Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

phantom appointment - bit worried.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, so i've become a bit of a regular at the old outpatients department this last year, and i've become accustomed to the way they do things. i don't know if it's the same all over, but in the department i go to, if you need any tests doing, they will give you a request form after your appointment, and you give it to the receptionist guy to arrange. all well and good.

however, today i got a letter through to ring for an appointment for a CT scan. and i've never been told i needed one, or been given the request form for one. but it's got all my details on, right down to the NHS number.

at my last appointment i had a chest xray, and was booked in for an ultrasound of a persistently swollen gland. and i'm a little worried that they've seen something on my xray, and want to scan it for a closer look.

not really a question, and i don't think i even expect anyone to be able to advise (unless you're familiar with the rhuemy workings of the LGI). but are my worries ridiculous, or is this a possibility?

Comments

• Options
    Is there someone at the PCT / hospital you can ring and query it with? Maybe it's an accident with a database (i.e. there's a Katherine with your surname, or your NHS number is spookily similar to someone else's), in which case theyll need to know, I guess. The NHS is as fallible as the rest of the world, it's probs worth asking.
  • Options
    there's a number on the letter, but it's only available 8am - 12pm, and that's 14 hours of worrying if i'm just being daft and it doesn't work that way :p
  • Options
    i would try not to worry, it's perhaps a clerical error or something. don't worry about it until you know you have reason to. not that you will. :)
  • Options
    have you sorted it out yet? :)
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    ok, so i've become a bit of a regular at the old outpatients department this last year, and i've become accustomed to the way they do things. i don't know if it's the same all over, but in the department i go to, if you need any tests doing, they will give you a request form after your appointment, and you give it to the receptionist guy to arrange. all well and good.

It doesn't always work that way, sometimes the consultant will dictate something for his secretary to follow up on.

I would, hoever, expect him to have discussed it with you first, becuase you should consent for treatment/investigations.
    however, today i got a letter through to ring for an appointment for a CT scan. and i've never been told i needed one, or been given the request form for one. but it's got all my details on, right down to the NHS number.

So give them a call and ask for some more information. You will probably end up speaking to the consultants secretary though because I doubt that the booking team will know why the test was ordered.
    at my last appointment i had a chest xray, and was booked in for an ultrasound of a persistently swollen gland. and i'm a little worried that they've seen something on my xray, and want to scan it for a closer look.

not really a question, and i don't think i even expect anyone to be able to advise (unless you're familiar with the rhuemy workings of the LGI). but are my worries ridiculous, or is this a possibility?

It could be a range of things, including a "scattergun" set of referrals (multiple referrals to lots of places) from the doctor because he doesn't know which will give him the answers he's looking for.

It's easy for me to say, but I wouldn't worry about it. Ask the questions and you may get the answers you seek...
  • Options
    yes, it is definitely for me. and they can't tell me why i need it, but they'd like to get me seen to asap.

the order came direct from the consultant, and he'll discuss the results with me at my next clinic appointment.

bum.
  • Options
    Good luck.
  • Options
    yeah good luck with it, try not to worry too much untill you know what is actually up :)
  • Options
    thanks. sadly i'm one of those people who is able to think through the worst possible case in every scenario. so telling me not to worry is a wee bit like leaving a big juicy bone in a room with your dog and telling him not to eat it :p
  • Options
    Yeah, clearly you're dying, but ne'er mind. Worse things happen at sea. Keep your pecker up. :yippe:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    yes, it is definitely for me. and they can't tell me why i need it, but they'd like to get me seen to asap.

the order came direct from the consultant, and he'll discuss the results with me at my next clinic appointment.

bum.

if there is anything you don't understand or you are worried as to why this c.t.scan is nessesary you could ring your local primary care trust and ask for the contact number for the P.A.L.S.(patient advice liasion service) team, they are able to help in almost any situations and could maybe put your mind at ease.
    all pct's have a p.a.l.s. service and it is confidential.
    you can contact your pals officer who is Liz Croft on 0800 0525 270.
    i've always found pals to be an effectice solution when i have had concerns about my health. failing this you could ask your consultant to phone you and tell you as to why you need a ct scan....
  • Options
    good luck :thumb: :yum:
  • Options
    Good luck! I hope everything's okay.