Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Application Letters / Availability for Interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In an application letter in reply to an ad in the local paper, when they ask for a covering letter and CV, what's the best thing to put in a final paragraph about my availability for interview?

At school (five years ago!) we were told to put "..I am available for interview at any time.." but I work full time now, so obviously I'd prefer to keep it quiet that I'm applying for other jobs and (hopefully!) attending interviews - not gonna be easy if I'm asked to go for an interview at 11am on a weekday! Other than taking a whole day's holiday, what options do I have? Would it be cheeky to put something in about "I work full time so could you take this into account when allocating an interview time" (tho obviously wording it better than that - any help appreciated! ;)) or should I just not mention interviews and go for the classic "look forward to hearing from you to discuss further" line?

Thankyou! :)

Comments

• Options
    Normally the question is asking how much notice you would need to go to an interview.

So in your case you'd put something like "I can interview given x days notice"
  • Options
    Most interviews are going to be held at times when you'll be working, because sadly that is also when the interviewer is working!

Recently I had an interview when I should have been working and I asked my employer if I could use the hours of overtime I had done to attend the interview. She knew I was looking for another job though.

If you don't want anyone to know you are applying for another job you could perhaps say you are going for an interview for a course or even that you have a doctors appointment (I shouldn't say this but you could go as far as to make an appointment at the desk of your doctors, get a card showing your time of appointment and then cancel it - don't forget to cancel it though, hehe!)
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Most interviews are going to be held at times when you'll be working, because sadly that is also when the interviewer is working!

Yeah, I was perhaps thinking it would be good to have the interview first thing in the morning or last thing in the afternoon - would be more plusable (sp?) and easier to excuse that way.

I so can't wait to leave my job - I hope I find something soon! :(
This discussion has been closed.