Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

how many here have had glandular fever?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had it last september, was put in hospital for a week on a drip (also had quinzy at the time which is puss filled absess at the back of the throat)

Im just curious to how bad other people suffered with it? It took me months to recover!

x x x x

Comments

• Options
    I had it when I was about 16, it floored me for a few months. It was about 18 months before I felt anything like my old self again. I was never hospitalised but it came close to it a few times, nasty illness.
  • Options
    indeed, hated it! and the annoying thing was because its known as the 'kissing disease' every one thought it was cos I had snogged boys, but it was just cos i always get ill! I had tonsilitus 6 times that year! was due to have them out when I went in ill,so I didnt have the op untill february this year.
  • Options
    I had it when I was 17, just as I was starting my first year at sixth form, took months for me to stop feelng drained.
  • Options
    My cousin (17) knew some one who had it, and it led to her organs packing in. she died!
  • Options
    i had it when i was about 9/10, took me forever to get better - and i've noticed since then, i get out of breath quicker than i used to.
  • Options
    I slept 18 hours a day, I would get soo tired. For example, I walked up the stairs to have a shower, I then was knackered and fell asleep for 3hours!
  • Options
    its a horrible thing ive had mates who've had it, the doctors thought i had it at one point because i had terrible problems with my tonsils, was getting tonsilitus for like 2 weeks out of every month, it was killing me. ive now had em removed since april and i havent had any problems with them since! woo
  • Options
    Had it several years ago and it took a good 6 months + to get better.
  • Options
    I had it about 18 months ago and it took about 6 months to get back to normal. I only had a week off work but it was over Christmas so had holidays booked anyway. It's a nasty illness and can effect you for ages afterwards.

Hope you feel better soon, it seems you've had a particularly nasty bout!
  • Options
    I had it when I was in primary school, had tonsilitus at the same time too :(
  • Options
    I was told by my doc I had a mini version of it - basically I had all the symptoms - I had tonsolitis, conjuctivitis and something else all at the same time. I had it for near on a month and then just was hit constantly by severe tiredness whilst 'recovering'. I've never been quite right since. I get tired very quickly, I have low immunity and suffer often with throat problems.

Anyway, yeah - pretty nasty. Had it when I was tiny as well, can't remember that though! :)
  • Options
    A boyfriend of mine had it once, he pretty much failed his GCSE's because of the time he missed from school. Was bit scared I had it too, I went through a similar stage at college but I had other things on my mind and didn't do much about it.

Pretty nasty thing though.
  • Options
    I had it a few years ago, didn't like the fact that i couldn't swallow properly for ages, though i recovered much quicker than most of you lot, only lasted a month at the most
  • Options
    me.

had it a few summers ago. was nearly hospitalised as my throat nearly closed up but my mum's an F grade nurse or something so knows what she's on about and looked after me and made sure i had my nasty medicine that i didn't like. :yuck:
  • Options
    I had it about 8 months ago.... since then I've been a nightmare when it comes to energy, though I'm getting better. Wasn't properly hospitalized as my mum has a thing about our local hospital, but I was rushed to A&E at one point.... I don't honestly remember much of that, other than my boyfriend going mad that I didn't phone him at work
    Ballerina wrote:
    and i've noticed since then, i get out of breath quicker than i used to.

Since I've had it, I've (re)developed Asthma... I had it when I was like 5 but it went away? Since January I'm dependant on my inhalers. :crying: