Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

It's not about "those people"...it's those technologies.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
First of all this is a question I'm asking the board. I have no background in...actually anything but school...not law enforcement or stopping terrorists. But my dad was having a discussion I thought was worth sharing.

Hope I say this right. Without doubt there are people right now who belong to a specific group who we most have to look out for in the West. BUT. There's another way to look at this challenge or if you call it war on terror...whatever you want to call it.

What if we ask this question of our leaders. With the rise of information sharing via the Internet, cell phones etc. why didn't anyone in our governments foresee that some people would use all of that information to meet other people who share their point of view and create plans/explosives to do evil -to fight people they saw as their enemy?Plus explosives have advanced too....but again it's not just the explosives but the information on how to make the explosives being shared that's the problem. So isn't it more valid (hope I'm making sense :nervous: ) to acknowledge(?) that yes right now we are fighting these extremists...but if all this information is going to be made available to everyone...shouldn't technology also be used to protect our societies from anyone who could use it in an evil way. Long term...isn't the problem about "those" technologies and not "those" people?

ANNND. If it is about the technologies...what the heck are we doing in Iraq.

Comments

• Options
    I aren't sure what on earth you're asking, but the bombs used in London couldn't have been much more crude.
  • Options
    Bomb making instructions on the internet is very far from a new thing, I've heard people decrying what is available for at least 10 years or more.

And no, we should not censor the Internet in any heavy handed way, it would massively stunt its growth and put power into the hands of those who shouldnt have it.
  • Options
    I have no idea what you ar asking....
  • Options
    I thought the reality was that other than constructing a pretty poor and risky pipe bomb most of the information on internet was useless. Certainly I saw either Ian Blair or another high ranking police officer say he didn't have any concern about terrorists getting information about making bombs from the internet.
  • Options
    I think it's being asked what do we do about the technology that extremists use to actually meet up in the first place.

Pre-t'internet someone who hated the "Uk government" and wnated to blow themselves up would be a lone nut. With the internet he can find people who are likeminded with relative ease.

Cell phones allow them to co-ordinate etc.

Technology is just a facilitator though, it makes life easier for whoever uses it, no matter their aims. I don't think it's worth scrificing the freedom of 60 million people because a handful have died.

1) It won't stop terrorism.

2) It gives yet more power to grown up children who have proved over and over again they shouldn't have any.
  • Options
    I guess what made me think of this too is that the current two hour Al Qaeda tape being broadcast in the Middle East features an Australian. He supposedly hooked up with Al Qaeda people while on duty in Afghanistan and then went AWOL from the Australian Army. It's seems like the cats always out of the bag with technology...and it's doing a lot of good...but creating an era of random attacks worldwide.
  • Options
    creating an era of random attacks worldwide.

Typical American, thinking that terrorism started in 1993.
  • Options
    you can walk into a pulic library and obtain the process required to make bombs like those used in the first wave of the recent London bombings.

Clearly the problem is not the Internet, but making information available to people at all.

We need to go back to a time when only the important and trusted could read. Just ask the khmer rouge.
  • Options
    what the fuck does the internet have to do with it?
    people have been blowing each other up for fucking generations ...i blame the chineesee
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ugh, Terrorism is hte use of crude, simple weapons against a well established enemey in a guerilla style war. Its the only way to fight when you lack any good stuff.

Only technological challger is Russia and China, and only one has a decent armed forces.
  • Options
    I think he's saying that we blame the terrorists without considering the fact that intelligence didn't pick up on the plans?
  • Options
    my chemistry textbooks mention how to prepare nitroglycerine.....

you need degree level knowledge to get it though, and industry standard equipment
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Ugh, Terrorism is hte use of crude, simple weapons against a well established enemey in a guerilla style war. Its the only way to fight when you lack any good stuff.

Only technological challger is Russia and China, and only one has a decent armed forces.

To be fair, terrorism is the use of weapons to create terror and fear, in the hope of changing the actions of another when there isn't enough force to do it.

A guerilla style war is a guerilla war, not terrorism - haven't you been reading your Che?
  • Options
    I think its quite fair to say it would be difficult and dangerous to create explosives (that are powerful enough to do some real damage) from the internet. You would have to some experience/in depth knowledge about such things. I've only heard bad things from people who have attempted to make explosives based on things they have founed on the internet.

As for the technology thing, considering how fast technology is advancing, it wont be long until someone using that technology to organise terrorism could be easily tracked and caught.

Plus, you gotta remember, i think these technologies do a lot more good than they do bad.
  • Options
    This boils down to do the good points outweigh the bad ones surely?

Does the benefits of the internet outweigh the chance that people might misuse it to help organise terrorist attacks?

same with mobile phones.
  • Options
    same with mobile phones.
    and cars and planes and stuff ...blaming technology is no brainer.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    To be fair, terrorism is the use of weapons to create terror and fear, in the hope of changing the actions of another when there isn't enough force to do it.

A guerilla style war is a guerilla war, not terrorism - haven't you been reading your Che?

I always thought that the terrorists used the art of guerilla war themselves too, for a different means. Same tactics, differnt goal. They only want to make people fear and pay attention to their group, so carry out dispicable acts in a hit and run manner. Or kill themselves doing it. But the two bear similar means, only one aims not to change so much and instill fear int o the enemy.
  • Options
    Well I'd say that terrorism is a tactic that could be part of a guerilla war, but a guerilla war is automatically one of terrorism - for example much of the Russian resistance to Napoleon after the taking of Moscow (including its buring to the ground and the order for all Serfs to attack the French) could be considered part of guerilla war (which is to say an asymetirical conflict in which is characterised by one side which doesn't directly engage the enemy, or identify itself by uniform as an army). However the actions didn't involve anything you'd consider terrorism. On the other hand despite the use of the term 'IRA guerilla' or 'Loyalist guerilla' by American news channels when talking about the troubles many would describe post-70s violence in Northern Ireland as mainly involving terrorist tactics, rather than the more guerilla tactics seen in the conflict following the Easter uprisings end in 1916 (with the flying columns dominance of the country side).

So guerilla war is an overall method of warfare, which may choose to use terrorism, which is a tool, as horrible as that may be, rather than an overall definition of a conflict. It could also be argued that tactics such as the Nazi's execution of 100 people in any village where 1 solider was killed could be seen as deliberately trying to cause terror and fear to suppress a population.
  • Options
    Yeah, thats what I mean - All Guerillas are not terrorists, but some Terrorists are guerillas and use such tactics. Its all down to the choice of those fighting, and what they intend to achieve. Terror amougst people so they obey through fear - or to get them on thier side?