Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

constantly getting a cold!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is more of a rant but it just seems that I am *ALWAYS* getting a cold!! I got a cold 2 weeks ago and now I have another one! This is probably like the 10th one in the last 8 months! I was wondering if there could be like another reason for why my immune system is so crap! I take that echinacea stuff and loads of vitamins, but I just seem to be extreeemely susceptible to catching colds! Is there something I could do to enforce my immune system, like foods or specific vitamins, or is this just the way my body is and I'm going to have to live with this! :grump:

Comments

• Options
    Vitamin C is fab for colds...i used to get them all the time until i started taking it, now only get a couple a year :thumb:
  • Options
    Yup, lots of oranges and lemons tend to keep stuff away. If you can't stomach eating a lemon whole then some honey and lemon drink you can make easily enough at home is fantastic during a cold but usually helps prevent it too.
  • Options
    Go and see your doctor. I had this exact problem for years... funnily enough, cutting out certain foods seems to have helped me build up a better immune system. Like curries and stuff.

Worth a try.
  • Options
    What you eat impacts on your immune system. Some food can weaken it in some people.

If you have a cold you need to take on a lot of vitamin, especially C. Try eating citrus fruit and also taking tablets for vitamin C, and also zinc, which also helps the immune system.

It's also important to get as much rest as you can, as once you are worn down and fatigued you are more suseptible to further infections.

I used to have trouble and now I take on vitamin C tablet and one zinc tablet a day, and don't seem to have so much trouble.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I may have it checked out as 'SheHasNoTime' said, there's no point in taking loadsa vitamins if I'm going to be cancelling it out with other foods! Cheers!
  • Options
    i used to get colds, then tonsilitus etc cos of lack of vitamins, so get some supplements. you can get them especially for immune system! and eat more fruit and veg
  • Options
    If you have a cold, take a vitamin C tablet every few hours and you will feel your sypmtoms fade. Try it for a couple of days, you'll feel much better. Although it could have adverse effects if you continued high doses of vit.c over an extended period of time. :thumb:
  • Options
    For vitamin C, what is the most useful fruit? Is it lemon, then orange?

My favourite fruits are peaches, bananas and oranges. Is there a guide that quantifies fruit?
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote:
    For vitamin C, what is the most useful fruit? Is it lemon, then orange?

My favourite fruits are peaches, bananas and oranges. Is there a guide that quantifies fruit?
    There's plenty of vitamin C in potato skins as well.