i'd be far more worried about trying to get out safely - look after other people etc etc. Well i guess we are a nation thats very good a queing patiently.

I also heard on the radio a bloke who's son - I think is inside the staduim in new orleans and basically its awful not only are there just loads of people - but there are loads of people with guns and stuff controlling access to all the water and food supplies - I'm only hoping they are making sure that they go to the old and vulnerable people but i'm not really sure - but it didn't really sound that way.

But also why on earth is there so much of a problem with the fact that people are looting stuff - I dunno I mean I heard one bloke from missisipi who was 73 had no home or anyting and was just looking for some food - now surely given the greater scheame of things that isnt' really a bad thing???

But then again obviously if people are going into houses and stealing personal possessions thats another thing and its just plain out of order.

Comments

• Options
    If a hurrican flooded my area, I would loot all round me, who wouldn't?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    If a hurrican flooded my area, I would loot all round me, who wouldn't?

So you'd go out and steal stuff above getting your self to safety and helping others to do the same? Would you just be thinking - hum i think maybe its about time to leave now....

Would you steal stuff from peoples houses or just shops?

(I still havent' decided if its a bad thing or not)
  • Options
    Four meals away from the end of civilisation.
  • Options
    I think there is a clear moral distinction between taking food, water or even clothes, and taking electrical equipment, furnishings or any other such stuff. I can't blame anyone in such desperate situation for breaking into food stores and grabbing whatever food and water they can.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    So you'd go out and steal stuff above getting your self to safety and helping others to do the same? Would you just be thinking - hum i think maybe its about time to leave now....

Would you steal stuff from peoples houses or just shops?

(I still havent' decided if its a bad thing or not)

Just shops, I wouldn't rob another persons house. And while not trying to sound like some 15 yr old stoner, we've been fucked over by these corporations anyway, charging what they want for these goods, we might aswell steal them.
  • Options
    I was discussing this very thing with someone recently and I cant say I blame those people for looting.

If you are someone who lives on welfare its going to be hard to walk past a jewelry shop or similar without thinking 'I'm never going to be caught'.

And of course like they always do the addition of guns into the situation has made it much worse.
  • Options
    yeah I mean if your hungry and looking for food and stuff then its not a bad thing at all - similarly with stealing stuff from shops - the likelyhood of stock not just going in the bin as soon as the water receedes is minimal.

Also there was a bloke from the british consulate saying they were trying to get all the english people off of the busses and put them up in hotels instead of going into the big stadium in Houston - which was quite nice but a bit unfair.

Also FFS why aren't those people who still have houses not putting up people who dont' instead of leaving them in halls and the like where there arent' enough facilities.
  • Options
    I imagine if i happened to me that i would end up looting even though id rather not. These people have lost everything you cant blame for robbing say a jewllary store becuase the stuff they steal will be able to help them once they do leave becuase they will sell it on

What i find worse is how these gangs opened fire on a helicopter yesterday that was trying to move to old and sick
  • Options
    film_buff wrote:
    I imagine if i happened to me that i would end up looting even though id rather not. These people have lost everything you cant blame for robbing say a jewllary store becuase the stuff they steal will be able to help them once they do leave becuase they will sell it on

Never woulda thought of that myself, I'd loot for the simple pleasure of stealing.
  • Options
    I'd loot and share it out.
  • Options
    Stealing/looting for food/clothes/water I can understand. It would appear that it's almost every man for themselves at the moment.

But why would you take things like electrical goods (Nowhere to plug them in as power is down) and chances are it's damamged and waterlogged anyway.

They're just doing for the sake of stealing me thinks.

Jewellery and other expensive items? Yeah I might do. Couldn't really say for sure unless I was ever in the position but if I thought it was the end of the world and everything was going to go Mad Max style I would want some stuff to barter with ;)
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'd loot and share it out.

Agreed. If everyone is operates with that mentality then everyone gets something.
  • Options
    This was a thought that struck me post 9/11 and it's struck me again with this event.

The yanks are shite at homegrown crisis.

More because they just don't think they can happen and that they will be ok anyway and then fail to plan than anything else. That "can do" spirit is infuriating when you are planning for contingencies, as anyone who has worked with the average american will tell you.
  • Options
    They dont seem to have the ability to pull togther when something happens where as when something happens in Britain everyone gets behind each other, helping each out.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    I also heard on the radio a bloke who's son - I think is inside the staduim in new orleans and basically its awful not only are there just loads of people - but there are loads of people with guns and stuff controlling access to all the water and food supplies -

Not much of a surprise as this is how a capitalist society basically functions.
  • Options
    film_buff wrote:
    They dont seem to have the ability to pull togther when something happens where as when something happens in Britain everyone gets behind each other, helping each out.

Although people do, I've read reports of "looters" sharing food out.
  • Options
    Four meals away from the end of civilisation.

Exactly.

The looting isn't what's bothering me.

The raping is. The murdering is. The gangland terrorism is.

It says a lot about the Western mentality that everyone is talking about some people nicking some Nike trainers, but not about raping women at random in both the football stadium and the conference centres.

I think the US was always a lot closer to the end of civilisation to us (most of the courty still isn't) , but if a natural disaster hit many parts of London or Nottingham it would be the same.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I think there is a clear moral distinction between taking food, water or even clothes, and taking electrical equipment, furnishings or any other such stuff. I can't blame anyone in such desperate situation for breaking into food stores and grabbing whatever food and water they can.

Exactly. Taking baby milk, food, water, clothes, etc. from shops is fine given the lack of help these people are getting, in that position they have very little choice.

Nicking DVD players, TV's, guns, etc is simply unacceptable. However, if the US government was a little better prepared, quicker in giving help and not so incompetent people wouldn't need to be stealing food and water and opportunist thieves would not be using this horrible disaster to their own advantage.
  • Options
    Nicking DVD players, TV's, guns,

A gun would be the first thing on my list in such a situation. Theres no point foraging for stuff if some twat takes it all off you cos he's armed.

Kermit is also right, as usual, about where the focus of attention has gone.
  • Options
    See thats kind of my thinking - surely there are greater things to be worrying about than peopel stealing a stuff.

I can't belive how unorganised they are though.
  • Options
    Exactly. Taking baby milk, food, water, clothes, etc. from shops is fine given the lack of help these people are getting, in that position they have very little choice.

Nicking DVD players, TV's, guns, etc is simply unacceptable. However, if the US government was a little better prepared, quicker in giving help and not so incompetent people wouldn't need to be stealing food and water and opportunist thieves would not be using this horrible disaster to their own advantage.

People nicking DVD players? The whole place is under water! Doubtful to say the least. What it does illustrate though is the shit that you get when you have a society so divided by inequalities in wealth. Quit with your personal moralising and take a look at the bigger picture for once eh?
  • Options
    Apparently there has been a huge explosion from a chemical factory and some reports say there's a nasty cloud over the city now too, but its still dark there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4207202.stm
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    I can't belive how unorganised they are though.

I can.

The rich aren't there. Why hurry?
  • Options
    "Louisiana's governor said 300 "battle-tested" National Guardsmen were being sent to the crippled city.

"They have M-16s and are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and I expect they will," Kathleen Blanco said. " - BBC

Thats going to help isnt it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I can.

The rich aren't there. Why hurry?

Ha ha - was saying that clearly if a person didn't own an suv to get them out then they clearly wern't worth saving!!!

Its stupid though stuff like this happens all over the world every day - just there arent normally tv cameras to film it.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

Depends who they shoot.

Shoot the rapists in the bollocks and I'd cheer them to the rafters.
  • Options
    I cannot beleive how badly the government is reacting to this when their own citizens now appear to be killing eachother. Its so sad. :(
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    "Louisiana's governor said 300 "battle-tested" National Guardsmen were being sent to the crippled city.

"They have M-16s and are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and I expect they will," Kathleen Blanco said. " - BBC

She sounds like a really nice lady.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    well

Oh maybe i should say something - so this morning was talking to Mr Wyetry and i said - hum if it had happened in the UK I just don't think that there would have been all this armed gangs looting problems - and he said hum no i don't think it would even occour to me as a thing to even start doing - i'd be far more worried about trying to get out safely - look after other people etc etc. Well i guess we are a nation thats very good a queing patiently.

I also heard on the radio a bloke who's son - I think is inside the staduim in new orleans and basically its awful not only are there just loads of people - but there are loads of people with guns and stuff controlling access to all the water and food supplies - I'm only hoping they are making sure that they go to the old and vulnerable people but i'm not really sure - but it didn't really sound that way.

But also why on earth is there so much of a problem with the fact that people are looting stuff - I dunno I mean I heard one bloke from missisipi who was 73 had no home or anyting and was just looking for some food - now surely given the greater scheame of things that isnt' really a bad thing???

But then again obviously if people are going into houses and stealing personal possessions thats another thing and its just plain out of order.
    This is as close as I get to 'anti-Americanism' when I say that I think it's a cultural thing with the Yanks (and the Rebs). That whole 'take my gun from my cold dead hands' thing, combined with a distrust of authority (chicken/egg?) means that when relief doesn't arrive 'yesterday' (and I though Bush was being crass when said that. Not so much now), they lose the plot.

It's kind of ironic to think that this kind of mindset is ever going to defeat international terrorism, but they are in an extreme situation. Even if we experienced the same kind of disaster here, our geography is totally different. They might as well be on the moon on that flat plain, with helicopters unable to land for fear of gunfire, and disease threatening to kill those who survived the winds. And the government really isn't up to the task of relief, hence the plea of New Orleans' Mayor. I think it's still getting worse.
  • Options
    it was predicted earlier this year, and they had days of notice before the hurricane hit land, yet nothing was done.... how ashaming of the local and national government :(

oh and they had a programme of recovering wetland just to be there to reduce damge done next time any form of flooding happened, guess what happened, george bush signed an order for that only to be done when development could occur on that land, despite it actually being of huge risk