Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

The contraceptive patch

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Weeeeell I'm off to university in September and having my own room... No parents around... Tons of new people who meet I guess there's a hightened chance of getting a partner isn't there. But I don't really want to get pregnant.

Anyway, there was an article in *The Mail about the contraceptive patch, which is apparently quite an effective method to use, alongside condoms to prevent STDs of course.

See, a friend of mine had an implant under her skin which worked for her, but my mate's Mum went from 16 stone to 22 having had that. It could be 3 years of weight gain (that I'd sooner die than go through). The injection, again lasts for a month and if it messes up your body... Ouch. Plus the pill I'd forget to take.

Apparently there's a coil that you put inside you? And if you get pregnant it effectively causes an abortion or something?

Damn man :( 21 and asking for contraceptive advice... Anybody tried the patch?

Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    kaffrin has the patch and she loves it, same hormones as the pill and u just change the patch each week for three weeks then have a patch free week where u get your period.

i have a non hormonal coil which apart from making my periods a bit heavier i love :thumb: no worries for five years. i dont know about the other stuff u said about it, i was told that it alters the womb lining in a way sperm and eggs don't like. it was a tad uncomfortable going in, but ok. some places won't put them in young girls though, i really had to push for mine. you can also get the mirena coil ( ask GWST about that one) with hormones in.
  • Options
    yup, i'm on the patch atm, and it suits me down to the ground. it has two different hormones (like the combined pill) so it doesn't suit everyone, but if you have a bad reaction, you can just take it off.

i haven't had any side effects at all (but i was on the combined pill for 7 years beforehand, so my body is really used to hormones) and i wouldn't swap onto anything else now.

it's a matter of trial and error, though, in the end.
  • Options
    speak of the devil! :p
  • Options
    im on the pill,with mine u take it every day.21 active pills and 7 placebo (when ya on ya period).i got these so i woulndt forget pills.maybe u shud try em,im sure u could find a time every day or set an alarm every day.very effective.
  • Options
    Apparently there's a coil that you put inside you? And if you get pregnant it effectively causes an abortion or something?

No, it does not cause abortions. The coils can stop a fertilised egg from implanting, but it does not physically remove a implanted embryo from the uterus.

The Fpa might be of some use to you :)
  • Options
    Ive used the patch for just over 2 years.I love it!
    Its so much easier to use than the pill and you dont have to worry about illness causing it to not work.
    I would reccomend the patch to anyone.The only downfall i can see with it is that those weighing over 90kg [14 stone] cant use it.
    Id say definatly give it a try.
  • Options
    Weeeeell I'm off to university in September and having my own room... No parents around... Tons of new people who meet I guess there's a hightened chance of getting a partner isn't there. But I don't really want to get pregnant.

Anyway, there was an article in *The Mail about the contraceptive patch, which is apparently quite an effective method to use, alongside condoms to prevent STDs of course.

See, a friend of mine had an implant under her skin which worked for her, but my mate's Mum went from 16 stone to 22 having had that. It could be 3 years of weight gain (that I'd sooner die than go through). The injection, again lasts for a month and if it messes up your body... Ouch. Plus the pill I'd forget to take.

Damn man :( 21 and asking for contraceptive advice... Anybody tried the patch?

Any advice?

Is this where your brother goes :sour: ?

:lol:
  • Options
    is it the same principle as a nicotine patch then?
  • Options
    A friend of mine has the implant and has had no problems at all with it :) No weight gain or anything like that.
    So it definitely depends on the person. I know I'm considering switching to it at some point after being on the pill for a while with very few difficulties.
  • Options
    see the implant really didnt agree with me at all. different strokes for different folks. all the hormonal methods i tried don't agree with me.
  • Options
    The Patch is fine, easy to you, little side effects its just werid to have a stickers on you at all times but outside of that i would say use the patch
  • Options
    kaffrin has the patch and she loves it, same hormones as the pill and u just change the patch each week for three weeks then have a patch free week where u get your period.

i have a non hormonal coil which apart from making my periods a bit heavier i love :thumb: no worries for five years. i dont know about the other stuff u said about it, i was told that it alters the womb lining in a way sperm and eggs don't like. it was a tad uncomfortable going in, but ok. some places won't put them in young girls though, i really had to push for mine. you can also get the mirena coil ( ask GWST about that one) with hormones in.
    I'm 21, so not really a 'young girl'... Unless ya mean the coil is for loose fuddies? :p
  • Options
    speak of the devil! :p

i'm like the candyman. say my name too often and i appear.
  • Options
    I'm 21, so not really a 'young girl'... Unless ya mean the coil is for loose fuddies? :p

lol, i will rephrase. women who haven't had a family. generally they prefer us to be using hormonal contraception. my mate was refused on the grounds she hadn't had a baby.