Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Periods Late :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I'm seriously seriously worried right now.

I've been on the pill for around 4-5 months now, and I'm pretty sure I've been taking them correctly (haven't missed any, usually on time). However I'm on my 7 day break right now - I took my last pill on Thursday, and should be taking the next on Friday - but I still haven't come on. I usually start two days into my break (say, Saturday), but theres still no sign.

I can't think of any reasons why I would miss a period - I haven't lost a lot of weight, no big things happening in my life at the moment, though I have been depressed recently, but no more than usual. I took Thursdays pill a bit late - about 11.30 pm instead of 6pm, but that was a one-off, and inside the recommended time (12 hours). I also started my last pack 2 days earlier, as I was fed up with my heavy period during that break. But I'm sure thats still allowed.

I thought I had cramps yesterday morning, but no period followed, so it may have been wind :blush:.

I've been worried about the efficiency of my contraception recently anyway - I'm only on Microgynon 30, and we don't use a condom (I've no worries about STIs) - but the doctors had never suggested I use another form at the same time.

I'm really shitting it right now - my mums going into town later to buy me a test, but I'm scared to take it. Shes also really against abortion, so I'm afraid I'll have to keep it if I am pregnant. I've never been late on the pill before - even after my Gran died, I was still right on time.

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom? I'm already 2 days late :crying:

Comments

• Options
    probably would be a good idea to take a test, the pill is quite annoying because just about anything can make it go all screwy and it still isn't 100% reliable - also you haven't used condoms so that could add to the risk
    but also, it could just be a false alarm - but take the test to get things clear
  • Options
    I'm no expert on this subject being a guy, however my wife usually has her periods right on the dot, as you do, but a couple of times they have been late, she's been concerned, but they have always been false alarms, maybe it was simply that you changed the order in which you took the pills, as you said, could mean that the period will start in a day or so.

The times when she has been pregant, she has always had a very strong feeling the very next morning and has always been right.

So don't worry, but if you are conserned you can always chat to your doctor.
  • Options
    The very reason why i stopped taking the pill and use the patch instead.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    If you are worried then take a test. However, I am also on the pill and I don't normally come on until about 5 days into my 7 day break. I normally finish on a Thursday and it is quite normal for me to have not come on on Monday/Tuesday.

If you have only taken it for 4/5 months then your body may still be adjusting.
  • Options
    I started about 30 mins ago, thank god. My theory is that it just decided to come on the day I usually do (when I take my pills normally), rather than 2 days after my last pill, if that makes sense. It's still A LOT lighter than usual, though.. but I won't go into the gruesome details of my monthly menstruation ;p.

I've thought about the patch/implant/injection, but I feel more reassured using the pill, as I know if its working right (I'd be worried that the others would stop working without me knowing).

Thanks anyway, to everyone who replied :)
  • Options
    Ive been reliably informed that the injection can be painfull for a few days afterwards, but it is effective and means you don't have the worry of taking the pill at the correct time each day.
  • Options
    Personally i hated using the pill.I found that it had far too many rules and i was constantly worried that i had fucked it up and that i might be pregnant.IN fact i cant even remember the amount of times i took a pregnancy test whilst on the pill! Which was only for about 5 months.
    Im on the patch and its ace.You only need to change it once a week and you donthave to worry about being being sick or having diarohea that will affect the effectiveness.Also if you forget to change your ptach mid cycle you get up to 48 hours of being protected befor changing it.
    Its been a god send for someone as forgetfull as me!
  • Options
    One of my friends was 3 weeks late on her period by the time it came. Now being a guy, I´m not completely au fait with these things but I know that´s a long time. Needless to say she was bricking it.
  • Options
    did u not follow the 7 day rule? I havent had any problems, I have been sick but just followed the 7 day rule , pregnancy would ruin my life, im not against abortion but dont know if i could do it.
  • Options
    i have my last pill on a friday and tend to come on on around the tuesday. i wouldn't worry. it might just take your body a little while to get used to taking the pill. as long as you take them on time etc then you should be fine. :)