Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

scratched with a syringe

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i got scratched with a syringe earlier today. i don't exactly know what was in it. although i do vaguely know the person who used it. they tried to stick it in my arm. i moved my arm away and thats how i got scratched. i've spoken to my gp and he said that although it drew a bit of blood, it was only a scratch and because it (the scratch) was cleaned with alcohol there would be little chance of me catching anything from it. thing is i'm really kind of scared that i could get something. my gp says to watch out for any cold / flu like infections in the next few weeks. does anyone know the liklihood of catching anything? i guess i'm needing a little reassurance atm. has anyone ever heard of anyone catching anything through some similar thing? i can't help feeling really f*king scared that i might have got something... that i might have caught something and in a few years might die... although that might be going over the top a bit... i'm scared. i mean, i don't do drugs... except very occassionally i might take a little something but nothing too serious and certinally nothing with a needle ........ :crying:
what do you guys think?!

Comments

• Options
    most things like HIV you need repeated contact with infected material, but yes one contact can infect BUT this is a very very minute chance. Don't stress out about it because that can lower your immune system a bit.

I'm sure you'll be ok but be vigilant!
  • Options
    Stressing will probably give you flu like symptoms, and stress you out even more. Try your best to relax.

TT is right - there is an absolutely minute change of catching HIV.
  • Options
    if you get to A&E within an hour or so within getting a needlestick injury, they can give you an injection which will cut your risk of contracting HIV by something like 75%. I dont know if it would be too late to get it now for you.
    Im sorry this has happened to you, and although thats not much comfort im sure. You must be so worried, but just keep reminding yourself, the chances of you catching it are minimal.
    hope youre ok.
  • Options
    Very little chance of catching anything tbh. Only 5 people have caught HIV from occupational routes in the UK.

I have had a needlestick, so I do know how you are feeling. Thinking the worst is only natural. But I am sure you will be fine.
  • Options
    i'm still shitting myself over it whilst trying constantly to push it to the back of my mind. :nervous:
    but thanks guys for helping me try and keep it in perspective.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    i'm still shitting myself over it whilst trying constantly to push it to the back of my mind. :nervous:
    but thanks guys for helping me try and keep it in perspective.

Understandable, I stuck myself with a needle just used by a known Hep B patient - I was crapping my pants tbh.

But I have the all clear
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    But I have the all clear
    thing is though if i needed to be checked out, got to wait 12 weeks before any blood tests... and in that time see if i get a cold / the flu or something... but lets hope i don't get any of that. :nervous:

also, i think i'm going to be more careful wrt the people i know (even in the slightest) or the people who i have anything to do with in future. i often end up in bad situations because of other people; or in normal situations which just seem to turn bad. :banghead:
  • Options
    what the hell wer u doing with someone who was trying to prick you? thats really messed up.
  • Options
    Perhaps she's a nurse or a volunteer working with drug addicts?