Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

More bollocks from car insurers

Following the recent thread about male discrimination from car insurance companies, now it turns out that your job position can add another couple hundred quid to your premium:
What motorists do for a living plays a big part in determining how much they pay for car insurance, it has been revealed.

Comedians and choirmasters end up forking out £200 a year more than clergymen, even when they drive the same car and live in the same area, according to car insurance search engine company www.confused.com.

"Take, for example, a TV broadcaster paying £448 for their insurance; if they'd described themselves as a TV announcer they'd have to pay an average premium of £681."
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/24082005/356/job-title-affects-car-insurance.html

Fucking rip-off merchant twats... :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks Al. I am now a bank manager.
  • Options
    Truly ridiculous. How can they even begin to justify such discrimination?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Thanks Al. I am now a bank manager.
    I'll be a Catholic priest.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'll be a Catholic priest.

I really don't think that's the best idea...
  • Options
    How can they even begin to justify such discrimination?

They can't justify it, just like they can't justify carging me over £400 more than my wife to insure the same car at the same address.

But you'll still get all the fools bleating on about how it's a "fair risk assessment" becaus manual workers are more likely to crash.

More people who should be executed, it seems.
  • Options
    It's times like this that I look back on my employment history...

1. Motor Insurance
    2. Poll Tax Collector...

Thankfully I'm a reformed character now...
  • Options
    It's times like this that I look back on my employment history...

1. Motor Insurance
    2. Poll Tax Collector...

mob.gif
  • Options
    2. Poll Tax Collector...

Shurely you mean Community Charge collector? :D
  • Options
    It’s justified and job position obviously can sometimes be a factor on determining the level of risk of an individual. Yes it might be annoying and expensive for those of us that aren’t vicars or whatever.

Occupation obviously influences lifestyle, the latter being a big factor in determining the likelihood of someone making a claim. Clergymen are probably less likely to use their car for rush hour commuting, generalising of course but I’d imagine that there are few clergymen boy racers. :chin:

You’d have to be pretty thick to think that there’s an equal chance of say a builder and a clergyman making a claim. Insurers know that certain people are less likely to have an accident. There’s a good chance a middle aged housewife will only use the car for short local journeys to the shops – on longer journeys the husband often seems to do most of the driving. Big generalisation of course but obviously true, insurers wouldn’t give housewives cheap quotes if there wasn’t a lower risk.
  • Options
    Tell that to the person who put down 'TV announcer' as his occupation and ended up paying £200 more than his colleague who put down 'TV broadcaster'.

Yes, there might be some subtle differences and slightly higher risk groups than others, but make no mistake: insurance companies exploit this excuse to the full and make it yet another case of daylight robbery.

Everyone, or most people at least should be paying the amount priests and bank managers get quoted. But a great many of us are simply overcharged on top with the excuse of being in a riskier group.

Imagine how many millions of people will fall under the category of 'shop assitants' or 'retail salesperson'. I'm willing to bet these two rather ambiguous groups, comprising millions of people, are paying considerably more than the so-called lowest risk proffesions.

And incidentally, I don't know any bank managers but I know a couple of people working for merchant banks and city institutions, and they both happen to be well-to-do boys-and-their-toys petrolheads. Not the kind of people I'd consider low risk.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    all the fools .

Cheers!

:hyper:
  • Options
    Ah yes the motor insurance industry is always doing so well, never a problem the greedy bastards!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3039591.stm

"Claims raced ahead of premiums to such an extent that the motor insurance industry fell hundreds of millions into the red. "

Indeed.........
  • Options
    Yeah, my dad has to pay extra because of his job title. Just in case he crashes a car with some important Holby star in it or something... never mind that he doesn't actually know any...
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Ah yes the motor insurance industry is always doing so well, never a problem the greedy bastards!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3039591.stm

"Claims raced ahead of premiums to such an extent that the motor insurance industry fell hundreds of millions into the red. "

Indeed.........

yeh it says they dont assess their risks properly, which they don't and punish the wrong drivers

and part of the problem is uninsured drivers

personally there should be a database of all people with insurance and registered licence plates and those with one but not the other

wont solve all problems but will catch a lot out
  • Options
    yeh it says they dont assess their risks properly,

Does it?