Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Whats your opinion of Online dating?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think that online dating is for desperate people? Or just a bit of fun? Just wondering, because I have tried it, and my friends are taking the piss out of me calling me "desperate" and "sad". What do u think?

Comments

• Options
    depends, if u feel there is no one near your area then i can understand it, personally I wouldnt. I wouldnt be able to trust them.
  • Options
    my 2 best friends first met online and they're very much in love and happy together and have been for several months. I also met my first bf from online, but didn't get together till after we'd met...same for them.
  • Options
    If I was straight I probably wouldn't but as there's less gay people it's something that I've thought about....

I'd be more cautious with it, but I think any method of bringing people together is a good thing. It doesn't really matter how you meet.

Online dating is now much less looked down on as it used to be, and more and more people are becoming open to the idea. Sites such as match.com amongst others are reporting booming business.
  • Options
    i imagine, in 20 years time, it will become the norm.

i don't really see it as any different from meeting someone face to face.
  • Options
    If they're a psycho chain saw murderer, then I'd rather talk to them online than face to face!

What I mean is when people say "they could be anybody" and lie about their identity... well they could do that to your face. If they were going to murder you then they would.

However I'd recommend caution and chat to them a lot before you meet in a public environment.
  • Options
    Do you think that online dating is for desperate people? Or just a bit of fun? Just wondering, because I have tried it, and my friends are taking the piss out of me calling me "desperate" and "sad". What do u think?

It doesn't matter how you that special meet someone, in the pub, on the bus, at school, your next door neighbour, or if you meet someone in a chatroom or online dating agency.

Some people find it hard to start up a conversation with a guy/girl in the pub, if it's easier to get to know someone online whats wrong with that.

If your friends take the piss out of you, are they real friends ?.

Do whatever feels comfortable to you, don't be shoehorned into doing things just because it's what your friends do, good luck.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Nothing wrong with it. Gives you mroe options.

Also, you can buy a wife at some sites now. I want a BOGOF day.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Nothing wrong with it. Gives you mroe options.

Also, you can buy a wife at some sites now. I want a BOGOF day.

Double the nagging, double the shopping trips, double the moods, your welcolm mate.
  • Options
  • Options
    Boozy wrote:
    Double the nagging, double the shopping trips, double the moods, your welcolm mate.

Damn, that is a point. Although I could always sell the other one on Ebay... :yes:
  • Options
    One good thing about chatting online, is that you don't get distracted by the persons looks or the way they talk, you can get to know the real person, too many people have preconceived ideas of what a partner should be like. You could meet a girl/guy who lives in the next street who you never knew excisted, it's a great way to get to know people.
  • Options
    Boozy wrote:
    One good thing about chatting online, is that you don't get distracted by the persons looks or the way they talk, you can get to know the real person, too many people have preconceived ideas of what a partner should be like. You could meet a girl/guy who lives in the next street who you never knew excisted, it's a great way to get to know people.

Very true.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Damn, that is a point. Although I could always sell the other one on Ebay... :yes:

I'll have to have another look at their terms and conditions, I wonder how much I could get for mine :chin:
  • Options
    Boozy wrote:

That is a very good, true point. However part of me thinks that, in the event that the two people involved ever did meet up there is the chance that you may not be what they expected, because lets face it people will have expectations most of the time, which leads to disappointment and may well ruin the occasion.

It's certainly something that bothered me when i wanted to meet someone i'd been chatting with for over 2 years, i was bothered that although they got to know the real me over the net, the realme in person may not be what they expected in their mind. I hope im making some kind of sense here :/
  • Options
    Richeh wrote:
    That is a very good, true point. However part of me thinks that, in the event that the two people involved ever did meet up there is the chance that you may not be what they expected, because lets face it people will have expectations most of the time, which leads to disappointment and may well ruin the occasion.

It's certainly something that bothered me when i wanted to meet someone i'd been chatting with for over 2 years, i was bothered that although they got to know the real me over the net, the realme in person may not be what they expected in their mind. I hope im making some kind of sense here :/

Agree Richeh, but the guy/girl you meet at a club, might not be the same person who you wake up with next morning.

Yes I guess we do build up a picture of the person we are chatting to and that picture isn't always a true representation, but often we have a far longer period of time to get to know someone online, also getting to know someone without the usual triggers you get from face to face, might mean that you get to know someone who you would think of as being not for you.

Everyway of meeting people has its advantages and its disadvantages, be open minded and with things like netmeeting and messenger you can see and hear each other.
  • Options
    Boozy wrote:
    Agree Richeh, but the guy/girl you meet at a club, might not be the same person who you wake up with next morning.

Yes I guess we do build up a picture of the person we are chatting to and that picture isn't always a true representation, but often we have a far longer period of time to get to know someone online, also getting to know someone without the usual triggers you get from face to face, might mean that you get to know someone who you would think of as being not for you.

Everyway of meeting people has its advantages and its disadvantages, be open minded and with things like netmeeting and messenger you can see and hear each other.

I wrote out a reply then read it back and it made no sense what-so-ever lol. Let's just say i agree with you're comment above, and i personally am open minded and take everything at face value, i think meeting someone online can be a great thing, and as you say as with everything it can have its downside.
  • Options
    Meeting folks online can be a bit dangerous, but as long as you are sensible you should be OK. As with real life. People can lie any time, any place.
  • Options
    This discussion has been done a few times but anyway

I don't think it's "sad" in the strickest term of the word, however, you need chemistry to have a good relationship and no matter how much you "connect" online or see photos online you need that chemistry in real life, you know the feleing you get when your heart jumps at the site of the person, it might work out or it might not, just dont get your hopes up thats all I say.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Meeting folks online can be a bit dangerous

not really. not any moe than going out into a club or pub or LIBRARY even and picking someone up there. in fact, less so, because:
    Alan wrote:
    If they're a psycho chain saw murderer, then I'd rather talk to them online than face to face!

:yes:

if someone's dangerous, it doesn't matter how you meet them, they're still dangerous. if someone lies, it doesn't matter how you meet them, they're still a liar. but they are going to find it a lot harder to kidnap and murder you over the internet.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    if someone's dangerous, it doesn't matter how you meet them, they're still dangerous. if someone lies, it doesn't matter how you meet them, they're still a liar. but they are going to find it a lot harder to kidnap and murder you over the internet.

Yep. And frankly a lot of the "horror stories" that you hear about people meeting folk from the internet are both

blown up out of proportion and

mostly down to people's stupidity.

For example, there was a news story a while back about a girl who had almost been attacked by someone she had "met on the internet".

However, as the story unfolded it turned out that yes, she did initially meet this person on the net, swapped photos etc, but then they arranged to meet for real and from a fair distance away she was able to observe that the guy looked nothing like his photos, and was a lot older than he had described, but she still got into his car.

Now, excuse me for being a bit contraversial here, but that's nothing to do with the internet, that's someone being stupid and naive.
  • Options
    Technically i met my ex online.I say technically because my friend started talking to him and then met him and i went with her. We hit it off really well and were together for nearly 2 years.Lived together for a bit and wanted to spend the rest of our lives together.Cept that didnt work out cos he was a knobber.Oh well...
    Anyway i reckon its alright as long as your safe about the whole thing.
  • Options
    I met my fella online and we have been together almost four years now, so it can work out.

good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    as for everyones excuses about the internet being a more dangerous place to meet people, think about this; how many stories are there on the news about rapes, murders, attacks etc? And how many of these are from internet meetings?
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    as for everyones excuses about the internet being a more dangerous place to meet people, think about this; how many stories are there on the news about rapes, murders, attacks etc? And how many of these are from internet meetings?

Any rape, indecent assullt, attack etc that has an internet link is a great news story, the popular press can go into overdrive about the evils of the net, then cover lots of newsprint or screen time with experts giving advice on how to keep yourself and kids safe from the "evil internet".

Someone getting attacked after a party, isn't as newsworthy as it happens all the time and doesn't give the media a chance to go on all out attack.
  • Options
    Boozy wrote:
    Any rape, indecent assullt, attack etc that has an internet link is a great news story, the popular press can go into overdrive about the evils of the net, then cover lots of newsprint or screen time with experts giving advice on how to keep yourself and kids safe from the "evil internet".

Someone getting attacked after a party, isn't as newsworthy as it happens all the time and doesn't give the media a chance to go on all out attack.

exactly, this is what im trying to say

theres far less news stories about internet danger than there is non internet danger

and thats got to say something
  • Options
    The thing about internet dating is that people are exaggerating about the dangers about meeting people after talking to them online. There is no danger actually if you are sensible and aware of what will/might happen. Doing this, you can maybe set out the meeting as said before in a library or an open park. It's not like the guy's going to rape you in a library or kill you in a public park ^lol^.
    Meeting people has been considered more dangerous than it actually is since children have done this. Plus, online dating services provide audio/video nowadays and of course you will see how the person looks by sending you a picture, but that is not reliable. The person could have just taken it and sent it.

webcams? :chin:
  • Options
    I don't believe that an online relationship is a real relationship at all because you're not being physically intimate. Sounds harsh I know, I've met people who believe they're "in love" with people on a different continent. I think that online dating can be something for people who are desperate... But then a lot of people go in to real life relationships because they're desperate themselves.

Online cybering or whatever people do isn't harmful at all. Some websites are good to make networks if you're moving locations or looking to meet people with similar interests, although it can be dangerous too. But I don't believe you can fall "in love" online... If you want to live that fantasy you need sexual intimacy too.
  • Options
    The internet's just another way of communicating with people, some of who you may like enough to meet in person, and see how it goes from there. It isn't sad, and so long as you're careful when meeting people (i.e. you have common sense), it'll be fine.

Good luck with it!
  • Options
    Are there any UK site recommendations? I imagine that it is better to go for a paid one to cut the risk of spam/scam.
  • Options
    Hmm...

I 'met' my current girlfriend on faceparty. I think I found her profile last August and thought she sounded cool (Met most of my criteria, unfortunately she was Catholic), so I messaged.

I knew she lived in London, but never knew exactly where. Then in February I found out she lived 10 minutes away from me (!) So we met up after school one day, not as a date or anything, just I was right near her so she decided to meet me. TBH, I wasn't expecting the hottest girl in the world to suddenly come towards me... but oh was I surprised :D

After that we met a few more times in London/her area to talk and what not. Then, 5 months later, I asked her out :p At one point I very nearly gave up on her, so glad I didnt now, though.

So umm yeah, online dating is cool. And gets you very hot girlfriends. Just gotta make sure that the person you're talking to isnt some guy/girl thats gonna end up raping/drugging/kidnapping/whatevering you. Online Datings fine unless you're an idiot.