Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is it infected?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right...
A couple of nights ago I got pretty drunk, so drunk in fact that I burnt my arm quite badly with a cigarette. The burn's just over the size of a 1p. Being drunk at the time I didn't think much of it but the next morning I noticed it was quite deep and put Germoline on it.
However this morning I have noticed it has scabbed over and the scab is green. The area around it has gone red and slightly swollen. It is a bit painful to prod but nothing major. I don't know if this is due to an infection or because i may have slept on it. None of the area around it is green, just the scab. I have still been applying Germoline but wanted to know whether it would require a doctor's visit.
If I do need to visit the doc would it be an emergency visit or just a case of making an appointment? I'm hoping I can just leave it to clear itself up, but I have heard infections can lead to amputation, so just wanted to know whether this is normal or if the wound is infected really.

Comments

• Options
    let it heal, all of what you have described is the bodies natural process of healing... don't pick the scab - keep it clean and dry and everything should be hunky dory.

Please don't think the worse... but if you want piece of mind from a qualified practitioner then on you go.
  • Options
    if you cant be bothered going to a doctor, im sure a nurse will be able to tell you what to do with it, and if you require any antibiotics or anything.
  • Options
    No I don't think it's infected, I got a cigarette put out on my head once and it went browny/green colour and it healed up alright, though if you wanna be sure, visit the doctor.
  • Options
    At my first aid for work course said you only need to go to a doc if it more than a palm wide. But personally-if you worried see doc OR ring up nhs direct
  • Options
    Ashamedly this has happened before when drunk on my other arm. But it was a huge 50p sized lighter burn. I just don't remember the scab being green or it swelling.
    I think the burn was a lot worse then though, was 2 years ago and still a very bad scar.