Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What do you have to have to become a pilot

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
as the titltle says;

What do you have to have to become a airline pilot?

Comments

• Options
    Quick search on google ...

Look

Have a read of the article :thumb:
  • Options
    hmmm... very intresting

lets me see

. learn to fly a plane
    . go to school and learn some course etc how to fly
  • Options
    expensive to learn to fly plane

or do 9years in RAF :cry:
  • Options
    While there is no college requirement to be a pilot, most airlines look for some college time and prefer an earned degree. College shows that you are trainable and that you can stick to a challenging curriculum and succeed -- qualities an airline would like to know that you have before it spends a lot of money to train you. There are two major career paths to being hired as an airline pilot: civilian or military. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
    In the civilian career path, you can attend a college that offers a two- or four-year degree (some universities even offer advanced degrees in aviation) along with flight training toward various pilot certificates. Several universities in the United States and Canada offer courses along with flight training so that you graduate with a bachelor's or associate's degree in aviation along with a commercial pilot certificate and multi-engine and instrument ratings. There are also technical schools that offer flight training toward a certificate, often in less time. In both types of programs, you often graduate with an instructor's rating, and you've built up some flight time teaching others.

An alternative to a professional school or college is to get your flight training piecemeal from a local flight school. It will take longer, and the level of instruction might not be as rich, but all commercial certificates are equal in the eyes of the FAA. The agency doesn't care where or how they were earned.
  • Options
    how much are we looking at?
  • Options
    Alot!

:yes:
  • Options
    have a look on airline websites

easyjet
    airtours
    british airways
    etc etc
  • Options
    why do i pick the jobs which i cant affored or dont have the grades?
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    about £60k easily

There are some company's that if you fit their requirements, will pay the cost of training for you. But, as soon as you have passed all courses etc you have to start paying them back. Can't quite think of which company's, have a browse on the internet and airliners.net.

You also need to go to college and have some A levels of decent grades.
  • Options
    from the newspaper today;

*25 year old is now a pilot - yongest ever*

Peter who has been flying for seven years *** After completing his flying training the fromer Wirral Grammer School pupil joined Aer Lingus as a first officer on boeing 737 jets operating from Dublin, He joined GB Airways, a BA francise 4 years ago
  • Options
    https://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/baweb1/?newms=info127.

Gives you an idea of how it works at BA, and the process you go through.
  • Options
    I looked into it a few years ago, and at the time (I think it was around 9/11 unfortunately) it was very difficult to find any major airlines that were still taking on pilots into their training schemes.

British Airways was though, I think that I even filled in part of the application form online.

Personally funding your training would, I think, be very expensive, and would probably not enable you to fly in the larger jets because you (if I remember rightly) have to work your way up the various different classes of planes with a certain number of flying hours in each.

I imagine that getting a job where you are funded to do the training would be quite difficult as such things would be competative. yarr.
  • Options
    Academic Qualifications

5 GCSEs or equivalent at Grade C or above, including English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject
    2 or more GCE A Levels in core academic subjects (excluding General Studies and some other subjects) at Grade C or above, or an Honours Degree at Class 2:2 or above. Equivalent qualifications may be acceptable.

Fook sake - why all the C grades - i will never get a decent job, i hate it - i was the nicest, well behave student in my school and this si what i get!
  • Options

Fook sake - why all the C grades - i will never get a decent job, i hate it - i was the nicest, well behave student in my school and this si what i get!

That's a tad defeatist. If that's what is holding you back then you can easily do courses to get the qualifications that you need.
  • Options
    what spend another year doing my GCSEs + other levels?

i left more or less gave up school as i been their 12years
  • Options
    Well if its something you really wanna try and do, it's abit of shit excuse that you can't be arsed do get the grades again. Surely one more year to get the grades wouldn't be to much.

Be as ever its upto you.
  • Options
    can i redo my GCSE's whenever or under 18 etc?
  • Options
    can i redo my GCSE's whenever or under 18 etc?

I know people who took like maths or science again whilst doing A levels at college. If you had to do a number of subjects again it would be at a college and takes a year I think.

And in the Pilot business the best of the bunch are selected first.

Or if you've got shit loads of cash you can buy your way in and aquire certain licences like ATPL etc... we are talking serious cash and if you were to fail you don't get a refund.