Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What to do when someone faints

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I pass out quite regually, this freaks my bf out a bit as we haven't been together long so he doesn't no what to do.

Does anyone know what you are supposed to do so i can tell him. Normally my family just leave me till i come round but he doesn't like to do this, in case I dont come round.

thanx

Emz

Comments

• Options
    IIRC, I got told to put them in the recovery position, but NOT if they have a suspected broken bone.
  • Options
    Lie them flat on their backs, with their legs bent and loosen any tight clothing. This will get the blood flowing back to the head.

But the question should be - why are you passing out all the time? Trip to the docs for a checkover methinks!
  • Options
    i heard you need to put your feet higher than your head so blood flows to your head faster, which means you wake up quicker.
  • Options
    :yes:
  • Options
    yep legs in the air
  • Options
    Have you been checked by a doctor?

He's very right in his approach. There are many reasons for fainting, and some are not best left alone.
  • Options
    no, its something that has been happening for years so im used to it, it doesn't bother me any more.

sometimes i can work out the reason and others i can't.

thanks for the advice, i'll show him later when i see him.

emz
  • Options
    Did you see your GP before then? I doubt people faint without good reason.
  • Options
    If i feel im going to faint i lie in the recovery position, usually passes then-never tried the legs in the air trick
  • Options
    Dinted wrote:
    i heard you need to put your feet higher than your head so blood flows to your head faster, which means you wake up quicker.
    I was gonna say that if somebody faints, you take their wallet.

But this sounds like a better idea. Are you fainting or having seizures?
  • Options
    The legs in the air is usually a treatment for shock, but I guess it would work too...
    Yeah, I'd be worried about you passing out somewhere where you could end up hitting your head or something...go see a doctor for a check?
  • Options
    yeh and tell him to look if you could have hit your head on the way down.

Seriously though, just becuase itas been going on for years, doesn't mean seeing a new doctor now won't help. I'd go, you don't wanna faint and hurt yourself!
  • Options
    another vote for lie down with legs in the air. It gets the blood back to the brain quickest.
    Thats what they did when I fainted at the hospital, and thats what theyve taught me at college.
  • Options
    i would make them sit with there knees bent and put there head between the legs

heres some shit that might be useful, most of it im sure you know http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/fainting.htm
  • Options
    i would make them sit with there knees bent and put there head between the legs [/url]

That is only if they are feeling faint...as several people have said, when people actually faint you should turn them on their side and elevate the legs...get the blood flowing etc.

I went through a period of fainting a lot...went to the GP and was refered to the hospital, and was told i just had low blood pressure.Anything small like being too hot, or feeling sick can make my blood pressure drop a littl bit more...then im on the floor!! :crazyeyes

But if you have never been checked out i suggest you pop to your GP's...just because you are used to it, doesn't mean you shouldn't seek professional advice.
  • Options
    Jem wrote:
    The legs in the air is usually a treatment for shock, but I guess it would work too...

its not for shock, its for low blood pressure. and low blood pressure is a big reason for fainting.

someone else said that putting your head between your legs is for if you feel fain, not if u actually faint...i used to faint a lot wen i was younger and would always comes round sat on a chair with my head between my legs. so its not just for when you're feeling faint.

if someone faints you need to get them in a position where their head is down so that the blood can get back to the head. laying on the floor is fine but may take longer as although your head is lower than usual, its stilllevel with the rest of your body.
  • Options
    i faint quite a lot and the only thing that makes me come round is sugar so i get my blood test results back tomorrow to find out if im diabetic - prehaps it's worth getting it checked
  • Options
    For People Who Dont Know What To Do When Their With Someone Who Faints

If you're with someone who has fainted, try to make sure the person is lying flat, but avoid moving the person if you think he or she might have been injured when falling (moving an injured person can make things worse).

Instead, loosen any tight clothing ? such as belts, collars, or ties ? to help restore blood flow. Propping the person's feet and lower legs up on a backpack or jacket can also help move blood back toward the brain.

Someone who has fainted will usually recover quickly. Because it's normal to feel a bit weak after fainting, be sure the person stays lying down. Getting up too quickly may bring on another fainting spell.

Call 999 if someone who has fainted does not regain consciousness after about a minute.

Zoe,. :)
    (i faint regulaly and have had to tell my friends this)

Once i fainted and woke up to people trying to pick me up,. DO NOT pick the person up! leave them to restore blood flow to the brain, when lying down, your brain is level to your heart which makes it easier for the blood to flow, when they tell you they feel ok again, make sure they sit up slowly, leave them to stay sitting for 10-15 minutes, then hold them as they stand up SLOWLY and only if they say they feel alright to walk, then move on,. sleeping is recommended after someone faints. If you cannot do this, try and call someone with a car, keep the windows open so they don't over heat.
  • Options
    this thread is around 3 years old, and thankfully the fainting has stopped! Thanks anyway
  • Options
    this thread is around 3 years old, and thankfully the fainting has stopped! Thanks anyway

I didn't know you've been here 3 years! You don't have loads of posts!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Good to hear :) Gonna close this now.
This discussion has been closed.