Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tattoo after care

I think this should go here, cos like tattoos are fashion right? I got my tattoo last week. All the scabs have now come off and stuff and I'm putting cream on it 3 times a day like I've been told to. Thing is its really itchy. I know its not the cream thats doing it cos my hands are fine. How long till I can give it a propper scratch? I've just started letting it get wet in the shower again so its not cos its dirty or anything. It said on the after care thingy that I musn't strech the skin as the tat will go all weird and wonky. Will itching it make it go wonky?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    itchy is good, cause an itch usually means skin is healing.

if all the scabs are gone and it looks good, try using E45 anti-itch cream. that way you still get the benefit of cream and less itch.

and if you need to relieve, instead of scratching, trying slapping. sounds ridiculous, but it can have the same effect as a good scratch without the risk of damaging your newly healed skin.
  • Options
    also just thought i'd add, try rubbing ice on it...that tends to get rid of itchyness for a while ;)
  • Options
    Also, have you tried taking paracetamol? It souunds daft, but for persistent itching it can dampen down the nerves that are causing the itch.
  • Options
    I had mine done last week and as instructed i used savlon on it twice a day andshowered and bathed as normal,its on the bottom of my back so i couldnt avoid stretching the skin what with work and everything all the scabs have gone and when it itches i scartch it(lightly) and it still looks fab,are other people taking care of theirs too much or did i not take care of mine enough?
    i wastold after 8days it had no need for constant aftercare just normal washing:|
  • Options
    I wasn't told to use anything but water on mine (had it done last Tues) and so far it's fine and the scab's healed nicely. Do you think I should go back and ask them if I should be using antiseptic or owt?
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    I wasn't told to use anything but water on mine (had it done last Tues) and so far it's fine and the scab's healed nicely. Do you think I should go back and ask them if I should be using antiseptic or owt?
    I had mine done last tuesday and used savlon and its healed now im just using water but if its healed surely its ok?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There is a bit of stuff in this article from the BME zine website (towards the middle of the page) about tattoo aftercare - but it says the three golden rules are -
    o Moiturize it
    o Don't overmoisturize it
    o And whatever you do, Don't pick your scabs!

But if you aren't sure, then give your tattooist a call and check with them.