Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Chances of her being pregnant?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had sex with a girl last week... her periods are irregular - its 4 months since the last one, and before that it was 7 months.

We used a condom which seemed to work (didnt notice any split or anything), but just in case we went to the walk in centre 24hrs later, where they tested her, and it came back negative, and then they gave her the 2 morning after pills together.

So what are the chances? she felt sick yesterday but not too bad today.

Comments

• Options
    she wont be pregnant after taking the morning after pills, if youused a condom and it didnt split then it was probably effective.if her periods are THAT irregular i see why you would worry seeing as you haveno idea when it will come. but yea shes probably not preggers so chill out.
  • Options
    if you used a condom and you used it properly, her chance of being pregnant is slim.
  • Options
    Would she even have been ovulating if she's gone so long without a period, assuming her next one isn't going to come in the next week or 2?
  • Options
    legowars wrote:
    she wont be pregnant after taking the morning after pills,
    actually the M.A.P is not 100% effective.

it is unlikely however if your condom didn't split.
  • Options
    id have thought with the condom not splitting, the pregnancy test being negative and the MAP we'd be ok... especially as she surely aint ovulating unless she was having a period in the next couple of weeks!?
  • Options
    the pregnancy test is a non-issue anyway - no test is sensitive enough to pick up the hormone that soon after conception. they probably just tested her to make sure she wasn't pregnant from previous encounters before giving her a high-dose hormone.
  • Options
    ok last question, as its 4 months after her last period and it was 7 months before that one, should she come on within 3 weeks of taking the MAP, or will it arrive as it would have anyway, i.e. possibly 2/3 months away?
  • Options
    It's good that you are taking care, but was just wondering why you thought to get the MAP when you had used contraception?

It seems very unlikely she would be pregnant.

Does she have some sort of medical problem?
  • Options
    wow
    ultra safe sex!!
    guess thats betta than not caring but if that were me it would not even cross my mind that id be pregnant.
  • Options
    we aren't a couple, i'm 20 and she is only 16. She doesnt have any sort of medical problem, but she hasn't had 'regular' periods yet.

I asked her to come and get the MAP just to be on the safe side in the very unlikely case that something had gone wrong... which I don't believe it did.

So I shouldn't worry? I'm just a born worrier!
  • Options
    Really, don't worry. But if the two of you are going to be having regular sex, maybe she should think about going on the pill or using some other form of long term contraception.
  • Options
    It was a one off, won't be having it again, not after the worry this has caused me!!!

has anyone got an answer to this question tho...

"as its 4 months after her last period and it was 7 months before that one, should she come on within 3 weeks of taking the MAP, or will it arrive as it would have anyway, i.e. possibly 2/3 months away?"
  • Options
    i dont think it was even necessary to take m.a.p if the condom didnt split!
    she should go on the pill to make periods regular!
  • Options
    Hey relax... why are you so stressed? You seem like a very sensible guy, there are not enough around like you. So don't worry so much. :)
  • Options
    I was just wondering with that last question to be honest, as I couldn't find an answer on the net... just didnt want to be worrying if she doesnt come on in a few weeks even though it isn't regular for her.

I hate worrying, if it isnt over something like this its over my health etc.
  • Options
    the morning after pill can mess up your cycle a bit. She could do a pregnancy test if you are still that worried.
  • Options
    a period will comes when it wants to. if she hasn't get her period within three weeks, you could do a pregnancy test as this will be around the time hormone levels will be high enough to tell. it is highly unlikely she will be, though not impossible.
  • Options
    Condoms are 98% effective- assuming as you say it was intact, MAPs are 75% effective, and this raises the sooner the pill is taken after sex, combined with a negative test result (although how accurate that was is unsure) you'd be facing pretty high odds of a pregnancy. If the cycles are that irregular and you're worried your GP might be a good place to start.
  • Options
    it was definately intact, I know that!
  • Options
  • Options
    Woohoo! she came on today which was a relief - is it likely that the MAP helped it along a little?!

I've learned my lesson at least and won't be doing it again, which is the biggest thing that can come out of this to be honest.
  • Options
    Ricky wrote:
    Woohoo! she came on today which was a relief - is it likely that the MAP helped it along a little?!

I've learned my lesson at least and won't be doing it again, which is the biggest thing that can come out of this to be honest.

Have I missread your post, you and your girlfriend had sex with you used protection, you panicked and she had the morning after pill now you and your girlfriend arn't going to have sex anymore, what does she think about that.

Would your girlfriend be helped by going on the pill, I know it's sometimes prescribed to help with irregular periods, plus it would give you and her more peace of mind.
  • Options
    Jem wrote:
    Condoms are 98% effective- assuming as you say it was intact, MAPs are 75% effective, and this raises the sooner the pill is taken after sex, combined with a negative test result (although how accurate that was is unsure) you'd be facing pretty high odds of a pregnancy. If the cycles are that irregular and you're worried your GP might be a good place to start.

Bear in mind effectiveness goes on the percentage of couples (out of 1000) having sex using that method of contraception for a YEAR get pregnant.

To be perfectly honest, if you have unprotected sex with someone then because humans arent very fertile anyway the odds are in your favour.