Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Reclaim Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have got my p60 or whatever it is from work which allows me to claim my tax back. Does anybody know where i am meant to take it in order to claim it back.

Comments

• Options
    Phone the Inland Revenue and have all your details to hand.

I did it last year, but it takes a while to come through.
  • Options
    i was hoping that there might just be a goverment type building i could take it too
  • Options
    like your local tax office?
  • Options
    In my experience of dealing with the tax people in the past their preferred way of giving you money back is via your tax code. Meaning they might just instruct your employer to alter your code to a higher allowance one until you've not paid the amount of tax your owed back by her maj... :banghead:

But if you can get a cheque or something out of them fair play..
  • Options
    film_buff wrote:
    I have got my p60 or whatever it is from work which allows me to claim my tax back. Does anybody know where i am meant to take it in order to claim it back.

Just send it in to your local tax office with a covering letter asking them to check your record for any possible overpayment.

Does that P60 represent the only job you had in that tax year? If it doesn't you will also need to send in any P45's you hold for the 2004/2005 year. Gis a PM if you need any more help.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    On the note of reclaiming tax, how do I write a pissy letter saying I shouldn't be taxed as much because I have to dry clean my work uniform and buy 60000 pairs of stockings each month

Hiya, just write a letter including your national insurance number and who you work for, and they can put an allowance in your tax code to account for the cost of tights and dry cleaning. Your trade union will probably have agreed a fixed rate with the Inland Revenue.

I know the usual amount for nurses (I know ur not a nurse) is £18 @ 22% for shoes & tights (equates to £3.96 a year LOL) and £45 @ 22% for cleaning their uniforms (£9.90 a year). Not huge amounts eh!!
  • Options
    film_buff wrote:
    i was hoping that there might just be a goverment type building i could take it too

Yeah, you can visit in person. Just go to the HMRC site, go to the "contact us" section, and choose "in person" - that will give you the details of your local enquiry centre.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help, hopefully i can go and get it sorted now