Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Meeting the parents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so kinda random, just was really weird for me this weekend. Me and my fella have bene together about 5 weeks now, neither of us had met each others parents or anything. Anyways just happened that this weekend both his parents were down and my mum was down to see us. We ended up both taking them to the same pub on Saturday night so the parents met at the same time as we met each others parents. In the past my mum's never met any of my exes parents even when I was engaged to Andy, let alone after only 5 weeks of being with someone.

So anyways to make a point to this thread, what sort of stage of a relationship do you usually decide parents should meet unless anything random happens like to me this weekend.

Comments

• Options
    with my previous boyfriend it was around six months, but i think its just one of those random things or unless you have a birthday or a party or something...

i dont think its too much to worry about, well as long as they get on!
  • Options
    parents meeting parents is usually an as and when type deal. if they all live close by, it can be quite soon into the relationship, but then i know people who's parents met the other parents on their wedding day.

our two lots of parents live 120 miles apart, so they've only met twice. first time was about 9 months into the relationship, and the second was a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    Im meeting my boyfriends family in 12 days. Im nervous lol. Always worried people will dislike me.

Oh and weve been together almost two months
  • Options
    I introduced my boyfriend to my parents about a month after i'd been with him. I know exactly what my mum's like, she's very nosy & i knew full well if i didnt introduce him to her she'd be up at my Uni trying to find him.

Both our parents met 3 months later which was kinda freaky cuz i was like 'oh god this means we're really serious!' But they all got on well so i was rather pleased!
  • Options
    from proper relationships ive always got on well with the parents, usallly meet them naturally when im round there house etc.

the last 2 occasions have been awfull - had a one night stand with a girl in a hotel, afterwards, walking here down to reception to get her key so she didnt wake her parents, we bumped into her dad on the stairs while we was laughing bout what just went on, her dad was furious!!

and more recently i nearly met this girls mum. Id known the girl for ages but only as friends, she invited me back one night, went into the kitchen to get a drink, while she went upstairs, moments later i could her a voice shouting "who is the boy in my house, waking me up, get him out now" i was quickly out of there before she came down

i hate meeting girls parents now, i think im going to avoid girls that still live at home!
  • Options
    My boyfriend met my parents after a week, but I've still not met his, we've been together for 1year 2months!
  • Options
    Pretty soon, because we still relied on parents for lifts :) as of yet no formal occasions or anything, but my mum gets on with my gfs parents WAY too well :p sometimes I end up sitting on the stairs by the front door with my girlfriend waiting to leave whilst my mum has a cup of tea and a chat and takes about 40 minutes....
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I met David's parents about 6 months into our relationship. That was weird as I completely clammed up (which is unusual) as a heeeeuuuuugggeee deal was made and a big family ocassion was called!

He met my parents a few weeks before that.
  • Options
    My parents have never met my boyfriends parents, but his parental things are a bit complicated. I've never met his actual mum because she lives in Scotland and he only see's her for about a week a year if that.
    His dad lives in Nuneaton with his girlfriend so we only really see him when we go out for meals/go and visit etc and he lives with his step-mum a couple of villages away from me so i kinda met her pretty quick just from going round his house and that.
  • Options
    It does tend to be an as-and-when, we met each other's parents quite soon into the relationship, but the parentals didn't meet each other for ages and ages because they live 100 miles apart.

Poor GWST though. When she first met my extended family, she had to suffer my grandma singing Sex Bomb to her boyfriend on a karaoke. Bit o'class.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Hehe, my and David's parents met for the first time the day before the wedding. It was kinda tense. Ah well. I just drank more wine.
  • Options
    I introduced my boyfriend to my parents a week after we got together, but he was a friend before that so they'd heard a lot about him anyway. I met his mum at a local social event about two weeks after we got together, shortly followed by his younger brother, but only met his dad after six weeks we got together - they all live together though, just circumstances didn't get us all together until about the six week mark.

My dad and my bf's dad know of each other via a business connection (his dad's company does contract work for my dad's) and they met face to face when my dad went to his dad's office for a business meeting. As his mum is the company secretary, he met her at the same time.

My mum and his dad met last xmas because my mum works in a jewellers and his dad has gone in to get his mum's present - which my mum sold to him and got all the commission! :)

Just the two mum's to go now... :nervous:
  • Options
    my bf met my mum and my dad on the first day, poor sod lol, we was about 15, so it was bout 3 n half yrs ago now, we live bout 3 minutes away from each other, with a shop in between, my mum works at the shop so, he had the joy of meeting her in there when we went in.

He met my dad because we went to my friends house, his mate used to live up the road from my mate lol. who both lived quite far and my dad gave us a lift home, with him only living up the road, he got one with us lol
  • Options
    I went round to the fellas parents place on Sunday to meet the rentals and we've been together about 6 weeks.
  • Options
    My ex met my Dad on our first proper date - because he wanted my Dad to know who I was with. Decent young lad. ;)

I, on the other hand, went all shy and didn't meet his Mum for 10 months, and his Dad for 12 (his Dad lives abroad) - they obviously loved me though, so it was OK. ;)
  • Options
    i met my boyfriends mum and step dad the second time i saw him..on our first proper date. was inevitable really as i was going to his house to pick him up. i was a bit worried but apparantly she really likes me. my boyfriend met my mum and step dad a few weeks later. i've met his dad, but he's yet to meet mine as he lives a few hundered miles away.