Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

It's results time.....so of course exams are getting easier.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Here we go again.... Probably said exactly the same last year, but i really do hate this. I busted my balls in order to get good grades and it's horrible to be told by the media and it seems the Conservative Party that exams are easy. I bet none of those fuckers could sit down and and get an A in an A Level exam. :mad:

Comments

• Options
    statistics don't lie though renzo, if 22% of students are are getting A's at A level compared to 8% in 1982, does that mean our brains are bigger or that teaching has actually improved so vastly? i am skeptical.......
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Here we go again.... Probably said exactly the same last year, but i really do hate this. I busted my balls in order to get good grades and it's horrible to be told by the media and it seems the Conservative Party that exams are easy. I bet none of those fuckers could sit down and and get an A in an A Level exam. :mad:

Except most of them have :rolleyes: .

What's the point in complaining anyway? Easier exams are in your interest, especially if you had to bust your balls for the desired results.

Standards probably have lowered throughout education, in order to accommodate more people. I know some proper airheads who thus far have done fine at university - and these people are genuinely dimwitted.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    statistics don't lie though renzo, if 22% of students are are getting A's at A level compared to 8% in 1982, does that mean our brains are bigger or that teaching has actually improved so vastly? i am skeptical.......

20 years is a long time. Why is it so strange that people might be doing better as a result of a better education system?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    20 years is a long time. Why is it so strange that people might be doing better as a result of a better education system?

yes but a threefold increase? c'mon........i don't think college was that taxing personally, boring yes.......
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Actual studies show they are not getting easier apparently, its jsut more people are passing them... and the style of eduction has changed so you learn more.

No idea myself. Lets just hope I even pass the first year of college.
  • Options
    They are definitely getting easier.

Renzo, have you ever compared, for example, an old school A Level history paper to the oens they set now? No comparison, the new one is far easier.
  • Options
    The style of question has changed in more modern exams, usually to shorter rather than extended answers. This was intended to allow greater coverage of the curriculum, but is at the expense of depth and understanding. Teachers are also learning to predict questions and emphasise them accordingly. With a good memory you can now answer most questions rather than having to expand upon and explain concepts and studies and a right answer obtains maximum marks rather than being graded, hence we're struggling to choose between the bright and very bright. An extension paper similar in style to the old exams is what is needed.
  • Options
    They are definitely getting easier.

Renzo, have you ever compared, for example, an old school A Level history paper to the oens they set now? No comparison, the new one is far easier.

I have not. But I challenge anyone who says I only got ABB in my A Levels because they were 'easy' The amount of effort in learning, coursework and revision time I put in to those things to get those grades was phenomenal and I put 100% effort in.
  • Options
    exams are not getting easier!
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I have not. But I challenge anyone who says I only got ABB in my A Levels because they were 'easy' The amount of effort in learning, coursework and revision time I put in to those things to get those grades was phenomenal and I put 100% effort in.

Mine must have been easier then, I got four A grades for doing essentially none.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    The style of question has changed in more modern exams, usually to shorter rather than extended answers. This was intended to allow greater coverage of the curriculum, but is at the expense of depth and understanding. Teachers are also learning to predict questions and emphasise them accordingly. With a good memory you can now answer most questions rather than having to expand upon and explain concepts and studies and a right answer obtains maximum marks rather than being graded, hence we're struggling to choose between the bright and very bright. An extension paper similar in style to the old exams is what is needed.

i think that's spot on regarding exams anyways, all you have to do is memorise the correct answers, the teachers will give not very subtle hints about what the core topics will be.........and presto you got an A. doesn't matter if you don't remember any of it a week later, you're a master in regurgitation......coursework is fairly difficult, but again you are so carefully guided as to exactly what needs to be done to get the marks, and you get to do several drafts to make sure you've got top marks..........that was the case for me anyways........lots of second chances.....
  • Options
    Yup, same here ginner/

New a levels are a doss compared to the old ones.
  • Options
    i took my A levels in the years just before this whole AS/A2 business, when everything was starting to change, and i could really tell the difference bewteen the new style exams and the old ones.

it's not necessarily that the exams were easier to do - they were fairly similar, but it was much easier to get a high grade. things like shifting grade boundaries, amount of marks per question, marks for spelling/grammar. they also didn't try and catch you out as much as the old style did.

GCSEs are a bit of a joke these days though. i have a cousin who has mental health issues, and has a mental age of somewhere around 11/12. he did try hard at school, but we honestly didn't think he'd get anything above a C. turned out he got more GCSEs, and with better grades, than people i know my age who are pretty intelligent. so i'm not really buying that they're as hard as they always were.
  • Options
    I, personaly, don't doubt GCSE's are easier. They seemed a joke really, and I don't doubt if I had a teacher at all for Tech, (Systems and Control, I did.) I could have done beter than a D. I learned most of it off one of the rather bright other pupils, haha. So did nearly everyone.

But yeah, getting mostly A's and B's was easy, even in the subjects I sturggled in. C in French, but, That was counting the fact that they did our listening throguh a BASS AMPLIFIER. Turning everything, inevitabley, into a mumble. :rolleyes:

Yeah, our school is that good.
  • Options
    There has been a year-on-year increase in the number of passes for decades now.

So you either have to accept that this years kids are brighter than last years, or that the marking rules change.

Experience in employing people would suggest that the former isn't true...
  • Options
    So you either have to accept that this years kids are brighter than last years, or that the marking rules change.

It could also be better teaching methods - though I don't believe that either.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    It could also be better teaching methods - though I don't believe that either.

Me neither, and I work in schools.
  • Options
    Shocking how hard it is to find old exam papers on the web - but anyway here's some examples of A and O levels from 1959/1960

http://www.stevehammonds.net/Aberdare/DrewH/Exams/exam_papers.htm

And I think it can be unfair to blame teachers for the focus on teaching just to pass exams better - the introduction of school league tables inevitably means that schools are pressured into focusing on exam results, and teaching methods that provide those results, rather than a wider understanding of the subjects.
  • Options
    Actually, got to laugh, I love the way on the papers a certain number of Welsh questions are provided (the papers are for a Welsh student) but only the specifically Welsh questions are translated and not the others.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Renzo wrote:
    But I challenge anyone who says I only got ABB in my A Levels because they were 'easy'

Not many people her are saying they're easy, just that they're easier!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Shocking how hard it is to find old exam papers on the web - but anyway here's some examples of A and O levels from 1959/1960

And I think it can be unfair to blame teachers for the focus on teaching just to pass exams better - the introduction of school league tables inevitably means that schools are pressured into focusing on exam results, and teaching methods that provide those results, rather than a wider understanding of the subjects.

Agreed. A good point, well made. I don't think league tables will be around in ten years.
  • Options
    Yeah, come to think of it, I noticed in school we worked far more towards passing exams rahter than an understnading of the subject - it was for us to spend our own time thinking why,rather than in school "You need to know X, Y and Z, not why X and Y interact and Z doesn't, just that they do."

We were under alot of pressure to pass, rather than understnad. Which, pissed me off abit. We would jsut study the parts of Plays that we would likley be questioned on, so I read the wholething at home. :/
  • Options
    you cant win.....they moan if people do well, yet if the numbers started to fall they'd moan about that....the pressure is already bad enough to do well, it doesnt need increasing with harder exams
  • Options
    its a mix of things really

- more people in further education doing what theyre best at and competing for best marks, result being higher marks

- more people being trained for their exams ie going over old papers continously (mainly at middle class areas, i do it as my part time work)

- more schools training their student to do exams instead of understanding the subjects, its why universities complain at the quality of students they recieve cause the students obviously forget it if theyve been trained to let it all out on the exam day

- exam question style altered to be a series of short questions then a long one so it provides more help in a strange intuitive way of what youre doing overall

and you cant compare grades from 20 yrs ago to nowadays simply because they are no longer marked in the percentile system ie 35% were guranteed to fail no matter how well they done, now days the grade boundaries are shifted according to how well people do overall but within fixed limits so around the same % get a certain grade

and i done old exam papers from the 80s just as well as i done ones from the 90s when i took my A levels in 2001

remember 95% of statistics are useless :p

ps just had a look at the o levels maths papers, and they were like the 1st unit of a levels maths i done, however its actually similar to top set maths i done at school my teacher taught us even if it wasnt necesserily on the syllabus but just to give us an understanding

heres an old gcse paper from last year http://www.gcsemathspastpapers.com/p5j04allqs.htm - not too dissimilar, actually and thats the higher paper

in short its about structure, but mainly exam training that has caused this since people place so much emphisis on exam results not what you really know means people will revert to exam training
  • Options
    this is more important http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4151730.stm

and like it says at bottom, the fact people get 50% of their grade in 1st year, means theres more resits, and people are more ready to do exams in 2nd year
    personally id like them to make 2nd year worth 65% of grade and 1st year 35%
  • Options
    if alevels are easy, wouldnt every one be getting higher passes! they are not easy, admittedly GCSE's are, but alevels are not! I got a/b's at gcse, now im getting mostly D's and I work my ass off!
  • Options
    billybob87 wrote:
    if alevels are easy, wouldnt every one be getting higher passes! they are not easy, admittedly GCSE's are, but alevels are not! I got a/b's at gcse, now im getting mostly D's and I work my ass off!

This is true. The media and the like are always complaining "96% people pass omg!" but I would guess that a high percentage of these people passing are getting D's and E's....
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    This is true. The media and the like are always complaining "96% people pass omg!" but I would guess that a high percentage of these people passing are getting D's and E's....

most people at my college were amazed to get a C

a pass means A-E which means sod all really since id rather get a U then an E
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:

That 1960 Geography A-level paper looks considerably easier than the ones I took four years ago to be honest.

There is a clear difference in styles of examining as well. That 1960 paper is asking for diagrams which at A-level is slightly ridiculous frankly........
  • Options
    I dont think you would, atleast some uni's accept e's, u's are failures and can do absolutely nothing with them. Id rather pass than fail no matter what the grade.