Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

This is gonna cost you...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

The on going care of the people affected will cost the NHS a fortune in the future and there is the added issue of the ongoing rise.

So, how do you think that "society" can do to remedy this situation?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kill people who need ongoing treatment. Keeps the costs down.

I mean, we could always try investing more into developing cures instead of fighting stupid wars?
  • Options
    i have always said a day will come when the NHS will have to refuse treatment for those at fault for their condition.........it's harsh but why should i pay for a smoker or obese person to get treated? it's not like people arent aware of the consequences, if they can't be arsed to look after their body neither can i.........i say make them pay........or watch the NHS crumble as the obesity epidemic grows. i don't mean to offend fat people btw, but i'm sure you can see my point........hell i used to be fat, maybe i was ignorant and for those whose parents feed them shit i am appalled, but these people should be educated, i saw the road i was taking and i said nah fuck that.....
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I mean, we could always try investing more into developing cures instead of fighting stupid wars?

To be honest, and it really breaks my heart to admit this, then I don't think that anyone apart from the sufferers are eager to find a cure. The medicinal companys are making billions and the state is benefitting on this.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    To be honest, and it really breaks my heart to admit this, then I don't think that anyone apart from the sufferers are eager to find a cure. The medicinal companys are making billions and the state is benefitting on this.

I seem to forget this so much... it is a cruel circle we seem to be stuck in here.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    i have always said a day will come when the NHS will have to refuse treatment for those at fault for their condition.........it's harsh but why should i pay for a smoker or obese person to get treated? it's not like people arent aware of the consequences, if they can't be arsed to look after their body neither can i.........i say make them pay........or watch the NHS crumble as the obesity epidemic grows. i don't mean to offend fat people btw, but i'm sure you can see my point........hell i used to be fat, maybe i was ignorant and for those whose parents feed them shit i am appalled, but these people should be educated, i saw the road i was taking and i said nah fuck that.....

So where do you draw the line? Cyclists? People who drive a bit fast? People who don't eat their 5 portions of fruit and veg a day?
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:

How will you decide whether a person got Diabetes due to obesity or not?
  • Options
    My mothers just been diagnosed with diabetes. :(
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So where do you draw the line? Cyclists? People who drive a bit fast? People who don't eat their 5 portions of fruit and veg a day?

There's no clear boundary I agree, although smoking and obesity related illnesses are a clear examples of a conscious lifestyle choice, and develop over a long period of time, you know what the consequences are.........if you cycle in a city (and i do) you are not really at fault for getting hit, driving fast is a tricky one, again i think that you are not consciously aware that you're putting yourself at risk, you might be rushing to work or the hospital........if recklessness can be proved that's different, i do think drunk drivers in accidents should foot the bill for being so bloody stupid.......as for 5 fruit and veg a day, :lol: i hadn't thought about it quite that deep.......i don't think you can draw a clear causal effect though...........my big gripe is with smoking, and second to that obesity, i'll be honest i hadn't thought about it much further........
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    How will you decide whether a person got Diabetes due to obesity or not?

i think doctors could make a pretty good analysis, if you're obese you are at risk of a whole bunch of diseases..........let me make it clear, i don't think fat people should be rejected treatment straight off, i think they should be educated and given a course of action to take, which if they do not follow and continue to be unhealthy, medication/treatment should not be freely offered.........same with smokers.......i know they are addictions and we are human, but i have been fat and a smoker and i knew exactly what i was doing to my body.....
  • Options
    Its a ridiculous idea, for the reasons stated.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    my big gripe is with smoking, and second to that obesity, i'll be honest i hadn't thought about it much further........

Smokers put far more into the NHS than they take out. I can't find the true figures offhand, but Forest say smokers put £7billion into the economy and only take £1.5billion out again- 89% of the cost of a packet of cigarettes is tax.

If smokers are paying so much for the NHS, surely they should get first dibs on it?

Should skiers get treatment if they crash? It's an obviously dangerous sport. What about athletes who pull muscles or break legs, should they? They're choosing to put themselves at risk of injury, especially vaulters and rugby players.

Either we have treatment for all or treatment for none.
  • Options
    The question that should be addressed in reality is why don't we want to pay for it?

Honestly, are the people of britain really so stupid that they want the best health-care, education, defence and social support, but don't want to pay for it?
  • Options
    Pancreatic islet stem cells, transplantation and transdifferentiation of other cells, probably liver.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:
    Pancreatic islet stem cells, transplantation and transdifferentiation of other cells, probably liver.

Aye but what can your average person do about it in the meantime?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Aye but what can your average person do about it in the meantime?

Get the treatment they need on the NHS. I'm saddened cost has to even come into it tbh considering Diabetes is a potential killer that massive numbers of people carry about without realising it, of all shapes and colours.

If I had to give a list of that that maybe you should pay for they would be minor non-life threatening preventable/self-attributed injuries (i.e. falling over pissed, coming off a bike without wearing a helmet at low speed, jackass stunts) but even then it would be a big maybe.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    i have always said a day will come when the NHS will have to refuse treatment for those at fault for their condition.........it's harsh but why should i pay for a smoker or obese person to get treated? it's not like people arent aware of the consequences, if they can't be arsed to look after their body neither can i.........

I love it when people say things like this becuase it always opens up a can of worms.

Everything we do in life carries a risk or injury. When we decide to walk or drive, cycle or take the bus we open ourselves up to risk of injury. Yet no-one ever suggests that cyclist/drivers shouldn't get treated if they get hurt.

However, it's only smoking which carries a huge tax bill - one which more than pays for their NHS treatment. And yet this is the one which people object to.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    The question that should be addressed in reality is why don't we want to pay for it?

Because we couldn't afford it. Problem is that we have to "ration" care because otherwise the tax burden would be huge.

What needs to be addressed is public expectations and we should review what the NHS should really be there to do.

Funnily enough, that's me advocating the kind of discussion which apollo had started...

We should have an excellent service in some areas but should refuse to treat in others. The difficulty is where do you draw the line, morally that is...
  • Options
    If we are to provide services for the general public to use then there should be an expectation of some level of behaviour back, its a contract.

If the government provided no healthcare then people could rightly be angry if the government told them to be healthy. But it has to pay for that ill health so it is the business of the government what you put into your body.

The NHS has to change I think to become far more preventative rather than just reactive. There are lots of things we pay for now that could be prevented for less cost.
  • Options
    Ahhh, yes, the "social contract". Utter nonsense. And no, its not the governments money, its our money.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Ahhh, yes, the "social contract". Utter nonsense. And no, its not the governments money, its our money.

All the more reason to expect something decent for it then.
  • Options
    Yes we should expect something decent. However, dictating to people what they can and can't eat is not the way to do it.
  • Options
    People who eat out a lot, drink and smoke contribute far more to the NHS than those who eat in, don't drink and don't smoke.

Why should those who pay for it get shunted out for those who don't?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes we should expect something decent. However, dictating to people what they can and can't eat is not the way to do it.

I wasnt really advocating dictating, but encouraging would be a good start and helping those at the bottom get access to fresh fruit, veg and the ability to do something with it.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I wasnt really advocating dictating, but encouraging would be a good start and helping those at the bottom get access to fresh fruit, veg and the ability to do something with it.

Yes, thats more like it. Unfortunatly theres more money to be made in selling people processed crap so its unlikely to happen.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes, thats more like it. Unfortunatly theres more money to be made in selling people processed crap so its unlikely to happen.

There are Sure Start nurseries in some area's surely that kind of thing could be extended to Sure Cooking Centre's or something.
  • Options
    Yes, Sure Start's been a great success hasn't it?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Well maybe not totally along the model of Sure Start which is quite crap, but even though it is crap it does show that the government could do it.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

It's the right idea though.

Of course, new Labour didn't bother to fund it, and just did it for the headlines, but that's an entirely different argument.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Only if you are a taxpayer.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    If we are to provide services for the general public to use then there should be an expectation of some level of behaviour back, its a contract.

To a certain extent I would agree, things like turning up for appointments. Not wasting NHS time...
    The NHS has to change I think to become far more preventative rather than just reactive. There are lots of things we pay for now that could be prevented for less cost.

Indeed. The problem is that we are talking about long term solutions there. Investing today in services which won't prove beneficial for another ten/twenty years at least.

In the meantime you will also have to pay for the existing needs, so in effect you have huge costs now with only a promise of lower costs later. It's not a guarantee that costs will reduce either...