Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Medicine site

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is there a UK site where all the medicines distributed in the UK are listed?
I want to check if I can get hold of my medicines once I arrive :)

Comments

• Options
    I could be talking nonsense, but isn't it one thing for a drug to be licensed for distribution in the UK, but another for you to actually be able to get hold of that precise one? Like, there are manufacturers of aspirin but one surgery might get them from X manufacturer and another surgery in another Health Authority area might get them from another because one is cheaper than the other, so for budget reasons for example?

Maybe it would be an idea to check with the surgery you're going to be registering with (if you already know which it is)?
  • Options
    Would you like me to check for you? I have an up to date version of MIMS which is what a drug book that doctors use to check what they can prescribe etc.

Even if your drugs aren't available here under the same brand name I'm pretty sure they'll be available here with a different name.

You could also try the MIMS website here but you'll need to register
  • Options
    I could be talking nonsense, but isn't it one thing for a drug to be licensed for distribution in the UK, but another for you to actually be able to get hold of that precise one? Like, there are manufacturers of aspirin but one surgery might get them from X manufacturer and another surgery in another Health Authority area might get them from another because one is cheaper than the other, so for budget reasons for example?

Maybe it would be an idea to check with the surgery you're going to be registering with (if you already know which it is)?

Surgeries usually prescribe the generic version of any drug because it is cheaper and the dispensing pharmacist decides which brand to give.

So your GP could prescribe you 'aspirin' but the pharmacist will decide which drug company's aspirin you receive... most of the time you won't even be aware with something as simple as aspirin which brand you have.

An easier way to describe it for those who can't grasp it is it's like chocolate. Your doctor gives you a prescription for 'chocolate' (generic) and the pharmacist decides between Dairy Milk, Galaxy and Yorkie (brands). :)
  • Options
    Good ol BNF website. This is definitive guide to current medicines and their dosages. All prescribers get this book bi-annually.

www.bnf.org
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Your doctor gives you a prescription for Chocolate

Why can't that ever happen?? :(