Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shortening Jeans

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Mr Glittery has a pair of jeans that are just a tad too long, they drag on the ground over his shoes and according to him "make me look like a skater boy".

Soooo I was going to cut them, but will they start to fray and never stop? I dont want to have to start hemming and stuff (cos I cant :p) and I dont want to ruin them cos they're a nice pair of jeans.

Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    im afraid they'll fray if u just cut em, you'll have to hem them! sorry! however, there may be someone nr u that does that professionally, and it may not b too expensive!
  • Options
    say hello to mr wundaweb....in some places hemming tapes. iron on , no messing about.
  • Options
    normal denim doesn't fray a great deal. it will develop one of those slightly fringe-like edges (you must have had cut-off shorts with one) but it won't fray and fray and fray and get gradually shorter.

you can get away with just hacking off the bottoms if you don't mind the fringe look and trailing threads for a while, but for a neater look, hemming is the only way to go.
  • Options
    I'd totally forgotten about wonderweb! I used to wonderweb everything too. Im definitely not going to cut them now, they're the kind of jeans that can be dressed up or down, the frayed look wouldnt do well getting dressed up.

Thank you girlies :)
  • Options
    I dunno how strong wonderweb will be on denim. I often take my 22yr old sister's work trousers up and she always manages to bring the hems down again... :rolleyes:

I'd say a proper hem is the only option, if you want them to last...

Ilora x
  • Options
    I dunno how strong wonderweb will be on denim. I often take my 22yr old sister's work trousers up and she always manages to bring the hems down again... :rolleyes:

I'd say a proper hem is the only option, if you want them to last...

Ilora x
    Same. It falls down all the time :/
  • Options
    Pay a tailor to do a proper job of it? If they're nice jeans, it'll be worth it in the long run. Or, get someone with a sewing machine that can hack denim.