Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Old Bill getting their priorities right

Police block motorway to pick up toy

Police closed a section of the M11 to rescue a girl's soft toy after it flew from the family car in a gust of wind.

[...] Her father Simon, who called out Essex Police, said: "One of the officers had children and probably knew the importance of these things."

Police said their action was a "minor inconvenience" to avoid Amy's distress.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4150386.stm

Well who said coppers are not servants of the people?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    How bloody stupid... I saw this and thought "What a waste of resources" which it is...

"Lets get a burglar!" "Nah, we could jsut rescue a soft toy, and hold up traffic for absolutley ages."
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the finest int world aye ...
  • Options
    The father of the child should be prosecuted for wasting police time.

And no matter how efficiently they are carried out, roadblocks severely increase the risk of accidents on the road. You would have thought that the police would want to keep them to a minimum. I won't even go into waste of resources, cash etc.

I also have to wonder whether the child in question might be being brought up as a bit of a spoilt brat.
  • Options
    haha
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I also have to wonder whether the child in question might be being brought up as a bit of a spoilt brat.

Duh. "You matter more than anyone else on the Road, let me get the police, waste their time and everyone elses to get your cuddly toy back."
  • Options
    it's just road kill and even that has it's seasons.
    will the police be mounting safety contols to help frogs cross the road?
    if they can get the funding then probably ...anything to keep them away from those nasty criminal types ...officers could to easily be corrupted in a criminal environment.
  • Options
    You'd have to be a heartless bastard to be able to look a crying girl in the face and say "nope, your treasured toy will just have to be run over repeatedly"
  • Options
    Call me a heartless bastard then because its a waste of time and just holds everyone else up.

Mind you one of my sister's has never quite forgiven me for dangling her toy panda out the window of the car until she promised to stop pestering me :D
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    You'd have to be a heartless bastard to be able to look a crying girl in the face and say "nope, your treasured toy will just have to be run over repeatedly"
    It fell into the central reservation though. It was not going to be run over (which incidentally would be just about the only valid reason for the police to get involved, as no debris should be on the road).
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It fell into the central reservation though. It was not going to be run over (which incidentally would be just about the only valid reason for the police to get involved, as no debris should be on the road).

I wasnt being entirely serious, it does seem like a waste of time and money to me, but I dont think I would have done well infront of the kid, crying children freak me out.
  • Options
    You heartless bastards.

I think the police did a wondeful job, and its refreshing to actually see some human emotion and some human common sense in positions of authority for a change.

The police officer who rescued that toy should be given a medal, not vilified.

If you are in such a rush that you can't wait ten minutes for a very young child to be reunited with her favourite toy then you should have set off earlier. Some things are more important.

You go and tell that girl that her best friend- because that's what toys mean to young children- isn't important, and that you being ten minutes late for a meeting you should have already arrived at is far more important.

I for one want to commend the police officers in question for showing some human compassion. They did a very kind thing when it would have been easier not to. They should be praised not abused.

And I feel for them- they are vilified for being robots, and when they do show some compassion and emotion they are, er, vilified.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I wasnt being entirely serious, it does seem like a waste of time and money to me, but I dont think I would have done well infront of the kid, crying children freak me out.

Oh okay, I misread you there.

Yes it would have been an upset for the kid... and a valuable lesson in life.

A good 'bribe' from her parents (new cuddly toy, special treat) should have been more than enough to compensate. I certainly know what my dad would have said if I'd carried on crying for too long... :D
  • Options
    Kermit, are you being sarcastic?

I couldn't quite tell...........
  • Options
    No, I'm not being sarcastic.

I think the police showed some emotion, and I think that's good to see. How much delay did it cause, ten minutes max?
  • Options
    Difficult to say. Probably more, but the delay caused is only the tip of the iceberg.

How many officers are required to carry on a blockade? Officers who would otherwise be patrolling the motorway, looking for speeders and infractors, etc etc.

Is the increased risk of accidents really worth the recovery of a stuffed toy for a child?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Is the increased risk of accidents really worth the recovery of a stuffed toy for a child?

Depends how loud the kid was crying I guess.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    That was worth a controlled detonation, at least.
  • Options
    Yes, I think the increased risk is justified. Because I'm dubious that there is one.

You can't speed when the road is closed, either:)
  • Options
    LOL.

I wonder if they put seven bullets through the head of the toy before returning it to the little girl...
  • Options
    Depends if it was foreign.
  • Options
    Well, the bit about it flying out of the sunroof was funny. In fact the whole thing was quite funny, because I wasn't on the M11.

Motorways are for going along bloody fast, not pissing about because some kid managed to accidentally wang a soft toy out the sunroof.

Kids are a pain.

:grump:
    Yes I am compassionless when it comes to things like that (children)/other road users :p
  • Options
    Mixed feelings about this. If I were on the road at the time I might have been slightly pissed off about the hold up, but like Kermit said, the Police can't win either way.
  • Options
    Yeah, it was a no-win situation for the police. If I were the kid, i'd have been mighty upset. But my parents would have probably just carried on... not asked the police to stop traffic. Likley they'd have bought me a new one of the same toy. Kindof cute, but seems rather spoiling thew child as posted above, expecting the police to stop what they are doing, and stop everyone trying to use the motorway.
  • Options
    I don't think they were wasting police time- they rang up a non-emergency line and asked a favour, and the police agreed.

It's not spoiling the child at all. Not unless you think burying their pet rabbit instead of eating it is spoling a child too.

You're all cold heartless bastards.
  • Options
    Lets forget about the police and what they did

Lets look at the stupid parents who rang the police after this incident. Jesus Christ, a fucking toy, not a family heirloom like. And if they were so bothered they'd go out and look themselves. It's not the polices job to be closing roads and chasing after toys no matter how kind it was of them to do it.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    And if they were so bothered they'd go out and look themselves.

Yep, I'm sure they would go and dodge the cars doing 85mph.
    It's not the polices job to be closing roads and chasing after toys no matter how kind it was of them to do it.

The police thought it was.

The polioce aren't complaining about the waste of resources, so why is everyone doing it on their behalf?

They didn't ring 999, they rang a non-emergency number.
    The police were there anyway.

Why is everyone so upset about it? Feel the love, people.
  • Options
    It could be for several reasons.

The fact that police wasted time in such a trivial, pointless and minor issue.

The fact that police blocked a motorway and caused delays for such a trivial, pointless and minor issue. Now Kermit, if I remember well you were bitterly complaining about BA staff going on strike and inconveniencing passengers. At least you could argue that the livelihoods of hundreds of families were at stake. What exactly was at stake here, other than a child being upset for half an hour?

If I'd been late to a meeting and lost my job or a good business deal; if I'd been late on a date and found out my date gave up and left; if I'd been late on my child's wedding... my natural reaction would've been to find the father in question and stick the offending toy up his backside... same goes for the coppers concerned.

And then you could go deeper into it and wonder what world do we live in where a person thinks it's appropriate to inconvenience literally thousands of people so their child can have a toy back.

I genuinely fear for the psychological well being of this child, if she's really being brought up in such way as to grant her every last wish and to spare her the 'trauma' of losing a stuffed lion. Not to mention several lessons concerning sense of proportion, selflessness and consideration towards others.
  • Options
    I am a cold heartless bastard for the record. But after a slightly flippant earlier answer I do think that the police were right to do this. They put in place a rolling road block (which basically means for a few minutes they closed one lane and given that it was the one next to the central reservation you should only be using it to overtake anyway). There's no evidence it caused a roadblock and the police resources were a couple of police cars deployed for a few minutes and some postage - its hardly breaking the bank.

But the British police's role in society isn't just to catch criminals, but to serve the public. I've asked policemen the directions to places and I wouldn't expect him to turn round and say its not his job. Same for this - it was easy to do, helped out a family and was good PR.
  • Options
    IF he hadnt of called the police and tried to get it himself he may have been killed, n leaving having a little girl scream and cry all the way to where ever ur going may just as dangerous.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yeah, it was a no-win situation for the police. .
    no win cos they do so fucking much arse about tit!

it was a kids toy for fucks sake ...if it had been my wallet it would have been a different story.