Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A little while a go i was diagnosed with depression, i recently went back to see my doctor and he said he still thinks im not quite right lol
I have decided not to take any medication, and that i will just try and get better myself since im not seriously ill yet.

But my job is working with kids, and sometimes kids with disabilities. Sometimes put under a lot of stress which just makes me feel ill or cry lol

Should i tell my boss, or just not tell him until something makes me not be able to work or i dunno?
Better to tell him or try and fight it...
any ideas..

Comments

• Options
    I think you should consider telling your boss. Your depression could have an effect on the way you work and him knowing that there is 'something wrong' puts you in an advantageous position.

I've been in a similar situation myself very recently and I told my boss who was absolutely wonderful and recommended a course of action. I'm currently off work but in a few weeks when I go back she is going to be making a few changes at work to help me 'cope' better. If you have a supportive boss I would seriously consider chatting to him about it.
  • Options
    Exactly what Bumblebee said, talk to your Boss, and hopefully they can sort stuff out to ease the strain.
  • Options
    i agree with the other 2 posts! also, maybe if you tell your boss now, then if you need time off work he's more likely to sympathise, otherwise his reaction could be "well, you dont just get depression over night, and you've never mentioned it before!"
    Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    Its not got to the point where im likely to need time off work or anything liek that.
    I just dont like people knowing because i know for a fact that if i tell him within minutes the whole building will know and thats what i dont want.
    Also dont want him to think i'm a liability or anything !!
  • Options
    lexijb wrote:
    Its not got to the point where im likely to need time off work or anything liek that.
    I just dont like people knowing because i know for a fact that if i tell him within minutes the whole building will know and thats what i dont want.

He can't sack you for a medical condition.

Also, he isn't supposed to tell anyone anything that they don't need to know. If you tell him something in confidence it should stay that way. If you are worried that other people will find out then you should also address those concerns with him. If he tells other people then he isn't very professional and shouldn't be a manager! In my situation I didn't need time off work when I first spoke to my boss and now I am off work a couple of months down the line and she is very understanding.
  • Options
    lexijb wrote:
    given that you are working with vulnerable people (children) i would actually advise you not to bother telling him, provided that its not getting in the way of the work which you are doing. because whilst he might be supportive towards you, he might not be, beacuse his interests are mainly with the people (kids) you are working with and what is best for them. but if it is affecting the work you are doing, then it might be best to tell him about it. but ask yourself first: what are you going to gain by telling him? and what could you loose? - but the choice is of course entirely up to you. :)
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    given that you are working with vulnerable people (children) i would actually advise you not to bother telling him, provided that its not getting in the way of the work which you are doing. because whilst he might be supportive towards you, he might not be, beacuse his interests are mainly with the people (kids) you are working with and what is best for them. but if it is affecting the work you are doing, then it might be best to tell him about it. but ask yourself first: what are you going to gain by telling him? and what could you loose? - but the choice is of course entirely up to you. :)

To an extent I agree. Lexijb said:
    Sometimes put under a lot of stress which just makes me feel ill or cry lol

If this is the case then you are already been effected by your work. He may already be wondering why you're crying.
  • Options
    Well sitting here just thinking about it has made me feel so sick. I thought i was getting better, but after loads of little things comin back im not so sure.
    I dont know what to do :( cant keep going like this but i just will not take any medication for it cannot rely on it dont want to. I think i just need that little bit of support....
    Arrrggghhhhhh
    emotions take over once again
    and i lose control
    wonderful!!
  • Options
    If you're suffering with depression I wouldn't advise you take up smoking cannabis by the way.
  • Options
    my husband suffers from depression and went for ages with not taking any pills he wanted to deal with it himself its only been the last couple of months hes had to give in and go back to the docs and have some,they are just there to help you over the bad patch,And as for telling your boss i think its a very good idea.
  • Options
    tri wrote:
    hes had to give in .

I don't really think accepting help in the form of medication is "giving in"
  • Options
    he thinks its giving in!!!!!, he has been a sucidial depressive for four years due to work and in all that time he has never taken a pill untill a few months ago when he decided he couldnt cope with it any longer and needed help ,i dont think its giving in either those are his words.i actually think hes very brave for admitting he needs help and went and got it
  • Options
  • Options
    We do have an article about mental health at work that you might find useful.