Home Drink & Drugs

Is being smart a handicap?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is something thats bothered me for a while. I'm not as clever as some people I meet on the net, but I'm intelligent enough to know when something makes sense or not based on common sense and scientifict fact. I'm also drunk which may make this thread somewhat ironic due to misspellings etc, so bare with me.

After a long period of no work and lots of drug taking (which has been my decision, as I feel I can return to 'normality' and do the job I choose to do well when I need to), I'm faced with an alternative reality than the one we call 'normal'. I'm questioning everything I see, from the government to my own view on the world and life as we normally perceive it. The way I see it, I'm not messed up from a common sense point of view, but if I told most anti drug, clean living people the things that go through my head right now, they'd probably think I'm mad.

2 weeks ago I told my dad the real reasons for me not getting a job... that I feel like we're raised to be ready for the conveyorbelt that is life, working for nothing more than to pay our bills the majority of our lives just because thats what we call 'normal' in life as we know it today. Other personal things I've been keeping to myself too, the truth I'd like to think, which isn't what most people want to hear. I know the truth can be depressing, we'd prefer to delude ourselves with happy, perfect thoughts to get though life.

I know nobody wants to be around negativity, and my dad is getting old and gets through life in his own way. I cant help feeling that if I was less intelligent I'd be less of a burden to those close to me. I'd accept things the way they're presented to us, truth or lie. Sometimes I wish I was too stupid to understand life the way I do now.

Does anyone understand this? Ignorance is better than knowing the truth, almost like being offered the red or blue pill in The Matrix. Tell me your thoughts if you do.
«1

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sounds like part of growing up to me ...i'm still dealing with it.
    the truth shall set you free.

    there is miuch truth in your doubts.

    for the next fifty years your going to work and pay work and pay.
    succeed fail laugh and cry ...but your going to work and pay and work and pay.

    this is our lot in life.

    if along the way you can find some inner contentment and even better ...love and be loved ...you'll have achieved the maximum this life has to offer.

    love and be loved ...find that inner contentment and the rest ...is piss easy.

    lifes full of trouble
    worry pain and struggle.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its just so damn hard being clever! :crying:
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I am hardly as smart as the majority of folks I know on the net... But I know how you feel.

    Being smart is good in one way, you can see more of the world, what it really is. But it also is a bad thing, for that very same reason.

    Ignorance is Bliss, but I would rather be intelligent and unhappy. Who the hell was it who said something like that, or words to that effect? Damn my memory.

    But yes. It would be nice to just "fit in" and get on with life. But hell, if I were to be so, I would have to have to do so from the start. I could never do it now... I know to much. I wouldn't surrender my knowledge for anything! Knowledge is power my friend, remember that. You have an advantage over those who fit in adn get along. Do not be afraid to be proud of this... have intellectual debates. Talk of matters they would never comprehend... You can see what the world really is. Wouldn't you rather be this way than ignorant and fitting in? Think of all you would not know!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    knowledge is a fine thing but counts for little if it isn't tinged with a degree of experience and wisdom.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, I know some things are best kept in your own mind, because they're not answers to lifes questions, just more questions and arguments that nobody needs to hear. The problem is they're so important they need to be said, even if you know there is no answer, it's just the way things are.

    Seriously, ignorance is Bliss...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Vray wrote:
    Seriously, ignorance is Bliss...
    being the village idiot is not a good carear move though ...but then ...?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    being the village idiot is not a good carear move though ...but then ...?

    From a monetary perspective no, but I have friends who make me think all round I'd be better off. I've been offfered jobs with good wages since being unemployed, and I've turned them all down because money means nothing.

    I can understand someone with no money and living on the street reading this and thinking I dont know what I'm talking about, but I seriously mean it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Vray wrote:
    From a monetary perspective no, but I have friends who make me think all round I'd be better off. I've been offfered jobs with good wages since being unemployed, and I've turned them all down because money means nothing.

    I can understand someone with no money and living on the street reading this and thinking I dont know what I'm talking about, but I seriously mean it.
    am i right in pressuming you don't actualy pay for very much
    like lighting heating clothes food etc etc etc ...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    am i right in pressuming you don't actualy pay for very much
    like lighting heating clothes food etc etc etc ...
    ...and you don't have to support others in any way?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've always worked for what I have. I split with my girlfriend 2 years ago, I hade enough money from the house I sold when we split to keep me going until now. I've had a job since then that didnt pay well but kep me going that I gave up, because it showed me how low I'd sunk and made me feel pointeless.

    Basically I used to work in the IT industry making too much money, my recent job was minimum wage which didn't bother me at all, I just realised how hard I worked my life away without getting anything in return.

    I'd prefer to be doing hard graft for my money when I go back to work than working in the city for high wages, because I've realised what matters more... Feeling like you've achieved something
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ...and you don't have to support others in any way?

    I have a 9 year old daughter, she keeps me going.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if you can be a sucsessful crook it's easier f.or sure.

    i've recently sold out.
    the rebel final ysuxcumbs.

    i'm involved and respectable!

    i'm enjoying making legal money as well ...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Since google turned up 0 results for 'ysuxcumbs', I'm stumped for an answer!

    Evidence that google isn't the answer to all lifes problems... none the less, I didn't want to turn this into a personal thing, just intelligence and drugs in general :)
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    Succumbs? I think? That is obviously spelt wrong, but it sounds right.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    being smart in your own eyes can of course be a handicap/
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The alternative explenation, that I am in fact a dumbass, is interesting indeed. Unfortunately I trust my own insticts too well for that. Please help me to understand my own stupidity.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Vray wrote:
    The alternative explenation, that I am in fact a dumbass, is interesting indeed. Unfortunately I trust my own insticts too well for that. Please help me to understand my own stupidity.
    i hope i have in no way implied your a dumbass ...as for helping you understand your own stupidity i'll get back to you when and if i ever deal with my own in any significant manner.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Excellent, everything is going as I have foreseen.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They say mad people are often the smartest of people. It's true, I've learned so much about my own life and life in general on drugs that I feel out of touch with "reality" Though I've become used to it and it's generally a benefit imo.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    I for one am quite happy to admit, that it would seem mad people know alot we don't!

    After all, are not the greatest minds of all time those of very eccentric and often quite odd people? But because they acheived something, they are not called mad! Ah, one of lifes cruel ironies for us so called "ordinary" folk?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The 'what the fuck did I do last night' feeling the morning after drink is horrible :eek:

    I'm impressed I could still type after half a litre of vodka though...I still feel drunk.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    btw morrocan I know you wasn't calling me a dumbass, I dont know what I was talking about on this page. I wrote some personal stuff here which I wish I hadn't, but oh well, alcohol is powerful stuff.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I totally understand what you mean, you feel sort of "detatched" from reality and/or normality. You look at so called normal people, going about their daily business telling themselves they're happy, they think they're smart. But when in actual fact they are only using things such as well paid jobs and a nice house to mask what they are really feeling. I know it's wrong to stereotype but I bet so many of these people are actually very naive and opinionated, believing everything the government has told them. Materialistic you might say.

    It is a very black and white and easy way to live. Rather than feel what your feeling. I find it hard to put this into words and it probably sounds like I'm talking total shite but have you noticed that people who have been through a lot in their life, or people with lots of drug experience etc all are similar in the way that they no longer really have the need for materialistic things and appreciate the smaller things in life.

    Since I had my really intense episode after taking far too many drugs over a substantial period of time I have never been the same since, at first I obsessively analysed my own thoughts- because I wasn't used to having most of these strange thoughts. But I know things I would never have known before and it's as if you can only know this yourself you can't tell anyone this but theres nothing better than talking to someone who knows it too. I feel a much better for experiencing this slightly psychotic/depressed/anxious episode. I think it's kind of normal to feel a bit like that it some point but but some things like bereavement, drugs etc really exaggerate it. If I was to go to a psychiatrist I reckon I would probably be considered mentally ill, but if truth be known I'm a better person for it I have a much deeper understanding for people and stuff and I can empathise so much more with people and kinda connect on a different level. I wouldn't change anything. It's as if now I see life for what it really is, and before I was living this two- dimensional existence.

    I'm sure there's people on here who understand what I mean and to those who don't maybe you will one day.

    Hope this hasn't scared anybody :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The genuine intelligence comes from learning it not by your mistakes, but before them. The old are considered smarter because they have gone through this and that. And now they know what is right. The most people here on this forum are drug users and i say to you that it is better learning before you start inhaling that shit than afterwards. Because you will understand afterwards... that i can say with the confidence required.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    TOMO wrote:
    Since I had my really intense episode after taking far too many drugs over a substantial period of time I have never been the same since, at first I obsessively analysed my own thoughts- because I wasn't used to having most of these strange thoughts. But I know things I would never have known before and it's as if you can only know this yourself you can't tell anyone this but theres nothing better than talking to someone who knows it too. I feel a much better for experiencing this slightly psychotic/depressed/anxious episode.

    Thats exactly how I was feeling a while ago, it was a low point in my life. I couldn't deny the truth in the thoughts I was having and it made me quite depressed, but I'm through that and gained alot from it.

    I know it sounds cliche, but the main reason I took this time off work was to find myself...and I've learned more about the person I am than I had in my whole life before it. Drugs take it to another level, without them it wouldn't be such a rollercoaster but I wouldn't have gained so much. People might call what I've done being lazy, but knowing yourself and accepting who you are is important and I needed to do it. I'll regret the money I've lost but as you said, I no longer have such an attachment to material things.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yep, you learn a lot about yourself and come to accept your strengths and weaknesses. It's as if you see things for what they really are, rather than seeing them just from your point of view or seeing only what you choose to see.

    I reckon with a bit more time Vray you'll be right back on track and you'll become comfortable with your life (I don't mean that as in I'm making presumptions, I just mean it as you will become more at peace with things).

    It's all about being able to accept things, helping you gain knowledge and moving on.

    Good luck maaan! :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok, now I smoke a hell of alot of weed, on a fairly regular basis, and yes I do question silly things, the normal questions of " Whats my purpose " etc
    But then yes, I find a lot more to question after i've got a bit of dope in me, everything that spins past on the tv, i'll question.
    Life has a deep and meaningful secret, which everyone strives to find.

    I think what you like to call " Normal People " do is choose NOT too question life and day to day complications as it will only bring hassle to them and manipulate there " easier going " lives

    The world is here to be questioned, and to be discussed, so discuss it tbh....

    P.s Shit..I really should lay off the weed tonight...that made no sense
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The classic ideal of being like Homer from the Simpsons, simple reactions and simple highs and lows. Except unless you have a serious mental handicap its not like that, even the 'simple people' have emotions they cant deal with they cant understand because they are too complex.

    Certainly intelligent people are more likely to get depressed but I wouldnt always say that is a curse.

    Yes most people work in a job they dont love, but then we do lots of things we dont love. That doesnt mean you have to do a job which you hate every day and being intelligent gives you more choice.

    And yes life would be lovely if we could all just lay about in the sun and be nice to each other. But thats not going to happen.

    The modern world is full of complexities, but its no more complex than before because what makes it complex is human relationships and they havent really changed.
  • JadedJaded back for more Posts: 2,682
    I am a bit concerned by the idea that taking drugs gives you a 'better' perception than the norm, it can merely be a different perception of reality.
    And fundamentally, I think however you decide to be, it all comes down to choice. It is better to make a decision about whether you want to take part in society (to a certain extent at least) or exist in a counter-culture way, but IMO the worst thing you can do is to just feel too disempowered to want anything.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    LadyJade wrote:
    I am a bit concerned by the idea that taking drugs gives you a 'better' perception than the norm, it can merely be a different perception of reality.

    Or it can just be silly rubbish, I remember a woman I know wanting to take acid to enlighten herself, and large chunk of the trip she just closed her eyes and saw lots of types of bread flying towards her. Not exactly life changing stuff.
Sign In or Register to comment.