Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

eating comments

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well i was going to put this in health but since i don't actually have a question about my health i thought it would be more suited to this area.

I was a bridesmaid at a friends wedding on sat and got into a rather heated arguement with my best friends mum and she was really quite rude and abusive towards me and i had to go off and sit on my own for a bit as she upset me quite badly (mainly because of the drink i think).

Basically she started making ally mcbeal comments in the toilets to me and i asked her to explain what she meant. She explained that ally mcbeal is all bone and so am i. I got quite mad to be honest and told her that i was fed up of her insinuating that i had an eating problem and that she was being quite rude and offensive by making comments. She then got really abusive and started shouting out about how i've got an eating disorder and i've got real mental problems etc. and i tried calmly to tell her that no i hadnt and that i've been a size 8 since i was 16. To which she started swearing etc and i just lost my rag, told her to f*** off and get a grip and walked off.
Later on she turned round to my boss and told her that i deserved a smack and if i said anything to her she was going to "batter me" <-- grown up lady this one. My boss asked her why and she said "well she's got an eating disorder, look at her". My boss knows full well i eat properly and told her so. So she does no more than turns round and says "oh it's not anorexia it's bulimia, she throws up all the time, i know everything there is to know about anyone" :confused:

So i asked my friend to have a word and she does no more than says oh she's always on about it at home, i happen to think she has a point!

I shouldn't really be surprised or still wound up but for the last couple of months i've had comments off mates about my weight basically along the lines of get a good meal down your neck, oh you're lost too much weight etc. and i'm just fed up and i just want them to stop now. I have never been a big boned person and have always been about 8 - 8 1/2 stone since 16. I am thin yes, but it's muscle and not bone as i do a lot of sport and training as i enjoy being fit. I don't really eat fried / takeaway food as i have ibs so it really makes me ill but people see this as a problem???

So basically after my rather large rant above i suppose what i am asking is how the hell do you cope with this. It's just starting to grind me down now as it's quite embarrassing when others start to hear the comments and then tut and look at me as if i'm ill or something. :no: What gets me is this woman's daughter (my best mate) always goes on about how she used to have bulimia etc. so it really does take the piss to be honest.

*breathe* sorry :blush:

Comments

• Options
    If you've tried being mature and talking to her and her daughter, and she has still kept going on about it, then there isn't much else you can do. Some people are just jerks. Let her have her moronic rants, don't give any reaction, no doubt she will get bored. Or if she doesn't, at least you're the bigger person.

I'd be more upset that your friend didn't back you up, to be quite honest.
  • Options
    She`d rather think that anyone whos slim has an eating disorder because it then makes her feel better that she cant stay slim that easily.
    I think its probably a touch of the green eyed monster.
  • Options
    She`d rather think that anyone whos slim has an eating disorder because it then makes her feel better that she cant stay slim that easily.

I totally agree with this.

You shouldn't be forced to change your eating habits or anything due to these hurtful comments. The best option is to just ignore the silly woman. You can't help the fact that you are skinnier than she is. Or that you are naturally slim. Maybe she just finds it hard to believe. She should apologise to you for making you feel so upset. What does her daughter (your friend) have to say on the matter? Has she actually said she thinks the same as her mother? Just ignore them.
  • Options
    this kind of thing really gets my goat.

it probably is nothing more than a spot of jealousy, but there are quite a few people around who think that all the world's ills come down to you being a couple of stone lighter than them. and i think it's horrific to accuse you of having a disease just because you are slim.

it's one thing to have your granny's misguided but well-meaning 'there's nothing to you/have to run around in the shower to get wet/ might lose you down the drain' but this woman seems to have got really vicious with you.

did you mean your mate used to have bulimia, or her mum did. if it was her mum, then it kind of makes sense. eating disordered people tend to be fiercely competitive about their weight, so she is just angry that you are 'winning'.

i'd be having words with your mate though, big style. she agrees with her mum attacking you because of your natural body shape? nice.
  • Options
    I'm not going to slate my friend as she was rather drunk on the night and wasn't with it enough to understand fully and by the next day her mum had recreated a different version of events so i'm not going to pit my mate against her own mum but i am going to ask her outright what shes been saying about my weight. She was the one who was bulimic and not her mum. I think as Kaffrin says the daughter gets very "i was iller than anyone" about her eating disorder but sometimes she uses it as an attention seeking method instead of seeing it for the illness it is. I suppose i don't like to think that anyone is jealous as i don't like to think bad of people and it seems rather vain for me to say someone is jealous. But maybe you're right as her mum used to be really thin herself and was one of the old good time girls in her hey day. I just find the violence and stuff a bit hard to swallow since i've done nothing wrong.
  • Options
    She sounds like a right psycho, as if you threaten to smack your children's friends!

When I started reading the post I thought "Uh oh, arguing with your friend's mum, not good" but sounds like she was being a twat and deserved what she got.

As she's created a new version of events is your relationship OK with your mate?

She probably commented constantly about your mate's weight and made her feel like a fat girl, triggering her eating disorder. However that is just speculation.

Just stay outta her way.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    eating disordered people tend to be fiercely competitive about their weight, so she is just angry that you are 'winning'.
    what kaffrin says is very true. and its probably just jelousy talking. but i'd say let it go for what its worth... and stay out of her way in future... because its not worth being around her if every comment she makes just gets you feeling depressed and angry.
  • Options
    What exactly has YOUR weight got to do with your friends' mum?
  • Options
    Carolina wrote:
    She was the one who was bulimic and not her mum.

ok, so if we give her the benefit of the doubt and say she's not a total nob, is it possible she was upset about her daughter's eating problems, and (in a somewhat fucked up way) is trying to stop you going down the same path?
  • Options
    I think she's just being spiteful to be honest as she's a very bitter woman.

She's ignoring me now anyway so it's all worked out quite well ;) The incident is now filed in "past history" but i'll just be avoiding her from now on at parties as i'm not the sort to try to dredge up a problem.
  • Options
    It's also really naive. I have an eating disorder and I'm not thin.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    It's also really naive. I have an eating disorder and I'm not thin.
    there are many different types of eating disorder though. :yes: