Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the problems of higher education

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4588023.stm

other eu countries going through the same problems

what do you think is the idea for this country

i liked the idea of making students pay up to £6000 a year under the top up repayment system and for the government to pay different amounts into different subjects they think are important so subjects which have no problems getting students like social sciences might make students pay more whilst things like medicine, nursing, sciences, maths, engineering, law etc (thats just an arbituary list i dont know how to arrange importance) this'll mean the students dont have to pay £14k a year to study subjects which are needed

and waiving part of the fees for those who decide to go ino teaching etc so not all maths graduates go into finance....

still needs a lot of work but thats the basic model id do

i dont like the idea of them taking foreign students mainly because its mainly taking the international rich and just as bad as the issue of class in universities

Comments

• Options
    £6000 a year, are you smoking crack?

You want to actually start telling people that because we've classified your career choice as less important you'll be subsidising the want to be doctor over there?
  • Options
    £6000 a year, are you smoking crack?

You want to actually start telling people that because we've classified your career choice as less important you'll be subsidising the want to be doctor over there?

no i specifically said id need to spend time thinking about how the government could give variable subsidy to courses

but £6000 a year in the current top up system is fair, part of the problems was the myths spread by the stupidly incompetant nus who didnt say itd be paid back as wages or that if it wasnt paid back in 25 years itd be cancelled, nor did they mention the potential grants etc mainly cause theyre career politicians from well off families doing crap subjects that give them enough time to do an almosty ful time job when im too busy studying to be doing any union work
  • Options
    no i specifically said id need to spend time thinking about how the government could give variable subsidy to courses

but £6000 a year in the current top up system is fair, part of the problems was the myths spread by the stupidly incompetant nus who didnt say itd be paid back as wages or that if it wasnt paid back in 25 years itd be cancelled, nor did they mention the potential grants etc mainly cause theyre career politicians from well off families doing crap subjects that give them enough time to do an almosty ful time job when im too busy studying to be doing any union work

Top up fees are just another calculated stab at peoples wallets. They soften the blow by trying to convince you that it's not "up-front" anymore and that you'll just start paying it back (at a minimum of 9% of your total wage) when you start earning £15,000 a year.

So you were paying upto £1150 pounds a year. Now you'll be paying up to £3000 (or so my reseach shows). So that's almost TRIPLE what was being paid before. The governments logic, and i quote:

"The government says graduates benefit from having gained a degree - through wider career opportunities and earnings - so ought to contribute something."

It's odious, plain and simple.
  • Options
    Top up fees are just another calculated stab at peoples wallets. They soften the blow by trying to convince you that it's not "up-front" anymore and that you'll just start paying it back (at a minimum of 9% of your total wage) when you start earning £15,000 a year.

So you were paying upto £1150 pounds a year. Now you'll be paying up to £3000 (or so my reseach shows). So that's almost TRIPLE what was being paid before. The governments logic, and i quote:

"The government says graduates benefit from having gained a degree - through wider career opportunities and earnings - so ought to contribute something."

It's odious, plain and simple.

well its actually affordable on a pay back later, instead of criticising how would you suggest we improve funding?
  • Options
    well, the solution is at least not raising the costs of higher education... If people are struggling to afford uni costs and doctors blabla how the hell are they going to afford tripple as mentioned before.. it's absurd even concidering that
  • Options
  • Options
    well its actually affordable on a pay back later, instead of criticising how would you suggest we improve funding?

Of course it's affordable; you'll be paying back over the next 10 years. You can make anything affordable as long as you extend the period of time that you pay it back over enough. My issue is that it's odious and immoral in the first place. Brighton University, which is where I’m currently studying certainly doesn’t struggle for money at all and even with my figures, which appear conservative in comparison to yours, they’d triple their income overnight!

You've been given the illusion that the Universities NEED this money, they don't, they're a business as well as an educational tool and they do very well at making money all by themselves.