Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

dreams vs. reality

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so there are some of us in the world who are known as dreamers. We like to believe in love and romance, adventure and inspirational moments. It doesnt mean we dont appreciate the stability of an everyday life, it just in most cases means we've watched too many films and would quite like to leave everything to fly half way across the world one day just to turn up on someone's doorstep with whom we've had a brief 'moment' with once, and yet it still turn out that they're 'the one'.
We like the idea of getting up one morning and admitting that we want something more, and going to get it, even if it means spending every penny we have on a flight that leaves the same day to somewhere we've never been before, with no plans, no security, no restrictions.
But is it right? Its not meant to be logical because that's the point of being a 'dreamer' - the fact is it's all illogical, but its adventure and who knows what will come of it, good or bad.

But is it a realistic dream? Or are we way too eager to brush these feelings off as just that - 'dreams'.

What would be the pinnacle moment that would force you to make that decision? And would you make it, or would you just carry on in your stable little life with your job and your family and your studies as they are. Or would you 'carpe diem' and think 'fuck it - films come from somewhere - why cant I go for it, even if it isn't the fairytale ending they portray it to be'?

Is it better to live the dream, out in the world with nothing to hold you back, or better to live a life where you cant always have the adventures you want, yet you have the stability of family and money?

Comments

• Options
    In the short term living a dream would be nice. In the long term I think pretty much everyone needs some kind of stability. At least I know I want it.
  • Options
    family and security is my choice.
  • Options
    ok then, talking in the short term then - is it worth it?

running away for 3 months or so, just for the buzz, leaving everything behind and not thinking about it for 3 months, doing absolutely everything you always wanted to, just to get it out your system. or is it better to stick with what you know, and stay safe?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It is better than anything, to be happy.

Seek happiness with, or in spite of, family and money. Some of the hapiest people in the world are poor. Alot of rich people are depressed.

So, in my opinion, neither matters. If you are happy as a dreamer, ok, if you are happy in reality, ok.
  • Options
    As much as I like being spontaneous I'm quite the realist. I'm taking the time to build my life as I like it, there's absolutely nothing to gain by leaving it behind.
  • Options
    Family and security are my dreams.
  • Options
    I'm a dreamer all the way - I want a life of adventure and suprises not 9 to 5 and a 3 year relationship!

Fuck stability ... i like not knowing whats coming round the corner!
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    I'm a dreamer all the way - I want a life of adventure and suprises not 9 to 5 and a 3 year relationship!

Fuck stability ... i like not knowing whats coming round the corner!

You don't have a girlfriend at the moment do you?
  • Options
    I guess I just want the opportunity to experience I different youth culture somewhere else in the world. I love my life dont get me wrong, and the position I am in relationship and family-wise means I cant just run away which is fine by me if Im honest, but I do want that oppotunity, even if it's just for a couple of months, to just be free and go where I want to and 'live it up'. Is it fair for me to say that I want to run away for 2 months? Or should I stick with the norm and just always wish I'd have done it?
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    You don't have a girlfriend at the moment do you?

No ... what has that to do with anything :confused:
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    No ... what has that to do with anything :confused:

I'm just working on the theory that the people who would leave their current life for something else are those with very little to lose.

Also, you said you're not up for commitment in relationships. Women don't like that.
  • Options
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    I'm just working on the theory that the people who would leave their current life for something else are those with very little to lose.

Also, you said you're not up for commitment in relationships. Women don't like that.

Wow ... I've never heard my life and dreams put in such sad terms!
  • Options
    badabing wrote:
    I guess I just want the opportunity to experience I different youth culture somewhere else in the world. I love my life dont get me wrong, and the position I am in relationship and family-wise means I cant just run away which is fine by me if Im honest, but I do want that oppotunity, even if it's just for a couple of months, to just be free and go where I want to and 'live it up'. Is it fair for me to say that I want to run away for 2 months? Or should I stick with the norm and just always wish I'd have done it?
    youre so young though Kat, im not surprised youve got itchy feet after having family life thrust upon you when you were still practically a child yourself, its completely understandable.
    At the moment, im coming from the standpoint of having spent 9 years of my life building up a family and a home and thinking that was forever, and now my partner deciding there is better things out there and considering fucking off and leaving me. Its killing me inside. Id do anything to keep it together, but if he takes much longer to decide then im not sure if I can be bothered to wait.
    Its one thing upping and leaving, but it almost surely wont all be there waiting for you when you get back.
  • Options
    Women who want stability in relationships don't like that. Women who want an easy-come-easy-go type of relationship would probably appreciate that kind of quality in a bloke.

I'm 21. I don't meet the easy women.
  • Options
    Everybody wants some sort of stability to their lives, but i'm a reckless cunt, i'm the type of person who'd be willing to chase a hopeless dream and laugh when I fail...life is about taking stupid chances...it's true!
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    I'm 21. I don't meet the easy women.

Well you're still young ... give it a couple of years yet

In fairness its all down to perspective I suppose - you think of me as having nothing to lose/not understanding true love or whatever ... I think you're looking for happiness in someone else/are smitten/content with what you're given.

And at the end of the day it doesn't really matter does it? If you're happy then you're happy!

As far as I'm concerned there's a big world out there and I want to see and do it all ... I can settle down and have stability later in life
  • Options
    Dreams and reality eh..
    I mean, every now and again, I become curious as to what it would be like to chase my dreams, so in accordance, I chase them :)
    Whether it be dreams of relationships or adventures!

But then you've got a different type of dreams and reality, which I like to call Deja Vu
    Now I hate deja vu with a passion, only yesterday morning did I experience Deja vu! Me and my mates had gone camping for the weekend, a few spliffs, some drinks and a few laughs as we like to :) Then it came to Monday morning, we were contemplating walking back, and it hit me, I looked around the surroundings ( which I had never really done ) looked at the people I was with, their positions, and then one of my mates said something like " it would take us about 20 minutes to get out of this field " WOW, everything had clicked from a dream i'd literally had a few weeks ago ( Only remembered minimal details from my dream )
    Now is this just a co-incidence? or is it chasing dreams so that they have become reality without really realising it?
    Whatever it is, Dreams can become reality!
  • Options
    I personally think romantic love in an egoistic fantasy, a form of escapism and I am more of a believer in compatibility, pheromones and attachments (normally unhealthy ones, or obsessions) rather than romantic love being something amazing and magical. However, as always I'm open minded and maybe one day I will "fall in love".

As for "adventure", isn't that what you make it? You dont have to be bouncing off sand dunes in the Sahara in a jeep, or hacking your way through the jungle to be living it wild. If you want an adrenaline rush, what the hell is stopping you from sphereing, or cliff diving? Or mountaineering? You can do a lot without leaving your country, or dropping everything.
  • Options
    I guess the ultimate is to mix them. Not always possible though. Sometimes i think id just like to disappear off to some far away place for a long time. Maybe i will one day. I guess you should do what you want whilst you can.