Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Controversial Relationships

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
have anyone here been in a controversial relationship? loads of people frown upon others peoples relationships whether it be in the case of faith or just because they dont like the person. jus wanted to know if anyone has been in this situation and how they overcame it :eek2:

Comments

• Options
    My friends and parents ended up seriously dis-liking my ex boyfriend (with good reason)... I over-came it by sneaking around for 6 months so no-one knew I was seeing him. Something I wouldn't recommend as it just made me unhappy! If i was in the same situation again, I would seriously look at the reasons my close friends and family dis-liked the person and would listen to their views instead of going against them.

Ultimately though, it's your own decision what you do.
  • Options
    Why are you asking?

I only ask because if you are doing research for a project you need to ask a mod's permission first.
  • Options
    my whole family hated my first bf, bcos of how he treated me+the fact that he was arrogant, cocky+selfish! However, i didnt even know this until we split up! they were always nice to him, just for me :)
  • Options
    I started going out with a man 18 years older than me when I was 17. My mum wasn't happy. It wasn't so much the age gap, more the fact of how young and inexperienced I was. She came to accept it eventually. Everyone else accepted us, it was just my mum.

The relationship lasted 17 months, we're currently on a break from each other.
  • Options
    My Mum and Dad hated my ex. He was a stoner, fucked up in the head, and didn't have a clue about how to love me.

He treated me like SHITE. But I won, I walked away before he let go the reigns. Yeeha.
  • Options
    im asking coz my parents "frown upon" (i use the term loosely) my relationships and thats the main reason why ive really only had relatiionships with a couple of girls but they dont really know what im like :naughty: like at parties i got really pissed once and they thort i only had 4 beers but was more in the teens. it does make me feel guilty so ive stopped drinking so heavily now but hey it was an experience well actually more a lesson :yes:
  • Options
    At first, people were utterly astonished to find that I was dating a single mother. They just didn't know what to think!
  • Options
    I am currently in a controversial relationship. I love my boyfriend with all of my heart, he makes me so happy. Although my family think he's a lovely person, they are unhappy with me going out with him for two reasons: the first is that he is not a practicing christian. The second is that I have recently quit uni because of stress/depression caused by uni, he is the only person who has not told me im making a stupid decision. He was the person who held my hand at each hospital appointment, and who hugged me when I cried (constantly!) They think he should have made me stay there and that he isnt supporting me.

As for how I have overcome it, I havent. It currently is the only thing that gets me down in our relationship, and as we are now looking into moving in together it doesnt look like its gonna get any better. (family are very strict on no sex/living together before marriage)

Im sorry I cant give you better advice, but if you have anymore questions about a frowned upon relationship, I can try to help!

Also, any advice on whether im being harsh on my family, or what I can do, would be really appreciated!!!

Naomi. :)
  • Options
    dont worry that advice is good! yeh religion is a big thing for me aswell. im a sikh so my parents thing that it is wrong for me to have a relationship with girls so as for the relationship i did have it was a secret but didnt work so it was for the better for both of us that we stopped going out but were friends now and she wasnt the same religion. my parents are kinda old fashioned well my dad so he doesnt let me drink he thinks 1 beer is too much for me and im 15 but never mind just have to wait till uni nah i think college is good enough
  • Options
    Yeah, i always wonder if ive made things harder for myself now by going along with everything they said when I was younger. Im not telling you to suddenly get rebellious or anything, im just saying that im almost 22 now and im still living with what I consider as narrow minded control over my life. I have no idea how to stop it! I wonder if I had confronted them earlier, would it have got to this stage?

I suppose thats something im never going to know.......

Have a serious think about whether you think they will let up, or you are happy with the way things are, or you think you need to try and change it. Only you really know. Whatever works, ill be begging for advice!!! Am going to the estate agents with my boyfriend saturday, wait for the fireworks!!! :nervous: