Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Painkillers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, my ears fucking hurt and the nurse only gave me paracetamol, which was swiftly replace by ibuprofen which isn't helping much.

What is the strongest painkiller I can get over the counter?! :confused:

Comments

• Options
    i dont know how strong it is but i got paramol today after getting a bit of a tooth out. it was really hurting and they took the pain away pretty rapidly.
    best to actualy speak to the chemist though or have someone do it for you x
  • Options
    Get yourself some Neurofen Plus! Contains codiene and can completely knock you out... great painkiller!
  • Options
    If you are really seriously in pain then you should be talking to your GP about it.

However in the meantime you can get a pack of Nuerofen Max and a pack of Sulfaden Max and take them at the same time, though dont do it for long.
  • Options
    u can take ibruprofen and paracetamol at the same time i believe, im sure i did it when i had my tonsils out, whatever it was it worked
  • Options
    I called NHS 24 last night and the nurse said I shouldn't be taking Ibuprofen because it delays the healing of cartilage. On visiting my doctor this morning thought, I was told this was utter garbage although she'd check it and call me later on.

Anyway, I've been refused Morphine :banghead: but given some Co-Codamol which is working pretty well :yes:
  • Options
    co-codamol is very very good stuff, sorts me out good and proper.
  • Options
    I was prescribed Co-Dydramol when I had a stomach infection, and they knocked me for six. Horrible things - but they're 10 times stronger than paracetamol. - My sister takes them for back spasms and she's fine on them.

Ilora x
  • Options
    k@tie wrote:
    Anyway, I've been refused Morphine :banghead: but given some Co-Codamol which is working pretty well :yes:

Unless you have just lost a leg or you're back has snapped in half you're not going to get morphine!

Co-codamol is fairly standard, though I've noticed that GP's normally give out doses you can buy cheaper. You can buy 12.8mg tablets over the counter.
  • Options
    See, the nurse told me i could get Morphine if I'd let them amputate a limb, but my friend works part time in her dads pharmacy and see's them handed out like smarties :yeees:

When I was leaving today the doctor said if I took anything stronger than Co-Codamol it'd knock me out. Which is fine tbh, I could do with the sleep!
  • Options
    k@tie wrote:
    See, the nurse told me i could get Morphine if I'd let them amputate a limb, but my friend works part time in her dads pharmacy and see's them handed out like smarties :yeees:

Yes, if you are dying from cancer or have a horrific back injury then you might get mophine, but I doubt you want either of those.

What strength of co-codamol have you got?
  • Options
    Um... it says 8MG + 500 MG on the box. So I guess that makes it 508MG? :confused:

In other news, my thread made front page :yippe:

[/Sad little girl]
  • Options
    You could buy those much cheaper over the counter than the £6.30 prescription cost. They are not strong.

The ones you've got are 8mg/500mg 8mg codeine to 500mg paracetamol.
  • Options
    I didn't pay for them cos I'm still in full time education :)

How come you know so much? :chin:
  • Options
    I've been prescribed a mixture of things in the past, and someone in my family has long term pain issues, so you get to learn these things.

Co-codamol is normally prescribed in 8/500, 10/500, 15/500 or 30/500, though the last one is the least common.
  • Options
    k@tie wrote:
    I called NHS 24 last night and the nurse said I shouldn't be taking Ibuprofen because it delays the healing of cartilage. On visiting my doctor this morning thought, I was told this was utter garbage although she'd check it and call me later on.

when i had my wisdom teeth out, they just gave me ibuprofen (but 600mg tabs), and said it was the best thing to take after minor surgery as it reduces swelling, so aids quick healing.

i'd get a second opinion from your doc.