Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My visit to the GUM clinic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I went to the GUM clinic today for no particular reason but I just wanted peace of mind and make sure im ok. I was really crapping myself in the waiting room and when the doctor called me I was dreading going into that room coz I knew he was gonna want to take a look.

Well I felt more comfortable than I expected, the initial inspection was not bad at all. So I was sent back to the waiting room to wait for the nurse to call me.

The nurse called me and into another room I went. I hate her sooooo much, she was quite rude and in a rush to 'sort me out' so to speak. I had to idea the swab was that big!!!!! She shoved it in and I was expecting an uncomfortable feeling but she was rough and it hurt quite a bit. Then she took a blood test, while the needle was in my arm she kept moving it side to side which wasnt pleasant either.

She then gives me 2 cups to pee in and once im done put then in a hatch where they are collected. So I go into the toilet with my cups and concentrate to pee in the cups and not all over the walls. As I start the pee the hatch opens and she asks me to hurry up (bearing in mind i had been in there about 10 seconds) so I carry on in my own take and put the cups in the hatch then went back to the waiting room (rather uncomfortable as my penis felt a little sore).

About 30 minutes later the doctor calls me again and to my relief gives me the all clear. On my way out I ask the lady at reception if I could get any condoms but she told me they dont give them out so I walked out with a sore penis and a happy result.

......The reason for me writing this is because before I went to the clinic I couldnt find much information online about the process of getting tested so I thought I would share my experience. My question is, has anyone else come out with a sore penis or did I just get a bad day?

Comments

• Options
    i should think any lad would have a sore penis after having something shoved up it!
  • Options
    i should think any lad would have a sore penis after having something shoved up it!

i feel bad just thinking about that lol :nervous:
  • Options
    have any girls been who wanna share their experience?
  • Options
    Dinted wrote:
    have any girls been who wanna share their experience?

Yes I'm sure they'll be a whole que of girls wanting to share their experiences of being tested for sexually transmitted diseases.

Hands up girls

ETA - sorry that came out a lot more sarcastic (ruder) than I had meant it :blush: In a bad mood but didn't mean to take the piss
  • Options
    Suppose I can share my experience.
    Well bascially, I went for peace of mind as well.
    I went a couple months ago (About that)
    Anyways, I was nervous as well as it was my first visit so I brought a friend with me. First of all the girl at reception give me a form I had to fill in.
    After that, I was called in to the doctor/nurse. Not sure who she was. Anyways, she first of all asked me a few questions about my sexual partners. Probably to give them an idea in how much at risk I was. Then, she took my blood and afterwards I had to lay down as she took a few swabs from me. It wasn't too sore. It was more uncomfortable that anything else. Though the woman that did it, was very nice and helped me relax by talking about other things.

At first she was concerned about some discharge she found so she said she was going to look through the microscope there and then while I sat in the waiting room. Obviously at this point, I was worried. Not sitting for too long, she brought me back in and said so far everything looks healthy but I'll get the rest of my results next week. They told me, if they were to find anything, they'd phone me, so there shouldn't really be any need for me to phone them.

And thankfully I found out I was in the clear.
    So that's my story.
  • Options
    Went to St Mary's walk in clinic.

Had a consultation, then waited. Bloods taken, swabs done, then more waiting. Preliminary results, and went on my way.

The swabs can hurt like a bitch, especially the one taken for the trich parasite in the urethra - it stung for about 24 hours. It'll pass.

Peace of mind, rather like sex, is a beautiful thing.
  • Options
    I always go get checked out-even if its a non sex related issue but a downstairs female type thing-its free, its more experienced people than my gp and its a lot less hassle. free condoms too-which is strange they didn't give them out at yours rudebwoy-they even have them in the loo at mine-like you have to have one to get out the place!

Anyway I as a girl find it ok. Not stressful-hardest part is getting my less than felxible body onto the bed and into the stirrup things! The thing that hurts most as already said is the wee wee swab! Yowza. Stings! The other one feels like having a smear. It will only hurt if you tense so pretend theres nowt going on. I tend to chat about anything to just take my mind off the task. The only times its been weord is when the doc had a "feel" to ensure no lumps. But it was in my best interest.

I have to say the only time its been rough is when i had a male doc. The female one is more gentle-whether this is this individual consultant or men in general I don't know.

I find the waiting aorund before awful as you get people facing eachother as they set the waiting room up with chairs in a sqare facing ecahother-much prefer rows!

They have a lot of friendly laid back nurses at mine and are very very understanding. They will have seen and heard so much worse than you-remember they get to see people who work the streets so they won't judge you on your 5 one night stands! They will give you many condoms (well hopefully!)

I saw a guy get tested on a bbc3 show (can't think of name) based in both la and australia. They showed how the guy got swabbed and I do think it looked a bit more painful than for a girl-well our hole is bigger so to speak!
  • Options
    :) if i ever need to go, at least i know what to expect.

Thanks everyone who has shared their experience.
  • Options
    My memory of the humiliating swabs, the long wait, uncomfortable silence in the waiting room and the whole ankles in funny device thing is blurred by the memory of my best friend - getting seen to in the next room - who broke the silence by screaming in a broad belfast accent,

"n where do ya think yer puttin THAT fing?!"

bless her. :lol:
  • Options
    They was quite rude to me, the female nurse must of been having a bad day and she was rushing to take my blood and do the swab.

Ohh by the way my penis feels ok now :)

Yeh they said they dont give out free condoms (which is mainly why I went). Maybe they only give them to girls?? I dunno.

Anyway I hope these little stories help people who wish to get checked out now or in the future.
  • Options
    My memory of the humiliating swabs, the long wait, uncomfortable silence in the waiting room and the whole ankles in funny device thing is blurred by the memory of my best friend - getting seen to in the next room - who broke the silence by screaming in a broad belfast accent,

"n where do ya think yer puttin THAT fing?!"

bless her. :lol:

:lol:
    That made me laugh loads there. Cause that's something I would come of with. hehe
  • Options
    I've been meaning to go to the GUM, but my boyfriend took it totally the wrong way when I told him I wanted to go. :banghead:

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences. :)
  • Options
    RudeBwoy wrote:
    They was quite rude to me, the female nurse must of been having a bad day and she was rushing to take my blood and do the swab.

Ohh by the way my penis feels ok now :)

Yeh they said they dont give out free condoms (which is mainly why I went). Maybe they only give them to girls?? I dunno.

Anyway I hope these little stories help people who wish to get checked out now or in the future.
    Yeh, they are supposed to give condoms to anyone who needs them. That's one of the main reasons they are there for, so if I were you, i'd complain. Well out of order.
  • Options
    chan-chan wrote:
    Yeh, they are supposed to give condoms to anyone who needs them. That's one of the main reasons they are there for, so if I were you, i'd complain. Well out of order.

Thats what I thought but i didnt get any and thats why i went lol.
    Im not gonna complain, they are only there to try and help people but i guess im one of the few that they dont bother with. Ah well my loss...
  • Options
    I go fairly often. I have unfortunately had the unpleasantness of having something. I found the staff very friendly, and one of them I befriended. She was very nice. Was made tofeel very comfortable.. was ok.
  • Options
    Random question: Do you book appointments or are they generally just drop-in? Ive been meaning to go for a while, I dont think its likely, but then you open up just about any mag and they give you all the stats and you start thinking "hmm... what if". But its just the hurdle of walking in that gets to me.
  • Options
    Random question: Do you book appointments or are they generally just drop-in? Ive been meaning to go for a while, I dont think its likely, but then you open up just about any mag and they give you all the stats and you start thinking "hmm... what if". But its just the hurdle of walking in that gets to me.

Hi when I used to go to the local Family Planning clinic they'd ask at the desk if you had an appointment, and if not they'd take your details and put them in the "non-appointment" pile, and you'd just have to wait until there was a free space inbetween actual appointments. If it was an emergency they'd squeeze you in ASAP, but much easier to just book an appointment in my opinion. There's probably loads of places where you can just drop-in though.
  • Options
    Probably easier to book an appointment, my clinic was suprisingly on time and you wont have to wait around worrying if you walk in.