Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I dunno if this is supposed to be in here but......

My hair gets soooooo greasy, I have to wash it every day, if I dont then it just looks like a chip pan! :lol:

I dont put alot of products on it, I only use Lee Stafford spray for when I straighten it. Has anyone got any tips to help it less greasy?? I dont use cheap shampoo, I have used shampoo for greasy hair, but it doesnt work!!

:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    isnt dry shampoo supposed to help?
  • Options
    Dry shampoo??? I aint herd of it!
  • Options
    Maybe you need to use a much gentler shampoo, such a one for babies, as using harsh products on the scalp might be overstimulating the oil glands. Letting it dry naurally will help too I reckon.
  • Options
    Bumble and bumble hair powder is recommended by many magazines and hair and beauty websites. It's a bit like talcum powder, but it's coloured (so you either get it for blonde, brunette or red hair, whichever you are). The idea of it is that you use it when you haven't got time to wash your hair or are short of time when getting ready to go out - it's supposed to add "a day of life to your style" (I think that's what the site says!).

Not a long term solution, I know, but might be handy to have when you need to get ready in a hurry! I don't have greasy hair (just curly and frizzy, sadly! :() so I wouldn't know which shampoo to suggest...
  • Options
    I was washing my hair every other day, and using dry shampoo (which takes the worse of it away). But it only improved properly when I went on the pill, I can nowwash my hair every 4 days and it still looks good.
  • Options
    from experience, shampoo for greasy hair makes things worse. you don't use conditioner do you? if you do, don't use it on the roots as this'll make your hair look greasy. and make sure you don't get any of that lee stafford stuff you use at the roots, either. you'll just have to experiment with shampoos for a while, i must've spent a fortune buying and testing loads of them! try doing a search in here, or on the fashion boards..there will be a few threads on it.
  • Options
    Bumble and bumble hair powder is recommended by many magazines and hair and beauty websites. It's a bit like talcum powder, but it's coloured (so you either get it for blonde, brunette or red hair, whichever you are). The idea of it is that you use it when you haven't got time to wash your hair or are short of time when getting ready to go out - it's supposed to add "a day of life to your style" (I think that's what the site says!).

But where do you get it?
  • Options
    Lots of online suppliers do it, just put "Bumble and bumble" into a search engine.

I don't know if they have an online store at www.bumbleandbumble.com, but the website lists all their products.

Tho I happen to know hqhair.com don't do it - well, don't now (I got mine from there about a year ago but I looked tonight and they don't have it).
  • Options
    yeah Mine improved on the pill, I remember learning at gcse its hormones and glands in your head that make it greasier. I used to have it bad, dont wash your hair every day though! you can get shampoos for greasy hair but I find gentle ones, or ones for 'normal hair' are best as they balance it out.
    talcum powder is good for drying out roots! apply a little bit and brush it out so your not left with white hair hehe
  • Options
    I have exactly the same problem, i tried just about everything but nothing works. Now i've just given in and wash my hair every day, its a nuisence and means i have to get up earlier, but what else can i do?
  • Options
    i was washing mine every day at 1 point, but i realised it was getting worse. it still get greasy but i only have to wash it every 2 days now because i gave it a break, but i realised some shampoos made it worse aswell (tresemme was awful on my hair), you just have to experiment
  • Options
    you really shouldnt wash it everyday! It does some thing to natural oils, best thing is to try normal shampoos.
  • Options
    tresseme makes my hair greasy as do lee stafford products, which is a shame as they smell the nicest.
  • Options
    boots do a lovely shampoo, i use a honey one. smells nice too. i also use a charles worthington one called dream hair. they both cost around £5 but definatley worth it.
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of Sunsilk at the moment.
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of Sunsilk at the moment.

My mate at work said about sunsilk, they so a non grease shampoo or somert, might give it a try!
  • Options
    Tresemme works best on dry hair like mine, which is almost totally devoid of oil - it seems to add a bit of natural oil and shine, instead of my hair being as dry as the Sahara - so I have the opposite problem to you!

Perhaps you should try giving your hair 2-3 day breaks between. Did you know that if you don't wash your hair for four to five weeks it naturally cleanses and regenerates itself anyway? I know it sounds manky but apparently it works - The Daily Mail even did a feature on it so it must be true! Joking aside lots of people with straight greasy hair who did this said it helped their sebaceous glands regulate themselves better and not go into overdrive. Even afro hair like mine starts to cleanse itself by finally producing oil after about four weeks without washing. But it seems like a pretty harsh way to regulate. Maybe you should try Sunsilk or Fructis - these products always seemd to dry out my hair that's for sure/. Herbal Essences is also good generally. If you can afford Body Shop they may have a good shampoo that will sort your hair out - perhaps somthing with an astringent in it. I know their manuka shampoo which is anti-bacterial etc. is very good. It's made from Zimbabwean Manuka honey and will leave your hair feeling very clean afterwards.
  • Options
    Hey, yeah my hair is pretty greasy but I found that washing it everyday made it worse! Instead bear with it on the second day and put a bit of normal talcon powder on the roots and kind of mix it in so it doesn't look white and it will take away that shine! Apart from that, yeah , try and avoid putting conditioner on the roots!

I don't know it this would work, but I noticed when I was on holiday and I went to the beach everyday that my hair didn't look at all greasy for the whole week without washing it! Maybe salt water is good?

Hope that helped!! :)
  • Options
    I have the same problem. I agree with what people have said about not putting conditioner on your roots just put it on the ends. i also have to wash mine every day.
  • Options
    Briony wrote:
    I dunno if this is supposed to be in here but......

My hair gets soooooo greasy, I have to wash it every day, if I dont then it just looks like a chip pan! :lol:

I dont put alot of products on it, I only use Lee Stafford spray for when I straighten it. Has anyone got any tips to help it less greasy?? I dont use cheap shampoo, I have used shampoo for greasy hair, but it doesnt work!!

:thumb:

its maybe because you of how often you wash it, washing your hair everday washes out the natural oils, thats why you shouldnt wash it everyday.
  • Options
    I don't get greasy hair THAT easily but I used my boyf's sisters Sunsilk stuff - it says "for hair that gets greasy too quickly" and it was good!
  • Options
    only wash every other day

when you wash, dont massage at the roots

only use a light conditioner at the ends

and dont use a shampoo that claims to cure greasy hair, they are too strong and will only irritate the problem. washing all the grease away will make your glands want to produce more. use a gentle shampoo

dont touch your hair too much

i can almost guarantee that this will cure it, if you can stick it out for a bit and resist the urge to wash and scrub every day