Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

HB blood test when giving blood

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yesterday i went to give blood and had the usual pin prick test. The first time he managed to get air in it, so i had the test done again and again and again.. all failed. So with a very sore finger i was sent to the beds to get a sample taken out of my arm. The nurse took a sample and performed a HB test, which came up borderline, but low. She said i could still give blood though. Problem was she was so abrupt with me that i didn't want to ask her what the test was for and what it means to be low! I did a quick search on the net, but it was mostly really quite scientific. Does anyone know what this means? What are the implications to my health? Eg am i deficient in a mineral or something??

Comments

• Options
    Don't worry!!

This wee small bit of blood is used to check your haemoglobin [iron] level in your blood, they usually take a wee bit of this blood, draw it up an capillary tube and drop it into a liquid - if the blood sinks, you are ok, if it hovers and drops slowly, transfusion should be with caution - if it floats you are in serious shit. lol

She probably meant that your iron levels are at the low end of normal, did you eat anything before you donated? Leafy green veg is also a good source of iron but she would not have let you donate if you had a dangerously low level of iron in your blood
  • Options
    I had eaten breakfast (bacon, egg, sausage, beans and toast), but the night before i was drinking heavily, could that have affected it?
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    I had eaten breakfast (bacon, egg, sausage, beans and toast), but the night before i was drinking heavily, could that have affected it?

Honestly, dunno! Wouldnt have thought so... Might be an idea to make an appointment with your doc to get a general health check up - everyone should get them regularly. Tell him that the Transfusion nurse said your iron level was a wee bit on the low side and he may take a blood test to see if it is.

Could of course be a blip on that day. But will put your mind at rest.
  • Options
    Found an article that stated alcohol can cause anaemia.
  • Options
    Thats probably what it was then, but i'll take a vitamin and iron suppliment just in case. Thanks Panthro!
  • Options
    Snarf snarf.
  • Options
    you've gotta watch those iron suppliments though. Can be nasty if you take too much. Check it out with your GP
  • Options
    I would go to your GP and get your full blood count checked...low iron levels (or anaemia) can be treated with a course of iron supplements which your GP will prescribe. However be aware of the side effects of iron tablets which include constipation and black poo!! :yuck: it's not pleasant!!

Also i wouldn't advise heavy drinking the night before giving blood...excess alcohol plus a pint less blood can leave you feeling sick and make your blood pressure drop causing you to faint!!Not nice :no: ...but on the up side congratualtions for giving blood...very valuable resource! :thumb: