Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fertility laws under the spotlight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Opinions, are rather like arseholes in that everyone has got one, especially regarding parenting.

The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act was passed in 1990 and is now being reviewed under public consultation.

Matters taken into consideration include internet sperm banks, assisted reproductive treatment for single women and gay couples and embryo screening etc.

Story here

Thoughts?

I'm glad it's up for review given that it has advanced quite a bit in 15 years, and raises some interesting ethical questions. I'm still trying to gather my thoughts on the specific issues raised, but I'd be interested in the views of others.

Comments

• Options
    go_away wrote:
    Thoughts?

Just a couple.

1> How can they refer to internet purchased sperms as "fresh"?

2> It's about time that this law was reviewed. Any law which is impacted on by technological advances should have a five year limit on it IMHO.
  • Options
    I'm torn most by the idea of having to pass a parenting test to get IVF.

I can see the idea behind it, and it isn't a distasteful one, but the whole idea that one or two people can decide who is to be a parent is rather horrifying. It's so open to abuse and eugenics.
  • Options
    How can they refer to internet purchased sperms as "fresh"?

The Miracle of Tupperware? ;)

Actually, what does constitute 'fresh' sperm? Edjaculated there and then, or can it keep for an hour or two? I'd presume all the internet samples are sent frozen?
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Actually, what does constitute 'fresh' sperm?

We could do an experiment...

1. I'll send some by post later today. Should get to you on Friday.
    2. I'll deliver some personally on Friday.

You can decide which is fresher...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm torn most by the idea of having to pass a parenting test to get IVF.

Me too. Unless the same rules are going to be applied to everyone who wants kids...

Of course, there is another option.

The Govt could mind their own fucking business.

Cunts.
  • Options
    Excellent, I shall invite some friends over

A clinic's study found that both fresh and frozen sperm were equally effective for IVF. Tasty
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Excellent, I shall invite some friends over

Sounds like my kind of party. Will I have to pick out keys from a pot or something?
    A clinic's study found that both fresh and frozen sperm were equally effective for IVF. Tasty

Doesn't surprise me, funnily enough.

Actually that has me wondering. Is it defrost at room temperature for 2 hours before use, or can you uke them in the microwave if you forget?
  • Options
    No, but one of my friends is bringing something called a 'swinger' along. It sounds like a modern type of hammock.
    Is it defrost at room temperature for 2 hours before use, or can you uke them in the microwave if you forget?

15 seconds on medium, or until golden brown.

No, seriously, I'm really quite curious about how this works too
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    No, but one of my friends is bringing something called a 'swinger' along. It sounds like a modern type of hammock.

My neighbour has one of them too. In fact I could ask his wife if she'll provide the music. Apparently she's a "player"...

Ever get the feeling that you know too many terms?

15 seconds on medium, or until golden brown.

No, seriously, I'm really quite curious about how this works too

No, not Golden Brown, that's how you end up with David Dickenson/Des O'Connor.

Another thought. It's possible to freeze an embryo - I think - so why not a fully grown baby...
  • Options
    Ah, here we are..
    Once you have informed us of when this is and we have received all the test results in respect of the Donor, we can then make arrangements for delivery of the Donor’s sperm donation to you.

On the arranged delivery day the sample will be collected from the donor and delivered straight to your preferred address within a 2 hour time limit. This time limit is important to keep the sperm fresh.

The consignment will have a security tag attached and you must check this before opening. If there are any signs of damage or tampering please DO NOT USE THE DONATION BUT CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY.
  • Options
    I think - so why not a fully grown baby...

Post-natal planning or postponement of parenthood :yes: (try saying that after a few beers).

I'm sure there's room in the deep freeze as long as you account for the turkey. And get neither mixed up.
  • Options
    Two hours. What if he's at work? A quick trip to the toilets perhaps...?

Talk about knocking one off on demand...
  • Options
    I'm surprised they could even get it up for that, I can't even pee under pressure
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Post-natal planning or postponement of parenthood :yes: (try saying that after a few beers).

More about designer babies, as per the link really.

I was thinking about popping to Tesco, see if I couldn't get us a female version of the models we already have.

Worth noting that the Sale of Goods Act would apply, so refunds available...
  • Options
    Me too. Unless the same rules are going to be applied to everyone who wants kids...

Of course, there is another option.

The Govt could mind their own fucking business.

Cunts.

You can actually say cunt without the italic these days MoK
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    You can actually say cunt without the italic these days MoK

:grump:

Now where's the fun in that? It's like buying a beer on your 18th birthday...
  • Options
    i dont see how "seeing the need of a father firgure in the childs upbringing is important" is unfair to lesbians? does this mean gay men can adopt kids through the UK system now?