Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Low sex drive>the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi I've been on the pill for almost 4 years now. Recently my sex drive has shot down alot. My boyfriend thinks that I'm getting bored of him.But thats not it at all. I think its the pill......
Could someone please give me some advice on what contraceptive I should use and how to give my libido a boost.....
Thanks x

Comments

• Options
    If you have been on it for so long & never had a problem until now i doubt its the pill. Maybe a trip to your doc could help?
  • Options
    my flatmate did experience exactly the same thing after seven years on one type of pill. it could be that, it could be something else. there are many many factors which can effect sex drive - tiredness, stress,weight gain or loss etc etc. Best chatting to your GP.
  • Options
    wow, you sound like me! ive been on the same pill for about 4 years now, and it's never effected be before!
    nicebutdim23 - i didnt know weight loss could affect your sex drive. does it affect it alot if its gradual+healthy??
  • Options
    I remember watching The Wright Stuff (whilst off sick :blush: ) and they had a phone-in, and alot of women had rung in and said the pill had caused a complete loss of libido - some after a few years and some after 6-12 months. Even after coming off the pill some of the women's sex drives had not returned. A lot of them were complaining that if they had been aware of this sort of side effect they probably would never have taken the pill.

Obviously, this isn't the case for everyone, but it is something that isn't really highlighted either. Again, though, loss of libido can be attributed to a number of things as people have mentioned.
  • Options
    i don't really know if it does, i read it in cosmo! i would think if its gradual and healthy it would be fine - if its too much weight loss it will effect your health, both physically and mentally.
  • Options
    mine went up!